Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
the other would have required a person to view an ultrasound of the baby they are killing before going through with an abortion. Both of these are sensible laws. With abortion you want a more educated patient (that law would not have banned abortion)
It is really my hope that all who oppose a womans choice are required to adopt/support these children if born. I mean after all they do not want to allow any options....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Speaking of ol' Virginny, the song was actually REMOVED AS THE STATE SONG in recent years because it was not politically correct enough for the liberal sensibilities of some people.

Carry Me Back to Old Virginny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This kind of historical revisionist liberallism is increasing in other places as well. This song was the state song of Virginia for a long time yet now people want to change it for PC reasons. Definitely shows the enroachment of liberalism and political correctness.....as well as the kind of ethnic "awarness" that led many to vote for Obama for racial reasons....and yes there are many in NOVA as well as in Richmond and nationwide who voted for Obama for racial reasons during both elections.

Old Folks at Home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people also want to change the state song of Florida because of liberal sensibilities of newcomers from outside the South. This song is VERY similar to Ol Virginny and is a nostalgic view of the antebellum South sung from a black perspective. Both Ol Virginny and Old Folks at Home do convey a sense of loss and nostalgia for the past.

And there are also those who want to change the words of Maryland My Maryland since it calls Lincoln a despot and a tyrant.......

BUT they can truly liberalize Ol Virginny by changing a few lyrics, so that its about an illegal Mexican alien trying to come to the land where cotton grows!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 PM

I wonder if its a matter of time before some liberal newcomers decide to rename Jefferson Davis Highway.......you know that might offend some people....just like Confederate History Month. Oh yes and Lee Highway and Leesburg too!

Virginia is a Southern state and played a critical part in the Civil War. Its hypocritical and simply stupid to have that uproar in NOVA over Confederate History Month when major highways in the area are named after legendary Confederate heroes. And of course nationally we now have the Lincoln movie which I'm sure is full of anti-Southern propaganda, lies about the war and its causes, and which probably does not even attempt to achieve any level of historical accuracy.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,913 times
Its also hypocritical to promote moving foward in this country if we are gona celebrate a holiday based on bigotry!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
And of course nationally we now have the Lincoln movie which I'm sure is full of anti-Southern propaganda, lies about the war and its causes, and which probably does not even attempt to achieve any level of historical accuracy.
Good to see you're so open-minded you can't be bothered to watch a film before trashing its content. Refreshing. Very forward-thinking of you. I'd go so far as to call you, sir, a progressive!

Last edited by GeorgiaTransplant; 12-19-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
I'm from Long Island, NY, went to college near the Canadian border, I saw way more Confederate flags up there than I do here in the Roanoke vicinity.

When I see one here it makes me happy that the local culture isn't dead. Sometimes it feels like Long Island here. Doesn't feel too "Southern" until you get out to say, Floyd.

We specifically chose VA for the reasons Tom Lennox specified, NY is billions upon billions in the hole and have already taxed whatever they can, ergo they will only raise thsoe taxes even higher. My company being forced to pay (another) payroll tax fund the corrupt and inept MTA was the final straw.

Now I pay taxes to Richmond instead of Albany, and since theyre much lower I have more $ to spend in the area, which is the best way to "spread the wealth".

VA going the way of MD or NY would be a very tragic thing. Its really nice here as a father and business owner. Good place for kids and commerce.

Edit: Just wanted to share one more thing to kind of illustrate my point the high tax states are having problems, out of all the friends I went to high school with, only one of my friends is still in NY. All of the others left, the bulk are in either Carolina, afew in FL, myself in VA, and one in KY. We're all 29-30 years old and the high cost of living and taxes chased us out of NY.

When we we got our estimate to move the mover said we were his 11th young couple that day doing an out of state move. Schleppers did a great job, highly recommend them.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

It is really my hope that all who oppose a womans choice are required to adopt/support these children if born. I mean after all they do not want to allow any options....
The proposed ultrasound law does not take away her "choice". It just allows her to make a more informed choice.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
There are proud southerners in Virginia and elsewhere who are embarassed by the racism and right wing neo confed politics expressed by some folks.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I'm from Long Island, NY, went to college near the Canadian border, I saw way more Confederate flags up there than I do here in the Roanoke vicinity.

When I see one here it makes me happy that the local culture isn't dead. Sometimes it feels like Long Island here. Doesn't feel too "Southern" until you get out to say, Floyd.

We specifically chose VA for the reasons Tom Lennox specified, NY is billions upon billions in the hole and have already taxed whatever they can, ergo they will only raise thsoe taxes even higher. My company being forced to pay (another) payroll tax fund the corrupt and inept MTA was the final straw.

Now I pay taxes to Richmond instead of Albany, and since theyre much lower I have more $ to spend in the area, which is the best way to "spread the wealth".

VA going the way of MD or NY would be a very tragic thing. Its really nice here as a father and business owner. Good place for kids and commerce.

Edit: Just wanted to share one more thing to kind of illustrate my point the high tax states are having problems, out of all the friends I went to high school with, only one of my friends is still in NY. All of the others left, the bulk are in either Carolina, afew in FL, myself in VA, and one in KY. We're all 29-30 years old and the high cost of living and taxes chased us out of NY.

When we we got our estimate to move the mover said we were his 11th young couple that day doing an out of state move. Schleppers did a great job, highly recommend them.
This is very true. Many people work in Maryland but live in Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, and even Pennsylvania (though the I-83 commute to Baltimore is longer than the commuting around Montgomery County/NOVA, Salisbury/DE, or Cumberland/Hagerstown/WV. I have a friend who came here from Michigan for pharmacy school and just got her degree. She had considered staying and working here, but this year O'Malley our governor raised income taxes on people making over $100,000 a year and this made the difference for her and she is now moving back to Michigan, and will be paying taxes and spending money in Michigan instead of Maryland. i know people who went to high school in Gaithersburg and Rockville who now live in Virginia because of lower taxes there not just state but local. Many of my friends have moved to southern Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia. Our policies are driving out a lot of educated, high-earning people.

Many people also spend their money in Virginia buying cigarettes, alcohol, and fireworks because these things are either taxed more or more regulated here. Our state government is now focusing hard on catching "bootleg cigarettes" from Virginia while that money could be spent on lowering the cigarette taxes so it wouldn't be worth the gas money going to VA to get them then there will be no "smuggling". our government also goes after people who buy furniture from stores in Virginia and Delaware and have it delivered and force these homeowners to pay state taxes on these items.

On the OTHER HAND.....I know people who have moved from Virginia and WV to Maryland because it is easier to get food stamps, Section 8 housing. While the high taxes drive away higher income folks from Maryland, this state encourages and rewards illegal immigration. Baltimore CIty is losing population and they are now trying to reverse this trend by welcoming illegal aliens, making the city more welcoming to illegals. Montgomery County started the trend of building labor centers for illegals.

I know many Marylanders who have moved to Virginia and are even more conservative than locals in Lynchburg and Roanoke because they have seen with their own eyes what liberalism does. Just like in many small towns I've been to nationwide.....the most conservative folks are actually NOT the ones who have lived there for generations but the ones who moved their from the city or from more liberal areas.

Its the same trend on the Eastern Shore and parts of rural Maryland. The native folks are more moderate. The first wave of transplants, the ones who left Baltimore, Washington DC, Montgomery County, and PG County in the 60s and 70s, are the MOST conservative. Many of my friends parents and grandparents lived in Baltimore City and Montgomery County and PG County before the 80s and they are as conservative and religious as your stereotypical Lynchburg or Danville resident. They own guns, hate Obama, go to church every Sunday and refuse to say Happy Holidays. But the third, younger wave of transplants, like the yuppies now populating Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandra, etc etc are the liberals who are imposing themselves on everyone else.

So if Virginia doesn't want $8 tolls, a $2 (possilby futre $3) tax on a pack of Newports, high liquor, income, and gasoline tax, in-state tuition for illegal aliens, severe growth restrictions in rural areas, an end to the death penalty, and a focus on more and more intense and overcrowded development the march toward Democrats and liberalism must end.

And yes, in the most liberal nanny state part of Maryland - MoCo - public libraries have no Christmas trees cause that may offend people, trans fats are banned from restaurants, and there is a tax on all shopping bags whether paper or plastic.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
The proposed ultrasound law does not take away her "choice". It just allows her to make a more informed choice.
The law was unnecessary; other than for those opposed who hoped to sway a person from their decision.

I will safely assume both you and I are not going to change our opinions. That said I am not going to derail this thread down this path as I amsure there are many specific discussions allready started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia