Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM

67 posts, read 538,082 times

Advertisements

I have never owned a house with well water.

I was just wondering if it is generally safe to drink etc.

Also, do I have to be substantially more careful as to what i am doing on my property when spraying pestacides on the lawn or working on my car etc?

Although I am not the "greenest" person on earth, I don't want to contaminate my well.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:28 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,920 times
Get a water softener. It has been said, that if Jesus ever wanted to come back and walk on water, he'd come to the Shenandoah Valley, as it has the hardest water on the planet.
Chances are your well will be pretty deep, avoiding contamination. Mine is 400ft, my dad's is 375, and we live three hours apart.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:55 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,721 times
Mine is in the area of 400' and I get about 15gpm in Franklin County. We don't find our water to be very hard and our water softener is therefore bypassed. I do however have a 10 micron whole house water filter just in case sand particles make their way into the water supply.

If there are wells on 4 acre or larger parcels then I wouldn't worry too much about contamination - but since water tests are free, you should have them done annually. I'd be more concerned in subdivisions where you might have forty 2 acre lots, each with their own well and septic system. Then those pesticides and chemicals that don't break down easily might survive a 400' trip down into the aquifer in large enough quantities that safety becomes an issue.

Sean

Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM

97 posts, read 616,320 times
my well is 100' feet deep just on the eastern side of the blue ridge near natural bridge. Hasn't gone dry in 30 years and pumps 3 houses spickets full pressure at any time. guestimate a capability of 20 gpm

However, a close friend has methanel in his water near roanoke in catawba and has a very intracate system to seperate it.

its a crap shoot but water shortages come rarely overall

Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,421 times
Generally wells are fine, but a filtering/softening system might be good. (You can have your water tested if you don't have one)

If you have a deep well (over 100', generally it's like 10 inches in diameter with a red cap or something of the likes) then whatever you do shouldn't really affect the well. If you have a shallow well (generally like 25-35 feet) then you need to be really carefull. Shallow wells are usually like 2.5-3 feet in diameter at the surface, and are concrete, with a concrete lid. You can usually lift the lid off (with the help of some friends) and then look straight down into the water.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
You've responded to a 2007 post so hopefully they have made their purchases by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia