U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,502,757 times

Advertisements

Single mother of a nine year old daughter. This year I drove through Virginia and immediately was taken aback by the beauty I wanted to move to the state at that moment! I would like to know a bit about the state though; the grade schools there, (my daughter is dyslexic), I was also accepted at a community college for paralegal studies. I hear and have noticed that the state as a whole is rather expensive. I have my bachelors, am in graduate school for my MBA. I am 26 and I guess I am put under the label as "black" but I do not own such a title, I am a human with brown beautiful skin. So I need a place a bit liberal and not close-minded, I am thinking of great activities that me and my daughter can participate in as well. Is it hard to get employment in the state? What city do you believe I should reside in. I love to play sports and remain active. Public transportation is a must as well and the violence index shouldn't be past the United States index. Oh, I'm from Texas, if that helps anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM

80 posts, read 186,481 times
I think you would really like Charlottesville if you're into natural beauty. It's near the mountains and if you wanna go to the beach it would prolly be around a 3 hour drive, not too bad. There's plenty of hiking that can be done. Thomas Jefferson used to live there and you can visit his home (Monticello). Charlottesville is also a fairly liberal place because of UVA which is an excellent University. It also has a really nice downtown and is more diverse than the surrounding area with lots of interesting peeps. I couldn't say too much on the cost of living except that I know it will be more expensive than most of VA with the exception of northern VA and the Hampton Roads area. But that's the price to pay if you wanna live in a more liberal area unfortunately lol. Anywho, you might wanna check it out.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,179,073 times
How far is Charlottesville from Yorktown? Yorktown has a small beach area that is pretty nice.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,631,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
How far is Charlottesville from Yorktown? Yorktown has a small beach area that is pretty nice.
About 2 hours with no traffic. But in the summer, there is ALWAYS traffic on I64, especially weekends.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM

939 posts, read 1,604,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Single mother of a nine year old daughter. This year I drove through Virginia and immediately was taken aback by the beauty I wanted to move to the state at that moment! I would like to know a bit about the state though; the grade schools there, (my daughter is dyslexic), I was also accepted at a community college for paralegal studies. I hear and have noticed that the state as a whole is rather expensive. I have my bachelors, am in graduate school for my MBA. I am 26 and I guess I am put under the label as "black" but I do not own such a title, I am a human with brown beautiful skin. So I need a place a bit liberal and not close-minded, I am thinking of great activities that me and my daughter can participate in as well. Is it hard to get employment in the state? What city do you believe I should reside in. I love to play sports and remain active. Public transportation is a must as well and the violence index shouldn't be past the United States index. Oh, I'm from Texas, if that helps anything
The only place with low-crime, plenty of opportunity and public transit worth a damn is Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most expensive areas in the nation to live, which may be a deciding factor for you. The crime rates in NoVa are incredibly low considering the density and proximity to a major city, they have to be some of the lowest in the nation to be honest. The public transit system is also the second best behind NYC and the school systems are literally the best public school systems in America. Just be prepared to pay out the wazoo for housing.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,926,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The only place with low-crime, plenty of opportunity and public transit worth a damn is Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most expensive areas in the nation to live, which may be a deciding factor for you. The crime rates in NoVa are incredibly low considering the density and proximity to a major city, they have to be some of the lowest in the nation to be honest. The public transit system is also the second best behind NYC and the school systems are literally the best public school systems in America. Just be prepared to pay out the wazoo for housing.

To explain: the term "Northern Virginia" as commonly used means the suburbs of Washington DC (anything within 30 - 40 miles from Washington). It does NOT include for instance, Winchester and the mountain areas, even though they're technically just as far north. I would also add that the Northern VA suburbs, besides being expensive, have among the very worst traffic congestion problem in the USA.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,082,177 times
Richmond might work. Or Charlottesville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia