U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM

19 posts, read 37,724 times
Default List of Dry Counties in Virginia

Does anyone know of a list of dry counties in Virginia....I am looking at a possible relocation to the Charlottesville area and I know Albemarle is wet, but can anyone tell me if Greene County is "Dry" and if it is, what does that mean? Does it mean you just can't buy alcohol there or does it mean you can't home brew (beer), bring it in from Albemarle county, etc?

Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM

942 posts, read 802,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyat6500feet View Post
Does anyone know of a list of dry counties in Virginia....I am looking at a possible relocation to the Charlottesville area and I know Albemarle is wet, but can anyone tell me if Greene County is "Dry" and if it is, what does that mean? Does it mean you just can't buy alcohol there or does it mean you can't home brew (beer), bring it in from Albemarle county, etc?

Thanks for your help.
Greene county is not dry, but I do not have a source list of other dry counties. However, I do think that "dry" only refers to the sale of alcohol and not the possession or creation. Can you believe it's 2012, and we're asking about dry counties in Va while Colorado is legalizing pot. We've got a long way to go here in va...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Greene county is not dry, but I do not have a source list of other dry counties. However, I do think that "dry" only refers to the sale of alcohol and not the possession or creation. Can you believe it's 2012, and we're asking about dry counties in Va while Colorado is legalizing pot. We've got a long way to go here in va...
You can thank the fact we're not allowed to put stuff like that on the ballot. Our Richmond overlords know better.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM

the question of Marijuana legalization isn't even allowed on the ballot? I had no idea... how is that even possible? I mean, I'm not too concerned because VA is so backwards that it would never pass (maybe in 15 years), but to not even allow the question to be posed is messed up....

Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 PM

882 posts, read 853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyat6500feet View Post

Thanks for your help.
Well, a quick search @ the VA ABC store list shows any # of locations in Albermarle, Greene, and every other county in the Commonwealth's midsection. I've heard the rumors that there are "dry" counties, but the ABC system seems to have at least one store in each...
On the plus side, VA is also one of the few states to allow interstate wine shipment.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 AM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
I think there are some areas where the liquor stores aren't open on Sundays. Not sure if that's by county though.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Liqour store hours on Sunday are determined by the population they serve. If the area is deemed to have a 100K plus market, they get Sunday hours.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM

270 posts, read 499,346 times
According to the VA ABC's 2011 report there are still ten dry counties in the Old Dominion. Most of these are in the extreme south west. The ten counties are: Bland, Buchanan, Charlotte, Craig, Floyd, Grayson, Highland, Lee, Patrick and Russell.

http://www.abc.state.va.us/admin/annual/docs/2011ar.pdf

Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 PM

19 posts, read 37,724 times
Thanks everyone...there are conflicting reports all over the web, I did finally find the alcohol laws in Green County, the only restriction is the times allowed to sell Alcohol...Thanks again.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM

882 posts, read 853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
According to the VA ABC's 2011 report there are still ten dry counties in the Old Dominion. Most of these are in the extreme south west. The ten counties are: Bland, Buchanan, Charlotte, Craig, Floyd, Grayson, Highland, Lee, Patrick and Russell.

http://www.abc.state.va.us/admin/annual/docs/2011ar.pdf
Note that "dry" doesn't mean "No alchol sales" - there are zero counties in VA w/o a licensed establishment, and those in the SW of the Commonwealth have more than a few unlicensed establishments...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia