U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA, from Boston
1,424 posts, read 2,084,283 times
Reputation: 661

Advertisements

Hopewells is pretty bad too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
2,893 posts, read 3,043,440 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Because they are hard on traffic enforcement that makes them crooked? Have evidence to support thisor are you just pissed over your (undeserved I'm sure) speeding ticket? And if it was such a crooked county why would judges dismiss or reduce the fines?
Bigfoot, I travel all the time I-95, to 58 to Tidewater. I never received a speeding ticket. I can see this like others said, from observation. They make money off tickets, and they are very crooked, I don't know about the judge reducing or dismissing the fine. But, that is a big corridor for travel, and they know people are coming from out of state and cannot come all the way back to court. Crooks! They have nothing else to do, no calls to respond to, so they sit and do traffic stops all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Reputation: 5564
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Bigfoot, I travel all the time I-95, to 58 to Tidewater. I never received a speeding ticket. I can see this like others said, from observation. They make money off tickets, and they are very crooked, I don't know about the judge reducing or dismissing the fine. But, that is a big corridor for travel, and they know people are coming from out of state and cannot come all the way back to court. Crooks! They have nothing else to do, no calls to respond to, so they sit and do traffic stops all the time.

How about posting some evidence on these allegations. Speculation is not evidence. Seeing 1-3 officers working radar on 95 is not evidence of what you are claiming. Either post proof or you're seriously exaggerating and likely lying. I realize this is an area heavily worked by the local PD but show me where they are crooks or doing anything dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
2,893 posts, read 3,043,440 times
Reputation: 2044
Ok, bigfoot, I don't want to bother with obtaining evidence. It is solely observation. Seeing 1-3 officers working radar consistently shows that are money hungry for the county and that they have no calls for service or very little. I cannot show evidence to show they are crooks or being dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,146 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Because they are hard on traffic enforcement that makes them crooked? Have evidence to support thisor are you just pissed over your (undeserved I'm sure) speeding ticket? And if it was such a crooked county why would judges dismiss or reduce the fines?
Nope-- they're notorious for it. Google it. There was an article in the Virginian Pilot about Emporia's revenue from speeding fines. It's abnormally high. It's a town that people in SouthEast Virginia have to pass through to get to I95 South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,146 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Ok, bigfoot, I don't want to bother with obtaining evidence. It is solely observation. Seeing 1-3 officers working radar consistently shows that are money hungry for the county and that they have no calls for service or very little. I cannot show evidence to show they are crooks or being dishonest.
They know that drivers unfamiliar with their "strict speeding" policies are using their town to get to/from I-95 to/from Hampton Roads. They also know that you're probably not going to drive all the way back out there to fight a ticket, so they're taking advantage. They know very well what they're doing. There was an article about it in the newspaper a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Reputation: 5564
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico757 View Post
Nope-- they're notorious for it. Google it. There was an article in the Virginian Pilot about Emporia's revenue from speeding fines. It's abnormally high. It's a town that people in SouthEast Virginia have to pass through to get to I95 South.
I'm well aware of their reputation and I don't like what they do. But show me where they are crooked. Being aggressive on a current law on the books does not make them crooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 PM
 
1,679 posts, read 2,568,661 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm well aware of their reputation and I don't like what they do. But show me where they are crooked. Being aggressive on a current law on the books does not make them crooked.
Its crooked to use speeding laws to fleece the taxpayers

The police in VA do this again and again it seems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Richmond
401 posts, read 718,083 times
Reputation: 309
It may be viewed as unethical but being crooked, in my experience, is not the same. They are not being dishonest or breaking a law. They are leveraging a circumstance to the monetary benefit of the county/city. If you take advantage of all the legal tax benefits are you being crooked? Many people consider some of these as unethical and it might be viewed similarly.
Having stated that I do not think it is crooked, I do think preying on folks who are unaware of the speed trap situation is bad for the area and state. More revenue and a positive image is generated by attracting people to the state by using more common sense than to rigidly apply speeding laws for monetary gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 AM
 
109 posts, read 125,823 times
Reputation: 33
I fought my speeding ticket and got it reduced to defective equipment. I hired a lawyer. I was going 11mph over the speed limit. And I never had to set foot back in that County. Will never spend a penny of my money down there.

They are crooks!

IMHO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top