U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,313 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about the Giles County area? Is this a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,464,052 times
I'm wondering the same thing as it's one county I'm considering because I'd really like to live in southwestern VA.

Giles looks good for me on what I can see on the internet as I checked out crime, demographics, cost of living, comfort index (temperature), etc. Of course, it's always nice to hear from someone who knows first-hand how it is.

Thanks for any replies so cann and I can get an idea from the someone who really knows.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:54 AM

73 posts, read 127,081 times
Default Giles

My roommate and one of my best friends is from Giles County, which is about 30-40 minutes west of Blacksburg. Let's just say that Giles County is hickville. Not the people so much (people tend to be pretty educated because Virginia Tech is nearby), but the place itself is in the middle of nowhere. If one were to have a job, he or she would obviously have at least a 30 minute commute, if not an hour or more. I mean, I would personally never in a million years for any amount of money live there, but I'm a child of the Washington, DC suburbs. Now my friend from Giles, who loves fishing, hiking, hunting and the outdoors in general, loves it there, so it just depends on your personality.

I mean, if you're into, ya know, rural areas then go for it. If you are attracted to human contact, shopping, jobs, and restaurants, then I'd have to say re-consider.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:41 AM

232 posts, read 1,601,330 times
I believe that the last analysis was a bit on the harsh side. Obviously anyone who has any interest whatsoever in Giles County and has done any research knows that it is a very rural, sparsely populated area. It doesn't mean no human interaction or things of that nature. I currently live in the Atlanta suburbs and grew up in Carroll County, Va. In my opinion, living in a place that is so sprawled with all the other big city stuff (crime, traffic, neverending suburbs, rat races, etc) is not worth the 90 minute to 2 hour commutes which are very common in Atlanta. Yeah, big city this, big city that... we are heading away from this monstrosity of a place next year for a more medium sized area. (North Carolina) Back to the Giles county stuff... that is a very remote area. The good is that you are less than an hour from either Blacksburg or Roanoke. To me, that is a fine distance.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:52 AM

Yes, I definitely want a rural area with cooler summers and mountains. The thought of driving and seeing never-ending mountains is wonderful.

I live in TX now and want to get away from the heat and tornadoes. I know no place is perfect, but this heat and often high humidity is totally undesirable.

I'm considering VA, TN, NC, or WV and plan to visit soon, but I just don't know where yet.

I'm being picky for sure but at my age, moving again is a big deal and I don't want to look back and say, "Well, the grass isn't always greener on the other side."

Thanks!!

Old 10-07-2006, 03:47 PM

I'm in the same boat as you it sounds. We plan to move to Winston Salem, NC early next year. We have family relatively close by. We like that area because it has a very strong job market and dirt cheap cost of living. You can live in a city, suburban, or our choice will be suburban/ rural area. It is within an hours drive of the mountains and doesn't have many of the problems that Atlanta has. I'm sure there are things I will miss about Ga, but I feel that this place causes you to age a little quicker. My family has moved around quite a bit and are accepting that no place is perfect. You should like that area of Virginia. If you are looking for mountains and so forth and still want to live close to a medium sized city, check out Roanoke. No traffic problems, you'll have a few floods here and there, but the weather is very nice. You can live in some outlying areas (in the mountains) and be a very easy drive to the city. There is this little unknown place that I loved when I lived there called Catawba. It is absolutely beautiful and only 20 - 30 minutes from downtown, yet it feels like it is a world away. Here in Atlanta 20 - 30 minutes costs no less than 300-400k for a decent area. (traffic). More affordable areas in the suburbs are so g.d. far away and the traffic only continues to get worse.... I can't wait to escape.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:13 PM

463 posts, read 1,519,584 times
Default Winston-Salem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you it sounds. We plan to move to Winston Salem, NC early next year. We have family relatively close by. We like that area because it has a very strong job market and dirt cheap cost of living. You can live in a city, suburban, or our choice will be suburban/ rural area. It is within an hours drive of the mountains and doesn't have many of the problems that Atlanta has. I'm sure there are things I will miss about Ga, but I feel that this place causes you to age a little quicker. My family has moved around quite a bit and are accepting that no place is perfect. You should like that area of Virginia. If you are looking for mountains and so forth and still want to live close to a medium sized city, check out Roanoke. No traffic problems, you'll have a few floods here and there, but the weather is very nice. You can live in some outlying areas (in the mountains) and be a very easy drive to the city. There is this little unknown place that I loved when I lived there called Catawba. It is absolutely beautiful and only 20 - 30 minutes from downtown, yet it feels like it is a world away. Here in Atlanta 20 - 30 minutes costs no less than 300-400k for a decent area. (traffic). More affordable areas in the suburbs are so g.d. far away and the traffic only continues to get worse.... I can't wait to escape.
I'm from N.C, lived in northern VA for the past 15 years and moved back to N.C. about a year ago. Specifically to the Triad area, of which Winston-Salem is a part. W-S is a dirty, ugly, heavily trafficked city with a host of problems, not the least of which is that they've annexed some 21 miles of outlying areas - so that homeowners' will have to pay 21 months worth of back taxes to the city. Housing prices are far from dirt cheap- unless you want to live in or near some really nasty, high crime areas.

A strong job market? Surely you jest. I think you're going to be unpleasantly surprised by what numerous companies/ employers' idea of "top pay" is.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-07-2006 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-07-2006, 06:36 PM

Steven,

Good luck to you and your family on your move. I have a friend in Marietta and one in Canton and have been to Atlanta. I didn't like it one bit. The interstate is one of the worst in the country, I understand, and the crime rate is horrible. I was scared to death when I had to walk to my car in downtown Atlanta. The north GA mountains are nice though.

Thanks for the information on the area in which I'm interested. Regarding the floods......that's no problem as areas around where I live flood too but I don't live in one as my house is kind of up on a hill of sort and there is no way it can flood even though I don't live far from a lake. How bad does the flooding get? Isn't it usually in low-lying areas that one can avoid when purchasing a home? In other words, when there is heavy rain, there are places that don't get flooded, right. I just don't relish the thought of the hassle if my home were flooded.

Thanks for the tip about Catawba. I can't wait to take a trip up to VA. Hopefully that will happen next summer or Christmas or Spring break. I work for a school district, so that's the only time I can go. I don't want to house-hunt in the snow, so I'll more than likely wait March or June.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:37 PM

Compared to Atlanta W-S has NO, I repeat, NO traffic problems. Compared to Atlanta, W-S has cheap housing closer to the city. I don't intend to live in the city, or even Forsyth County for that matter. There are outlying counties such as Stokes, Yadkin, Davie, and Davidson that are all within reasonable difference. I realize that it isn't in the same league as Atlanta or NoVa in terms of jobs, but it is possible to find a job. In the industry I am in, I should be okay. Some sectors aren't quite as strong I know. I can't argue that it is a somewhat dirty city in appearance. Thats fine, as long as I can live 30-40 minutes away, I'm fine with that. In the triad, with which I am familiar as I lived not far away as a kid and teen, It is possible to work in either Winston or Greensboro and live in the other. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a matter of pros and cons, it works for my family compared to Atlanta.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:52 PM

463 posts, read 1,519,584 times
Default W-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
Compared to Atlanta W-S has NO, I repeat, NO traffic problems. Compared to Atlanta, W-S has cheap housing closer to the city. I don't intend to live in the city, or even Forsyth County for that matter. There are outlying counties such as Stokes, Yadkin, Davie, and Davidson that are all within reasonable difference. I realize that it isn't in the same league as Atlanta or NoVa in terms of jobs, but it is possible to find a job. In the industry I am in, I should be okay. Some sectors aren't quite as strong I know. I can't argue that it is a somewhat dirty city in appearance. Thats fine, as long as I can live 30-40 minutes away, I'm fine with that. In the triad, with which I am familiar as I lived not far away as a kid and teen, It is possible to work in either Winston or Greensboro and live in the other. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a matter of pros and cons, it works for my family compared to Atlanta.
Sorry, but since I dealt with the D.C. metro area traffic for years ( 3rd worst gridlock in the nation-- sometimes alternating with Atlanta for that *prized* position) I think I'm qualified to speak about bad traffic, and W-S has it.

Outlying areas such as Clemmons, Advance, Mocksville and Yadkin County (especially Yadkin county) have become highly desirable and *not* inexpensive places to live. Been away for a while, huh?

Louisville and Pfafftown were among two of the areas that W-S annexed. Do a google search for Forsyth Citizens Against Forced Annexation. They lost the court battle re: annexation so much of the information you find will be outdated but you may find a contact address so that someone can tell you what all of the most recently annexed areas are.

And to stay on topic, Giles county is BEAUTIFUL! What are the top job fields there? Pay scale? Best areas in which to work?

Best wishes!

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-08-2006 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or