U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 AM

154 posts, read 324,174 times

Advertisements

Museum District (not too expensive), the Westhampton area around U of R. The is an old money, Southern feel to the western part of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM

203 posts, read 339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollinsva View Post
Hi all,

I posted in the Richmond forum asking just how 'southern' the city still is, but I thought I might get a better idea of what I'm looking for by posting in the Virginia forum as well.

I was born in Fairfax and grew up both in Virginia (Ashburn) and Alabama (all throughout the state). As such, I'm kind of a mix of northern and southern, and I think that heading back home to Virginia might be perfect for me. (Career-wise, it's definitely a good move, so this is the only consideration left.)

Southern culture is incredibly important to me. When I first moved to Alabama, I didn't like it, but now it's grown on me and the culture has become a part of me. Friendliness and southern hospitality, the cuisine, the SEC sports (I know that's not in VA, but that's okay), the landscape and just the way things look and feel. (And the women.)

I've been extensively researching various places in Virginia so that I can take a trip to all of them in early January and decide where I'd like to live. I was originally thinking Alexandria, but I know that there's not going to be any southern culture there, so I'm beginning to move away from the idea of moving back to Northern Virginia and I'm now looking at the rest of the state. I probably wouldn't be interested in Roanoke as it's too far from Washington, where I'll have to commute to every once in a while. I'm not sure the southern culture will still be all that strong in the Hampton Roads area.

So, I'm primarily looking at Richmond and Charlottesville, but I'm open to other suggestions. That's why I'm posting here. I would greatly appreciate any input all of you have.

Thanks!

Brandon
Try checking out the Town of Remington VA. I lived there for 6 months or so a few years ago ... and had NEVER lived in a "small town" in my life. I was an Arlington kid. I thought all the stores should be open 24 hours a day. It took me awhile to appreciate the friendliness and genuine "southern hospitality" of a town with only about 1,000 people in it. Hell, I had lived in apartment buildings with higher populations. But it did grow on me. And I was actually a bit regretful when a job change brought me back into the chaotic hustle and bustle of Northern Va.

If you need to be near DC, but don't have to commute there every day, Remington might be your answer. It's just off Route 29, about 20 miles Southwest of Manassas, and sits roughly halfway between Warrenton and Culpeper (each is about 11-12 miles from Remington). Most of the time, traffic is minimal, and the Town Hall and the DMV share the same little office on Main Street. Need to pay your water bill ... go to the counter on the left. Need to renew your tags ... go to the counter on the right.

One of the best ways to get the feel of a new and unfamiliar place is by spending a few hours at a local restaurant. There are only 2 or 3 restaurants actually in the Town of Remington, and the Corner Deli is the restaurant where most of Remington's locals go. Food isn't that great, but it's consistent. And dining there gives you the opportunity to observe the natives in their natural habitat.

Hopefully it will be "southern" enough for you. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,267,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollinsva View Post
It looks like I'd like it, but it's a little far away for what I'm looking for right now. How's Midlothian? I'm looking at the counties immediately surrounding Richmond, I probably won't be able to get rural, but definitely more suburban but with easy access to the city and to I-95, preferably with water and somewhat upper middle class, I suppose.
If you like to be near a lake like in your last post, Smith Mountain Lake between Lynchburg and Roanoke is very nice with lots of upscale homes around it. Richmond is also a very classic Southern city with a lot of history and charm.

And Eiois I did live in Lynchburg for a summer and have many friends there, and also have family and friends in Falls Church and Vienna in NOVA so I know the differences. I have travelled all over VA.......NOVA, Fredericksburg, Winchester, Lynchburg, Chincoteague, Roanoke, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach. I grew up in the Deep South in Louisiana. I unfortunately live in Maryland now and have to deal with this liberalism. And look at the news coming out of New York and California. Forget the liberals taking away your guns. They evne want to take away your super size sodas, happy meals, and plastic bags.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,474,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And Eiois I did live in Lynchburg for a summer and have many friends there, and also have family and friends in Falls Church and Vienna in NOVA so I know the differences. I have travelled all over VA.......NOVA, Fredericksburg, Winchester, Lynchburg, Chincoteague, Roanoke, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach. I grew up in the Deep South in Louisiana. I unfortunately live in Maryland now and have to deal with this liberalism. And look at the news coming out of New York and California. Forget the liberals taking away your guns. They evne want to take away your super size sodas, happy meals, and plastic bags.
I spent 2 years in VA, there is a difference between living there and traveling there.

I don't agree with bans of anything at all and I'm ok with regulating them but these are personal responsibilities that an individual one must be responsible for.

Having lived in California, I wouldn't mind moving back there (given the right opportunity) so I can enjoy all the things and activities that I'm not able to do here in MD year-round. Life is too short.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,614,613 times
BCollins, I wish you would have researched this question on here before you posted your query. You would have found that this issue has been hashed & rehashed over & over again.

And a reminder: Virginia Tech is an inaugural member of the Southern Conference, precursor to the SEC. One could say VT has deeper Southern sports roots than Alabama, based on this alone.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 AM

1,565 posts, read 971,745 times
Lexington..
But my view is based on regular trips there in the mid-late 90s, so I don't know how much it may have changed in the last 15 years (?)
The presence of VMI, the spots dedicated to Lee & Stonewall Jackson (including an annual Lee-Jackson parade), historical architecture, ever present reminders of Virginia history.. it always had a deeply Virginia & Southern feel to me. Locals showed Southern hospitality when I was dealing with 'em, so..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia