U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM

345 posts, read 580,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Thought you wanted diversity? Oh..diversity according to YOUR own definition! Gotcha!

How about staying where you are?
OH, you are just to smart for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM

203 posts, read 339,672 times
Cool Dale City's diversity *works*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Hawaii is VERY different than Oregon. The folks in Hawaii are very passionate people, you can pretty much tell in the first few mins of meeting someone if you will end up there friend or not.

Oregon, for me anyway, everyone is nice to you but 7 years of living there I was unable to make a single strong friendship with anyone. That might be due to my race or just being slightly different then them, who knows. I am Cuban, but grew up in Hawaii. I don't really look Hispanic for some reason, might be that awesome Hawaiian food.

Whats your thoughts on a city called Dale city? Doing research on that city next.
Funny you should ask about Dale City. My wife and I have been living in Dale City for the last 4 or 5 years, in a quiet suburban cul-de-sac less than a mile from major roads. Dale City is not actually a "city" as usually defined. It is an unincorporated community within Prince William County VA, and has a Woodbridge VA Zip Code. Here's a link: Dale City, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are the *newest* residents of this cul-de-sac (except for a couple of the youngest children, who hadn't been born yet when we first moved here).

Living in the six homes in this cul-de-sac are:

2 white couples (no kids for either);

1 interracial couple (he's black, she's white), with one of their grown children, and several of their grandchildren also living there (I think all their children and most of their grandchildren were born in the house they bought here about 30 years ago);

1 Salvadoran family, with several kids;

1 Honduran family, with several kids; and

1 Nepalese family, with several kids, gradually learning English.

We rent this house. The owner of the house is Vietnamese; his multi-generational family lived in this house for about 20 years until his father died. Some of his father's things are still in a back room upstairs. Whenever our Landlord comes over to do maintenance or collect rent or whatever, he always takes time to talk to some of the neighbors, whom he's known for years, if any of them is outside.

All the children play in the cul-de-sac, and they all get along -- as do their parents. In all the time we've lived here, we have never once heard one child yell a derisive ethnic slur at another, even though they may occasionally disagree about the rules of a game they're playing, as children will do.

When we go shopping, or out to a restaurant, those who serve us could be of almost any race, color, creed, national origin, whatever, regardless of where we go. In Dale City, we've been served Pho by an Ecuadorean waiter at a Vietnamese restaurant, and have been served chiles rellenos at a Mexican restaurant by a waitress from Thailand. Nothing unusual, just a normal day.

Right now, there are plenty of reasonably priced houses for sale in Dale City; and also houses, townhouses, and apartments for rent.

Check out Dale City. You might find something you like.

Oh yeah, there's another ethnically diverse guy born and raised in Hawaii who lives not far from here. His name is Barry, and his wife Michelle is from Chicago. They both tend to stay pretty busy. But if you call, one of them may have time to talk to you. Their phone number is 202-456-1414.

Just ask to speak to the President.

Best regards,
Dan

Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM

LOL is the President the wife?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
LOL is the President the wife?
I think they sort of share the power ... sorta like Bill and Hillary. They may disagree with each other from time to time, but if you attack either one, you'll have to fight them both.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM

Hahaha thanks Dan, I needed a laugh this morning

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Cool More on Diversity

Not sure if you got around to clicking on the Dale City VA link I posted a few days ago, but here's Dale City's "diversity" demographic breakdown by "race" (or "ethnicity") according to the 2010 Census:
  • 45.4% White
  • 28.6% Black
  • 7.6% Asian
  • 0.7% Native American or Native Alaskan
  • 0.2% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
  • 26.8% Hispanic (10.7% Salvadoran, 3.6% Mexican, 2.3% Puerto Rican, 1.4% Honduran, 1.3% Guatemalan, 1.2% Peruvian, 1.0% Bolivian)
I bolded the two entries that seem to be what you're primarily looking for in a community. Generally, the DC Metro Area has had a fairly high Hispanic population for years. When I was a kid in Arlington VA, I had friends in school from Guatemala, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Puerto Rico. And I also had a few friends from the Phillipines, who probably qualify as both Hispanic and Asian LOL. Didn't know many Cubans until after Castro's overthrow of Batista, when numerous Cuban families began coming here.

Had a close Cuban friend in high school whose father had worked for the Batista Administration. Pedro was president of our school's Chess Club, and I could usually beat him in Chess 2 out of 3 games. However, he was the only student in a school of 3500 whose College Board scores were higher than mine ... only by a couple of points, but it still pissed me off for weeks. LOL. But we're still good friends, 40 years later.

Before you plan to spend time actually visiting and looking around any community though, check its profile first. If diversity is of primary importance for you, you will want to avoid those cities and towns in Virginia (or any other State) that are: [a] rural and segregated towns (where prejudices tend to run high); [b] small towns in mountainous areas (where people tend to be clannish and insular, and suspicious of strangers that come from anywhere else); [c] places that are more than about 60% of any particular "race" (you already know about this factor); or [d] places inhabited primarily by one particular type of religious fundamentalist (such as Lynchburg, where many of the locals are very suspicious and judgmental toward anyone whose political or social viewpoints may differ from their own).

I couldn't help but notice several postings in this thread by people who seem to think "diversity" is some kind of a joke. It's never a "joke." So ignore their ignorance.

I learned about how strongly rednecks react to diversity when I was in college, living off campus in a first-floor apartment. I had a black friend, who came over one Saturday to help me fix my car. As the two of us were walking to his car to go get a part for my car, my redneck upstairs neighbor was coming in with groceries. When she saw me with another kid who was the "wrong" color, she wouldn't even say hello to me.

Although she and her husband had always been friendly to me before that incident (even asked me to babysit their kid quite frequently), she despised me in an instant because she saw me in the parking lot and realized that I was friendly with "some damned n*gg*r". I moved out of there in about a month, and never looked back.

Still need help finding the right place? Feel free to Direct Message me, and I'll try to help more if I can.

Dan

Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanks again Dan. I am still doing research. someone suggested I try Raleigh NC. From what I have read on this forum about N Virginia is its more like Washington and less like the south. I read it does not have that friendly southern laid back feel. I guess its probably more like NYC?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

513 posts, read 803,814 times
I dont get this thread. Nothern Va has more diversity then anywhere in the country. Hampton Roads in Black and White. Richmond is moslty white in the subhurbs and poor in the city.

DC/Northern Va has large pockets of Indians in Loudon County. Lots of Chinese in Fairfax.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM

867 posts, read 1,082,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
I dont get this thread. Nothern Va has more diversity then anywhere in the country. Hampton Roads in Black and White. Richmond is moslty white in the subhurbs and poor in the city.

DC/Northern Va has large pockets of Indians in Loudon County. Lots of Chinese in Fairfax.
Its simple if you read what he's asking. "What med-large city in VA." ..."normal cost of living"...."diverse". While I doubt Northern Va. has more diversity then ANYWHERE in the country...it is more different types of ethnic groups round there. It is NOT a med-large city though...it is a region and mainly a sprawled out suburb of DC. I imagine you know about the COL part.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM

306 posts, read 588,912 times
Richmond is very diverse and has a lower cost of living than Northern VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia