U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM

345 posts, read 579,172 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Hawaii and find ethnic diversity a good thing.

Would like to get suggestions for cities in VA that have a nice MIX of people (not segregated)
I have read a few post on this forum about northern Va, very interesting until I got to the parts were they mentioned how unfriendly people are near the DC boarder and how incredibly expensive it is to live there.

SO, what med - large cities in VA have a normal cost of living (compared to wages) and a good mix of folks.
Spanish/Asian preferred?

PS, the only reason I picked Virginia is the climate is so much better then other states I have on my radar like Austin, Arizona, Florida.

And yes, California is the better choice for weather and diversity, just don't know if i could live in that nutty place.

All suggestions are very welcome, I love doing research on places to live.
I'm hopping to move out of Oregon one day soon. (I don't fit in here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM

11,214 posts, read 19,608,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Would like to get suggestions for cities in VA that have a nice MIX of people (not segregated)....... SO, what med - large cities in VA have a normal cost of living (compared to wages) and a good mix of folks.
Spanish/Asian preferred?
I don't think you will find what you are looking for in Virginia. It's history is very different from Hawaii and Oregon.

I can suggest Roanoke for the lower cost of living. However, here's the racial mix:
White alone - 60,042 (61.9%)
Black alone - 27,256 (28.1%)
Hispanic - 5,345 (5.5%)
Two or more races - 2,280 (2.3%)
Asian alone - 1,676 (1.7%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Roanok...#ixzz2GXiqw0LD

Other than Roanoke, you might look at the Hampton Roads cities: Virginia Beach, etc. The cost of living is higher than Roanoke, but the Navy tends to bring in folks from all over the country. VB has a few more Asians:
White alone - 282,470 (64.5%)
Black alone - 83,210 (19.0%)
Hispanic - 28,987 (6.6%)
Asian alone - 26,312 (6.0%)
Two or more races - 14,201 (3.2%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Virgin...#ixzz2GXnDZr00

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-30-2012 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 AM

[quote=goldenage1;27545722]I don't think you will find what you are looking for in Virginia. It's history is very different from Hawaii and Oregon.

When you say its different, what is it that makes Virginia different? Most states are different from each other.

Also, I read there is a big difference between north and south Virginia, are you referring to both N and S?

Hawaii is VERY different than Oregon. The folks in Hawaii are very passionate people, you can pretty much tell in the first few mins of meeting someone if you will end up there friend or not.
Oregon, for me anyway, everyone is nice to you but 7 years of living there I was unable to make a single strong friendship with anyone. That might be due to my race or just being slightly different then them, who knows. I am Cuban, but grew up in Hawaii. I don't really look Hispanic for some reason, might be that awesome Hawaiian food.

Whats your thoughts on a city called Dale city? Doing research on that city next.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
When you say its different, what is it that makes Virginia different? Most states are different from each other.

Also, I read there is a big difference between north and south Virginia, are you referring to both N and S?

Whats your thoughts on a city called Dale city? Doing research on that city next.
I was referring to the history of Virginia which results in a majority of about 70% white and a large minority of about 20% black residents. Asians and Hispanics are in smaller numbers and they are newer residents. I believe Hawaii and to a lesser extent Oregon, gained an Asian population in the 19th century, so there are many 3rd and 4th generation Asians. I have been in Portland, and found it fairly diverse and very accepting. My relatives are active in their church, and I found their place in Hillsboro was very friendly. So it is hard for me to imagine not finding a good friend in 7 years in Portland.

Other people can do better commentaries on the differences between Northern and Southern Virginia, and I suggest doing some searches. Roanoke is still quite southern, while I do not think of Hampton Roads as southern at all. Dale City is just another sprawling suburb of Washington, DC, nothing special. I would not suggest Dale City if you are looking for lower cost and friendlier people.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Thanks again for your input, its very helpful. I did a roadtrip 2 years ago to NC SC GA TN and found NC folks to be friendly and open. I just didn't care for the city of Charlotte. But southern folk seem nicer.

I am now looking into Roanoke, now.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I did a roadtrip 2 years ago to NC SC GA TN and found NC folks to be friendly and open. I just didn't care for the city of Charlotte. But southern folk seem nicer.

I am now looking into Roanoke, now.
I was also thinking you might like Raleigh, NC. The job market in NC is not great unless you have specialized computer skills. However, there are a few Cuban-Americans in Durham and Raleigh, and a few decent Cuban restaurants.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM

thanks again for the info. will research Raleigh next. BTW, is there any difference in weather between NC and VA?
Also, do most folk consider west Virginia to be a completely different state or more of the same.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM

867 posts, read 1,079,310 times
Quote:
thanks again for the info. will research Raleigh next. BTW, is there any difference in weather between NC and VA?
Also, do most folk consider west Virginia to be a completely different state or more of the same.
West Virginia the state IS completely different from say Richmond and Hampton Roads. These are the urban areas where people are REALLY from Virginia. There is always an image a state/country tries to sell you and then theres the real thing. What you are looking for is really not Virgina per se but there are asians (Philipinos) in Va Beach probably because of the Navy...we all know Philipinos and Hispanics have no history around here so...Youre probably looking for San Francisco or Alberquerqe. Virginias history is black and white...literally (and Powhatan).

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM

7,160 posts, read 2,334,425 times
Northern VA is quite large with many different areas to choose from. Yes, the cost of living is higher but the salaries are also higher. So it generally works out just fine. I am now living in Tennessee and I truly miss the diversity of Northern VA. There's also a great young professional scene in the DC metropolitan area that is unbeatable.

As for Dale City/Woodbridge, I lived there for years and would move back in a heartbeat if it were feasible. It's a suburb of DC that is a bit further out from the city. It's nice...diverse and more affordable than many other suburban areas. The only issue is that the commute into DC is tougher but doable. You just have to be flexible - slug line, communter bus, VRE (train) etc.

Dale City and the whole of Prince William County are actually now "majority-minority" areas. In Dale City, Hispanics are about 27% and Asians are about 8%. Add in people of African descent (to include Africans, Caribbean and African-Americans) and a few other groups and that is the majority-minority population.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-30-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
BTW, is there any difference in weather between NC and VA?
The weather in NC is slightly warmer, both summer and winter. The states are both very humid in the summer. The Roanoke area will usually get snow in the winter, while snow happens in Raleigh about every other year.

West Virginia has a different culture from Virginia. Think about coal miners and people living in isolated hollows. WV is very industrial and grimy-- I would not recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia