U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM

203 posts, read 339,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
I am moving my family of four (two young boys 5 and 8) from Wisconsin to Virginia. I will be required to travel a bit so I want to stay within 45 minutes of the Richmond airport. I am starting a branch of my current company in this location so location for work will be in-house. I would be looking for a location with great schools, little to no racial tension, other young families, parks, etc. We don't want to be in a super busy location but don't want to be out in the country either. Close proximity to lakes that support boating, swimming, etc. is a plus.

Any thoughts... Thanks!
I am a native Virginian, and have been all over most of this Commonwealth. Since the Richmond Airport is just inside the East side of the Richmond Beltway, I checked VA locations that might be convenient to the airport, and that should also meet your needs in the other ways you stated.

Williamsburg is just about exactly 45 minutes from the airport, driving straight down I-64. Parks and historical stuff and much to do for adults and the kids, all over that area. Sits in the "middle peninsula" between the James and York Rivers.

Get on a Google map and take a look at it. In addition to Williamsburg, there are a multitude of other places you might want to consider between Williamsburg and Richmond. Most communities in that area have great schools, and Virginia was the first state in the South to have an integrated public school system (I was in the 8th grade when it happened), and there has been little to no "racial tension" in Virginia for decades, except perhaps in some of the rural backwoods towns on the western side of the State. But most of us tend to just ignore the backwoods hillbillies. Never see them East of the mountains much anyway. LOL

For boating, swimming, etc., anyplace in that area will put you near the Chesapeake Bay, America's largest inland waterway, and lakes and recreational waterways are everywhere. Just do a little research, pick an area you think you might like, and make a few phone calls. See a city or town that looks promising? Check the details on City-Data. You can also look it up in Wikipedia or "Best Places" (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed) ... and then check the city's website, and give them a call if you like what you see and want to find out more. Virginia is a friendly place.

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM

203 posts, read 339,672 times
Either of the cities of Chester and Chesterfield would also be very convenient for you, and both are within 25 minutes of the Richmond Airport. Either of them might also be good for your family. Just check them out and choose what you like.

Dan

Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM

30 posts, read 40,099 times
How is the housing market currently in those areas? Are home owners getting what they are asking for or is it still a buyers market?

Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,115,409 times
I like Chester, Chesterfield, Glen Allen...really like going down there from Spotsylvania when I need to get stuff done that is unfortunately not available in there Fredericksburg area yet. Nice and clean, solid beautiful suburban feel.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM

46 posts, read 120,798 times
Well Richmond is a great choice, beyond being the capital of the state, I really like the place personally. You can consider the place Corporate Housing Norfolk Virginia / Extended Stay Norfolk Virginia ... Well, Richmond history that still lives in the magnificent architecture of downtown buildings to the cobblestone streets down Monument Avenue. From there, it would take you to the wonderful beaches of Norfolk and Virginia beach - which you like. Richmond isn't very crunchy, but there are a lot of alternatives as far as fresh food, csa's, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or