Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,814 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
I know there are lots of other topics with that problem, but I really need help. I got caught driving 100 in a 65 mph zone. I know that this is wrong and I feel terrible and that I should have thought about that before I went that fast.
But it was a brand new rental car, and I really didn't see that I was going so fast. I know this is not an excuse!!
It happened in Prince William County and I would just like to hear some advice from you, what to do or not or if you know a got lawyer, which I definetely need, I know that.
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
You most certainly need an attorney on this one. Use who you want but this attorney just helped another C-D member. Very good and works well with the prosecutors.

Newcomb, E Allen Attorney At Law
9100 Church Street # 105
Manassas, VA 20110-5488

Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
refreshing to see a reckless driving charge that is actually reckless. usually those court rooms are packed with ppl who had gone 80-84 in a 70

but yea i agree just get a lawyer. if your record is relatively clean you can probably get it reduced

Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,116 times
Oy! Yeah I did 81 and got reckless. I lawyered up because of my job, and my driving record, while not horrible, isn't clean. I probably wouldn't have gotten one otherwise.

I would definitely hire someone. Were you arrested? Remember lawyers in PWC aren't cheap. I hired one in NY for a traffic violation and it was less than half the cost.

I hear you on driving new car and not realizing how fast you're going. Its not an excuse, and the judge will probably laugh at you, but it happens. Expensive lesson learned...

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM

No. I wasn't arrested.
Thank you for all the answers. Does that lawyer have any website or Email address? Because I couldn't find any.
The other thing is I am not even an american citizen. Do you know anything about that, how they handle that?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava865 View Post
No. I wasn't arrested.
Thank you for all the answers. Does that lawyer have any website or Email address? Because I couldn't find any.
The other thing is I am not even an american citizen. Do you know anything about that, how they handle that?
703-368-2660

Makes no difference where you are from.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Anything over 80mph in Virginia is considered "reckless" driving! Just so you know for future reference!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Anything over 80mph in Virginia is considered "reckless" driving! Just so you know for future reference!

For the fiftieth time this is not automatic. This is at the discretion of the officer.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM

So I talked to a lawyer today and he seemed pretty confident that we might reduce the charge.. Don't know about that, but we'll see....
Does anybody know whether they can take my international driver's license away? Cause I don't have an american one?
And my lawyer said that I would be only suspended in Virginia, not in New York, because the DMV won't report that. Is that true? I read on other websites, that I won't be able to drive in NY, either.
Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM

203 posts, read 412,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava865 View Post
Hi ,
I know there are lots of other topics with that problem, but I really need help. I got caught driving 100 in a 65 mph zone. I know that this is wrong and I feel terrible and that I should have thought about that before I went that fast.
But it was a brand new rental car, and I really didn't see that I was going so fast. I know this is not an excuse!!
It happened in Prince William County and I would just like to hear some advice from you, what to do or not or if you know a got lawyer, which I definetely need, I know that.
Thank you so much!
Under Virginia Law, 20 miles an hour over the speed limit is automatically considered "Reckless Driving". There is no allowance for any discretion on the part of the police. You did the right thing getting a lawyer.

You might be able to make a pre-trial agreement with the Commonwealth's Attorney to get the reckless driving charge reduced if you agree to go to Traffic School. The traffic school course costs about $75.00, but it is well worth it to get rid of the charge and the negative points on your record. Be sure to mention this approach to your lawyer.

Here's the Virginia Code with respect to excess speed: LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-862

Here's the "general rule" on reckless driving: LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-852

And here's what happens if they convict you: LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-868

Want to know more? Here's a link to the entire Code of Virginia: https://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm

... happy reading, and Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia