Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM

30 posts, read 45,825 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family of four (two young boys 5 and 8) from Wisconsin to Virginia. I will be required to travel a bit so I want to stay within 45 minutes of the Richmond airport. I am starting a branch of my current company in this location so location for work will be in-house. I would be looking for a location with great schools, little to no racial tension, other young families, parks, etc. We don't want to be in a super busy location but don't want to be out in the country either. Close proximity to lakes that support boating, swimming, etc. is a plus.

Any thoughts... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
I like Glen Allen, VA. I grew up in Bristol, VA in the southwestern part of the state so RVA is quite a bit different but Glen Allen is nice. It has a typicaly suburban feel to it...good schools, parks, etc. I don't think that you'll enounter racial issues but the demographics will be different than what you're probably used to in Wisconsin which isn't a bad thing IMO. Richmond will feel different to you though...it may not sound like it but RVA is still (imo) a pretty southern city which may be a little bit of a culture shock from the great white north!

All in all....Look into Glen Allen or around the Short Pump area. They are nice, clean, and have low crime rates.....good areas imo.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for an all white community with white picket fences. I am currently from Milwaukee, and am used to many different races, cultures, religions and mixing of neighborhoods. I just don't want to be stuck on the wrong side of the river (if you know what I mean). I am starting my search and will need as much feedback from locals or past locals that are in similar family situations. I will definitely look into Glen Allen and see what it has to offer. Any additional feedback or suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks wnewberry22!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
I am moving my family of four (two young boys 5 and 8) from Wisconsin to Virginia. I will be required to travel a bit so I want to stay within 45 minutes of the Richmond airport. I am starting a branch of my current company in this location so location for work will be in-house. I would be looking for a location with great schools, little to no racial tension, other young families, parks, etc. We don't want to be in a super busy location but don't want to be out in the country either. Close proximity to lakes that support boating, swimming, etc. is a plus.

Any thoughts... Thanks!
Short Pump, Deep Run, Glen Allen, Chesterfield, Midlothian all meet most of these criteria.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Thanks, I will put them on my list. One other item. Are any of the locations listed above super high price. I have lived in overly high affluent areas previously and never really like the snobs that tend to congregate there. I would be looking at a median level location... nice houses, yards, good neighborhoods.

Thanks,

Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Short Pump, Deep Run, Glen Allen, Chesterfield, Midlothian all meet most of these criteria.
Ditto that. Midlothian is nice too.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
definite super high price....I visited the area last fall and really liked Glen Allen. It is growing fast, has all the shopping (between there and Short Pump) you could ever want. I'd say it's upper middle class, but Short Pump seemed somewhat more expensive than Glen Allen. You can be in Glen Allen and then a 5 minute ride you are in a real rural area. I thought there was a pretty wide variety of houses...range from expensive to your typical mid-class homes. Midlothian is suppose to be a little less expensive, with less traffic, but basically a very good suburb too. The best thing about the whole area was, IMO, the people are really super nice and helpful. The thing that surprised me the most was how much traffic there was.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM

I would most probably be looking to be in that "middle to upper-middle" class of homes and neighborhood. Speaking of which, what is the median home going for in those areas? I have looked online and get a broad range from low 100's to upper 300's. I think getting people's perspective from those areas is more informative. I would be looking for a 3 bedroom home. I am not sure how many homes have basements in VA but I would prefer that as well.

Thanks for all the information!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
midlothian fits the bill but it is south of richmond. i grew up in mechanicsville (23116 zip) which seems to fit, though your budget is really wide. there aren't many basements around here unless its just a lower level on a hill. most of the areas you're looking for are going to be predominantely white (80%+), though there is a decently-sized indian population in the short pump area.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Those numbers listed above were ranges I found on-line. I would be in the middle around 200k or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia