U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
LDH LDH started this thread

168 posts, read 522,085 times

Advertisements

DH and I are considering a move to VA when he retires from the military. I know there are many military installations and would like to live close to one so we can work there but also want to be able to buy a house. We love the Williamsburg area when we were there and are thinking we would like to buy there. I know Ft Eustis isn't too far but what other military installations are around within a 40 mile radius? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM

20 posts, read 64,700 times
The Williamsburg area is fairly expensive due to the number of retirees that have flocked to that area. Ft. Lee is doing a major expansion as a part of base realignment. There are some very affordable communities within a quick commute to the base. In addition, you would have easy access to McGuire Veterans Hospital (hopefully you won't need it). Richmond has a greater variety of cultural, retail, and housing choices than the Williamsburg area. Serviced by Richmond International, Amtrak.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Pogo, thanks for the info. I couldn't quite remember how far Richmond was in relation to Williamsburg but thought it was fairly close. Are there any good communities you can recommend within the area?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,435,250 times
While I will agree that homes are less expensive near Ft Lee if you can afford Williamsburg it is a great place to live retired or not. There is a VA hospital nearby in Hampton. Other military installations nearby include Cheatham Annex, Yorktown Naval Weapons Station. Camp Perry ( The Farm) Fort Monroe ( slated to shutdown)

Old 10-27-2007, 06:18 PM

23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
While I will agree that homes are less expensive near Ft Lee if you can afford Williamsburg it is a great place to live retired or not. There is a VA hospital nearby in Hampton. Other military installations nearby include Cheatham Annex, Yorktown Naval Weapons Station. Camp Perry ( The Farm) Fort Monroe ( slated to shutdown)
don't forget, my home base, Langley AFB in Hampton.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 AM

738 posts, read 3,566,594 times
A.P. Hill is near I-95, between Fredericksburg and Richmond, but houses out there aren't very expencive. Close to the base are two small towns. Bowling Green (the county seat), and Port Royal, a nice little river town. Both are small historic communities which haven't been hit by the major growth happening to the north and south of there.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,566,601 times
I would definitely recommend the Ft. Lee area, as I am sure you are looking for the major conveniences such as the commissary and the clinic. We will be heading that way ourselves as soon as we can sell our home. Depending on what you are looking for in the way of community ammenities, you could check out Dinwiddie and Nottoway counties to really maximize your dollar. We have young children, so even though my husband is a retiree, we want the good schools Chesterfield provides. Hope it helps and good luck with the move, and best advice I can give, make sure you get a Tricare supplement - if so you will probably have little to no out-of-pocket costs!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Thanks for all of the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or