U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,587,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I hate the "new" Pottery....The old one was so charming until the Chinese junk took it over! So Sad!
Totally agree, as I visited last summer and really thought it wasn't much different than many outlets. As a visitor with kids, it is not where I would go. If I lived in the area or visited on occasion, as I do for conferences, etc. then I'll go there. The kids are still young but it never hurts to walk over from the historical area and walk around the old part of the College of William and Mary grounds, the Wren building, the sunken gardens. Maybe inspire them and start the college visits early!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM

10,377 posts, read 8,374,270 times
You can walk through the historic area and enter the taverns and shops free of charge, and do not need tickets to dine at the taverns - but if you want to enter most of the historic buildings, you will need passes. Evening programs require tickets but not passes. There are many great hands-on activities specifically for children, along with other good activities for all family members. The website for Colonial Williamsburg is loaded with information and is great for planning.

There are many, many privately owned motels in Williamsburg which are not affiliated with chains or with Colonial Williamsburg, and whose prices are considerably lower. Many were build back in the 1950s, but are well-maintained, with updated large rooms, pools, and convenient locations. Some include breakfast, most have refrigerators and microwaves if you want to dine in your room.

A motel pool will be very welcome during the summer, when Williamsburg can be very hot and humid. Plan your days' activities accordingly - go for the early morning garden tours or similar activities, visit the air-conditioned museums at midday and early afternoon, hit the pool later, then return for evening programs when the air is cooler.

Your children would probably enjoy the free car ferry ride from Jamestown across the James River to Scotland and back (no, not that Scotland). It takes about twenty minutes, and you can leave your car and watch the seabirds, boats, and scenery on this broad tidal river. The dock is next to the replicas of the three tiny ships on which the first Jamestown settlers sailed across the Atlantic, and there is also a good view of the statue of Pocahontas as you approach the Jamestown dock.

Your children might enjoy reading the American Girl books about "Felicity", a nine-year-old girl living in Williamsburg in 1775. There is also a movie, which I think is on YouTube. My young relatives enjoyed both considerably, and they are a good way to create interest ahead of time.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM

925 posts, read 2,133,493 times
My advice-DO NOT GO IN SUMMER!. It is hot, humid and enervating. Nobody will be happy after 2 hours.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:14 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,620,968 times
It was hot when we went there....but sometimes ya gotta do the summer thing. The afternoon break would be a great idea.

Saw quite a few kids who got the period costumes to wear - and that would be great fun...for awhile, but could get tedious in the heat, so another good reason to spend some early time and then get a little relaxing after lunch, and then go back late afternoon.

Much is very interactive, and you don't have to stay forever - like an outdoor speech by a historic character....you can stay as long as you wish, and then move along to see something else.

The various characters bring you into the action, so that you feel like you are a part of history unfolding...very nicely done.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM

414 posts, read 680,033 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone, and keep em coming! I already have accomodations through a family timeshare so all covered on that end. Have no choice but to go in the summer, with kids in school and wife being a teacher. When we did Hersheypark last summer it was the hottest day of the summer, and we survived. Heat doesn't seem to bother anyone in the family but me, so I will be the one suffering. It is what it is.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Just be sure to hydrate! There are several period-correct non-alcoholic beverages available which will help you cool off. Walk slowly, wear loose, light-colored cotton clothing, and seek out shade. Duke of Gloucester Street (Col. Wmsbg.'s main drag) is lined with ancient mulberries for much of its mile, so make the most of them.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Oh hey another question, good places to eat with kids? Not sure I can put a link, but there is a restaurant gift certificate website, which I have used locally, that has $25 GC for $4, valid until tomorrow. Fiugure may as well purchase some to use when down there. Places that look appealing to me from the list are:

Kyoto Japanese Steak and Seafood House (we love hibachi)

Taco Mexicali

Candle Light Kitchen (this place looks very basic, could be OK)

Al Fresco Ristorante

The Melting Pot of Newport News

Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM

Newport News is some distance, so unless The Melting Pot has a Williamsburg location, I'd mark that one off.

The colonial taverns are great and offer simple lunch fare - some have garden dining, with shady canopies overhead. At the other end of DOG street, just outside the colonial area, are a number of restaurants which range from family-friendly to rather elegant.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Newport News is some distance, so unless The Melting Pot has a Williamsburg location, I'd mark that one off.

The colonial taverns are great and offer simple lunch fare - some have garden dining, with shady canopies overhead. At the other end of DOG street, just outside the colonial area, are a number of restaurants which range from family-friendly to rather elegant.

Good to know! I took a chance and bought gift certs for 3 places. If I go to them, and they look terrible, I can always exchange them for a local place that I like. I figured it couldnt hurt to try, and keep the spending down a bit while on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia