U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,896 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My fiancee and I are currently living in north Jersey (bergen county) and we want out. It's far too expensive and crowded here. We are taking a week long trip down to VA and NC and are stopping by several cities. We wanted to see if anyone familiar with these cities can recommend any neighborhoods we should check out.

We are an engaged couple in our 20s with no kids and we would like a place that has the convenience of living in a city without living in a big city. So some kind of suburb or on the outskirts of a city where entertainment, shopping, etc would be a quick drive away. For example, we used to live in Arlington, TX and found that to be a great mix where it wasn't overly crowded or with too much traffic, but we had tons of shopping and entertainment around as well as easy access to major highways. We also had Fort Worth and Dallas 30 minutes away if we did want to go to the city for a day. My fiancee works for Walgreens and she would be transferring so it is a must that there be at least several Walgreens in vicinity. Also, very important is the cost of living. Right now, anything will be better than Bergen County, NJ... but having lived in TX with no state income tax, we got a bit spoiled, so a place with a cost of living near or below the national average would be optimal. As for me, I will likely be going back to school so most of the cities we are visiting have schools with the programs I'm interested in.

Here are the cities we will be stopping by; any advice as to which neighborhoods to check out would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

- Richmond, VA
- Charlottesville, VA
- Roanoke, VA
- Blacksburg, VA
- Greensboro, NC
- Winston Salem, NC
- Raleigh, NC
- Norfolk, VA
- VA Beach, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,083,277 times
In Richmond, check out carytown in the city, and short pump outside of it

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
For Norfolk or Virginia Beach, I'd check out Chesapeake, VA which is close to both. I'd also suggest Old Towne Portsmouth.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,106,232 times
Blacksburg is home to Virginia Tech which has a huge student body (31,000 full time) and I would guess that housing costs might be bit cheaper in nearby Christiansburg. I know that there is a Walgreens in C-burg.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,615,206 times
Roanoke is WONDERFUL because it is large enough to have a lot of amenities - but surrounded by mountains - so it has less tendency to sprawl - so almost any neighborhood is extremely convenient to the city center - so a great choice between suburban style neighborhoods and more hip close-to-the-city-center neighborhoods (Old Southwest, Raleigh Court). Check it out!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 PM

174 posts, read 458,650 times
I second Roanoke because I really love it here. Take a good look at Raleigh too. I went to a few events there last summer and I thought it looked like they had a lot of stuff going on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or