U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 5,024 times

Advertisements

AA single mom of two children (13yo girl and 1 on way)...looking to relocate to Florida or VA area from Boston, Ma (born and raised). I don't want to go into my history but I am in the medical and educational fields (4 degrees and Licensed LMFT/LMHC/CADAC and licensed teacher) and plan on re-applying to medical school next year (so I am really not worried about employment (I am looking to start my own practice in a couple of years) because help is always needed in the medical and education areas. What is mainly important to me is a good church famnily, schools, safety, diversity, and things/activities/places for families or single moms. Boston has some of the best school systems up here. My daughter will be going to high school next year and honor roll student. I was either thinking either VA or Fl...I really don't have family...my mom died 3 days after my daughters 6th birthday on Easter, and my dad is in Chiacago but battleling stage 4 Cancer (which isnt looking good at all). My only oldest sister who is a nurse lives in Richmond, VA would love for me to move there but I feel I will be stuck...not much for single moms and families to do things (but go to DC area or VA Beach...and I think after while I will get bored)...My older brother who is a fireman here in Boston don't want to leave b/c he feels he wont get paid what he gets here...so I am on my own...I have always been motivated and independent. I travel at least 3-5 times a year.. Me and my baby girl. But now I will have another addition, so I would like to still have that opportunity to go places with my babies. I feel as if I move to Florida I wont get bored because no matter I always have other little cities to visit on weekends, the weather is great (so tired with this snow!!!)...lol, housing is affordable...but what worries me is the safety (crime) and schools...whats the best and worst cities. With VA, I know where I would move to...and know the schools but the weather...not feeling it at ALL, just feel i might get bored. I would like a change...can anyone give some input...I am not looking to be lectured about raising my kids as single parent...not looking for husband...just looking for input...I've seen how some people are so cruel when others are just asking for help....I am a sensitive person...smile...be blessed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,737,252 times
What do you currently do to not be bored? This would probably help people direct you to specific areas that meet the criteria you're looking for

Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,599,552 times
You might also post this under the Richmond sub forum and see what suggestions from the locals about what to do not to be bored. Granted, I don't know Richmond but have a hard time thinking you have to go to DC or Va Beach not to be bored. Also, check into schools in both Virginia and Florida. Overall, i tend to hear a much better reputation for Virginia education system than the Florida one. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM

892 posts, read 1,930,968 times
For VA, I honestly think you should give Richmond a thought. It's not as big as DC, especially as far as entertainment goes, but there are things there to do. It's not that bad. Especially since your sister is there and VCU is there with a medical school. Also the counties around Richmond seem to have very good schools. I would mention the Hampton Roads area because of the beaches, but that metro feels more isolated to me. Good luck! Oh and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a single mom. That's tremendous work and is to be commended!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 AM

10,465 posts, read 5,935,374 times
First off welcome to the board Frozensmoke. There are a lot of nice people here who are always ready to help, don't see a lot of "cruel" behavior here. We hope you come back and become a regular, message boards are wonderful tools and there are a lot of different places to go on this board alone.

As others have said it would be helpful to know what you like to do so you are not not bored. We do a lot of shorter trips too and I can tell you this area is full of great places to go. Anytime you have a beach and a mountain range within a few hours, not to mention cities small, medium and large to visit, you have a lot of options.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,219 times
Hello ,
I fond this site and just joined . I like to traveling like Boats , Flights ,Kite surfing and Fly fishing . All the places are so beautifully and wondering . I know it there are lots of nice places .

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 AM

6,587 posts, read 10,900,305 times
OP. I am from Fla but have lived in VA for many years now. I would never move back to FLA but I do go back often since I have family there. I much prefer VA for many reasons but the 4 seasons is a big one and I love being near the mountains. I believe for your background you might like Richmond or Charlottesville. I like both but probably like Charlottesville a little more.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 5,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
OP. I am from Fla but have lived in VA for many years now. I would never move back to FLA but I do go back often since I have family there. I much prefer VA for many reasons but the 4 seasons is a big one and I love being near the mountains. I believe for your background you might like Richmond or Charlottesville. I like both but probably like Charlottesville a little more.
GM...Thanks for responding...yeah i have been thinking alot....the reason why i was so in a rush to move was bc my daughter will be starting 8th gr this year n hs next yr..i didnt want to have to switch hs in the middle of the school yr...but i have to do whats best for me....my sister is a rn in richmond (chesterfield)n i visit Va on a regular basis...even though im there for a weekend to 5 days the most...i find myself getting bored quick...u see in Boston theres so much to do...i feel Va is limited. however i did find that the best choice for me about to have a newborn n teen would be to move to a state where i have direct family at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia