Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Virginia in need of showcase, archaic laws, lack of annexation, showcase city Washington, D.C., revitalization period, visionary leadership, civic pride, regionalism, consolidation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM
CNI CNI started this thread

194 posts, read 578,630 times

Advertisements

D.C. is not part of VA or MD. It is its own independent jurisdiction. We can't claim D.C. as part of VA so it cannot be a VA city...showcase or otherwise.
In relying on D.C. as our main attraction we become 2ndary to the main attraction.
If my children wanted to attend a fine D.C. university would they be granted resident tuition rates? No.
Do I have a vote on matters in D.C. that might impact my reliance on it? No.
When a person from a different thread inquired about stopping in Richmond for a day while on a trip to Georgia what did most people advise her to do...stop in D.C. instead. That's what's called being overshadowed or secondary. Money lost. Chance to have an favorabale impression on children who might 1 day want to live in VA and contribute to its progress lost.
I don't know the % but the majority of VA is very undeveloped. Of what's not undeveloped a % of that is suburban. Small amount of this state are "over developed" (as some people describe progress).
Again, if you do not provide the opportunities for future generations then they may have no choice but to flee this state. Opportunities and progress go hand-in-hand.
Always pointing back to what VA WAS leaves more opportunity for forward thinking states to blow by us NOW & attract the residence we should be competing to attract.
As part of this whole "showcase city" issue I am proposing that urban areas of the state...NOVA, Hampton Roads, Richmond...be let loose to advance. Other presently rural and undeveloped areas can proceed on a path of slow-growth and backward-gazing to the past. Let portions of this state reach their fullest potential. The old guard needs to step out of the way because otherwise forward thinking, opportunity seeking people (without strong ties to the state) may choose to move elsewhere.
In raising hands for stagnation please explain what that provides for future generations. Trees? Vast fields of nothingness? Those don't provide people with education & allow people to earn good wages. No historic battlefield or Confederate attraction has ever yielded the benefits that modern corporate investment (that is, development) provide.
(For more controversy) We could be 1 of the few places in the world with a Disney theme park right now. If not for the stagnants chasing off the development. Maybe that's good for a separate thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Poor land use decisions (i.e. never ending sprawl churning up beautiful countryside only to replace it with "anywhere USA") don't equate to progress or a progressive attitude IMO.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Richmondpics, I agree that sprawl is not desired. I appreciate that some admire the coutryside, trees, undeveloped land, etc. All I'm saying is that there should be better balance in VA between those people and those of us who want development. Can't there be designated growth corridors along with designated conservation corridors? Again, if someone can explain to me how undeveloped countryside is going to provide me & future generations employment opportunities (until that land is developed) then I'm all ears. Otherwise I feel we have to progress (even if it is at the expense of countryside). That land up in NOVA could be generating revenue via Disney rather than being another nondescript patch of trees along the roadside from which only a select few can benefit.
As best I know nothing useful has been doen with that tract. We could have had tourists from around the world. Instead we lost the Disney opportunity & Legoland. What a waste!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
If adding Disney and freaking Legoland meant the destruction of the first battlefield of the Civil War then I personally say good riddance..... Having lived down in Orlando for 12 years I can honestly say you don't want what comes with that. Drive down the strip in Myrtle Beach one time and you'll get an inkling of an idea of what comes with turning an area into a theme park tourist trap.

Not to mention compounding the already existing traffic issues in the area.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM

No, VAFury. YOU DON'T WANT what comes w/ development. I respect your rural, preservationist, nondevelopment bent. However, I DO WANT development because it provides jobs for me, you, preservationsist, and all of our children. But the problem is that there is a desire to silence people in VA who want development. Therefore we get chased to the few slightly urban options we have in-state (where our desire for development is not met because people such as yourself refuse to allow a balance of development and preservation within the state) or to other states (e.g., patsfan20). I was forced out of the state due to the lack of sound reasoning that allowed Richmond to be the largest area in the country w/o a college or university at which I could pursue my major of choice (this amongst other things). Fortunately that embarrasing problem has been corrected here in Richmond. Similar reasoning was used at that time for why Richmond should not provide a certain school at its colleges and universities. They said, we don't need it...they can just go to UVA or VATech or Old Dominion. I think now...looking back...it was 1 of the best developments of the 90's for VCU to provide this major. The benefits have been tremendous. VA would see similar benefits by diversifying its offerings and ofering a showcase city of urbanization, development, growth, progress.
Just as VA touts its diversity of geographic offerings (mountains, piedmonts, beaches, lakes, etc.) VA would be well served by a "showcase city" adding another option for residents & others considering relocating to the state. Just as with investments...strength in diversification.
Since both development opportunities were KILLED (not lost) the undeveloped land in NOVA where Disney & the land where Lego both proposed development have, as best I know, not provided anywhere near the level of return (in terms of jobs, corporate investment, tourism, national & international awareness, etc.) that those 2 companies would have provided.
Also, how telling that "CdShiflett" acknowledged himself that he had to flee VA when he was younger (&, I assume, more career oriented, motivated on progress, etc.) Now the he has obtained that progress OUTSIDE OF VA he seems to be saying that its OK to come back to VA & deny others the progress and advancement they need. All for the sake of his own personal comfort. Am I interpfreting your comments incorrectly?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Va. will never have a "showcase city" because of the arcaic law of non-annexation here. What you have now, is what you'll have ten years from now. Now Charlotte on the other hand, has been and will continue to be NC's showcase city. That city is progressive and will keep growing and gobbling up the surrounding counties through annexation(which can suck for some home owners in those counties), but is still cheaper than RIC. One of the many reasons I am moving back there after living in Richmond for almost 2 years, is lower cost of living with a higher quality of life. You just can't compare the two cities, they are going opposite directions. If you have been to downtown Richmond, you know what direction that city is going. It may hit China soon! Va. is Va., and always will be that way. The good 'ol boys that run this place would have it no other way. One can always move.........like me.
Much truth in your post. We lived in Northern Virginia (NOVA) 30+ years, wife over 50 years, and in the end it all came down to the good old yahoo's in Richmond who think it's still the 1930's or something. Many decent things about NOVA, but the roads and the anti-tax whiners who cut off their noses to spite their face have made that state a bit of a joke. Then there is the widespread racism that smolders below the surface there. IMO, NOVA should secede from the state and set up a new state of their own and let the old tirds in Richmond rot in their tobacco fields.

We did exactly what you recommend, we moved as soon as we got our pensions from the government. Now we're in Colorado Springs, where things are a whole lot better, housing is half the price of Fairfax, and there is little traffic to fight.

If the 'commonwealth' ever gets a showcase city, it will happen by accident.

s/Mike

Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
No, VAFury. YOU DON'T WANT what comes w/ development. I respect your rural, preservationist, nondevelopment bent. However, I DO WANT development because it provides jobs for me, you, preservationsist, and all of our children. But the problem is that there is a desire to silence people in VA who want development.
LOL!!! Yeah, that's right. HUSH UP you that wish to put YET ANOTHER cookie-cutter housing development up. Like it hasn't already gotten rediculously out of control in NoVA.. There is a price to be paid for development friend and it's a price that many do not wish to pay. With urbanization comes a VAST amount of new problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI
Therefore we get chased to the few slightly urban options we have in-state (where our desire for development is not met because people such as yourself refuse to allow a balance of development and preservation within the state) or to other states (e.g., patsfan20).
Depends on who you are I guess. Having lived where development is REDICULOUSLY out of control, I'd say the balance between development and preservation is near perfect. If you're in Virginia to live an urban life, you may just be in the wrong state. So what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI
I was forced out of the state due to the lack of sound reasoning that allowed Richmond to be the largest area in the country w/o a college or university at which I could pursue my major of choice (this amongst other things). Fortunately that embarrasing problem has been corrected here in Richmond. Similar reasoning was used at that time for why Richmond should not provide a certain school at its colleges and universities. They said, we don't need it...they can just go to UVA or VATech or Old Dominion. I think now...looking back...it was 1 of the best developments of the 90's for VCU to provide this major. The benefits have been tremendous.
Funny you make wild claims and boasts yet don't provide ONE specific. Am I to take your word that this "mystery major" now being offered at VCU is the greatest thing since sliced bread??? You dont' even offer a chance to refute the claim because of how vague your statement is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI
VA would see similar benefits by diversifying its offerings and ofering a showcase city of urbanization, development, growth, progress.
Just as VA touts its diversity of geographic offerings (mountains, piedmonts, beaches, lakes, etc.) VA would be well served by a "showcase city" adding another option for residents & others considering relocating to the state. Just as with investments...strength in diversification.
How much more "urban" do we need??? I'm all ears, what would you like Richmond to do??? Build a new Chrysler plant in Chesterfield??? Perhaps Intel could put a chip plant in Short Pump... Let's really F*** up the countryside!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI
Since both development opportunities were KILLED (not lost) the undeveloped land in NOVA where Disney & the land where Lego both proposed development have, as best I know, not provided anywhere near the level of return (in terms of jobs, corporate investment, tourism, national & international awareness, etc.) that those 2 companies would have provided.
What a shame... No Wally World in Manassas. DARN!!! You know what we really need is a Rollercoaster on the Skyline Drive. Maybe a waterpark in Arlington Cemetery??? Oooo, oooo, a video arcade inside Appomatox Courthouse!!! YES!!! That would bring more DOLLARS than any poo-poo preservationist bullcrap!!! YES to strip malls!!! YES to big industry!!! YES to mowing down nature and history and making way for the 22nd century!!!

Maybe they should mow down a bunch of trees through scenic areas of northwest Virginia and put up some mega-voltage high tension power lines so we can get more power from Ohio into NoVA!!! (oh wait, they're already doing that... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI
Also, how telling that "CdShiflett" acknowledged himself that he had to flee VA when he was younger (&, I assume, more career oriented, motivated on progress, etc.) Now the he has obtained that progress OUTSIDE OF VA he seems to be saying that its OK to come back to VA & deny others the progress and advancement they need. All for the sake of his own personal comfort. Am I interpfreting your comments incorrectly?
To me it's telling that you're somehow upset that you needed to leave to pursue whatever it was you left to pursue.... Sounds like you'd be more than happy to leave it all behind..

Why the attatchment??? What draws you to the area??? What makes you want to stay when economically the "Good ole boys" make it so hard for you???

Doesn't make sense...... You like how North Carolina does it then more power to ya..... Enjoy North Carolina!!!

Old 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM

And not to speak for CDShifflet but I know I, for one, moved back for a more laid back, rural lifestyle... Hard to believe but many people actually desire that...

Seriously though. What is it about the law that holds Richmond back??? I don't necessarily take too much of an issue with Richmond growing. I was under the impression that it had..

Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks Virginia is in desperate need of a "showcase city" (I'm coining that term)? If I'm not the only person then what metro area is the best candidate for this "showcase city"?
I don't think I should have to explain what I mean by "showcase city" - the term is pretty self-explanatory. Massachusetts has Boston. Maryland has Baltimore. Charlotte is trying to be N.C.'s showcase city. Atlanta is Georgia's. Indianapolis is that for Indiana. Las Vegas for Nevada. So on & so forth. Not Virginia. We don't have one all-out city that strives to address the needs of those Virginians who want pure city life. A place that embraces development, growth, population, more jobs the better, etc. A place that wants to (and is capable of) competing with other major U.S. and world cities. A city that could allow us to have pro sports. Am I the only person in Virginia who feels this way? If not, then where should this "showcase city" be located? Fairfax? Hampton Roads? Richmond? Some other place?
Totally agree (i've lived here all my life with the exception of the military). I would say Fairfax County is Va's baby, no doubt. It is one of the richest counties in the USA.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
Quote:
Richmondpics, I agree that sprawl is not desired. I appreciate that some admire the coutryside, trees, undeveloped land, etc. All I'm saying is that there should be better balance in VA between those people and those of us who want development. Can't there be designated growth corridors along with designated conservation corridors? Again, if someone can explain to me how undeveloped countryside is going to provide me & future generations employment opportunities (until that land is developed) then I'm all ears. Otherwise I feel we have to progress (even if it is at the expense of countryside). That land up in NOVA could be generating revenue via Disney rather than being another nondescript patch of trees along the roadside from which only a select few can benefit.
As best I know nothing useful has been doen with that tract. We could have had tourists from around the world. Instead we lost the Disney opportunity & Legoland. What a waste!
No doubt. Prince William County Supervisors messed that up BIGTIME!!! What a shame. They are all in the pockets of the land developers and are now paying the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia