U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 793 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post, so I apologize in advance.

The situation is as follows...

My cousin and her husband and child, along with my husband, and our children decided we were going to split bills at a house that could accommodate all of us. This is in Virginia, and we have a verbal lease. The Landlord is my uncle's (my cousins dad) friend/boss.

I came up with the monies to move in... it was all of my money and was given to the landlord. He wrote a receipt with the cousins name on it. Didn't think anything of it due to the fact we were all excited about living under one roof as it would benefit everyone.

After moving all our belongings from the former residence to the new one, a falling out has happened between my husband and cousin. I don't know who to believe and at this point it doesn't matter.

Arguing for 2 days, being threatened to be kicked out, being told I had 15 days to leave... I don't know where I stand. I had to abide by certain stipulations in order to eliminate the arguing.

Some history... the cousin and her husband do not have employment. The cousin did do some side work with her dad (who works for the landlord) however I have not seen any money for repayment.

My husband and I have full time jobs, all utilities are in my name. I have solely paid for the deposit and first months rent. As I mentioned the receipt was written in to her, however I have several text messages stating I would be repaid. Her dad also saying if she didn't pay he would get it back.

During our arguing and after being told I had 15 days unless I agreed to things, I was wigging out. I have a 5 year old daughter and no money now after giving all of it to this current house, and no where to go in such short time.

What are my options as far as if they can evict me or kick me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM

401 posts, read 718,774 times
This link will provide you the legal answer. I do not believe they can kick you out but you should get all the money evidence in line as you may have to pursue repayment in small claims court.
http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia