U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
People tend to identify Nebraska with the university. If I wear a "Nebraska" sweatshirt, most people will assume I'm referring to the school. If I wear a "California" sweatshirt they'll assume I went on vacation there and picked up a souvenir. "Virginia" would probably be somewhere in the middle, depending on whether or not the sweatshirt was Orange and Blue.
Wahoowa!

It's better than orange and that god-awful burgundy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
I second the folks who say that geographic pride isnt limited to just the Great State...

I'm from Prince George/Hopewell. In my experiences, someone not familiar or from the Richmond or Hampton Roads area will not know where Prince George or Hopewell is. So it is simpler to just say "Richmond" or "20-30 minutes (depending on your route) south of Richmond"...

However, even in Upstate New York, you cant generalize, because Upstaters are proud as well. My town is Elmira, but unless you are a)from the Rochester or Syracuse areas, or b)familiar with the prison system, New Yorkers arent going to recognize where Elmira is. And when you travel outta state, beyond the PA Northern Tier, forget about it. You're better off saying you're an hour and a half south of Syracuse...

We as a people identify with cities, as we are an urbanized culture, so we arent going to great lengths to learn about smaller cities or more rural areas. My ex-girlfriend used to live in Ocala, FL. Its not a terribly small city, but it wasnt identifiable in location in my brain until she correlated it to Orlando. Then I knew it was in Central Florida...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,076,339 times
My response to the "where are you from" question changes depending on my mood. For the most part I say the DC area, DC suburbs, or right outside DC. I identify more with DC than Virginia. Interestingly enough my mother will tell people she has a son in Virginia. DC is an after thought to her.

I don't really identify with Virginia. Northern Virginia is just so vastly different. Its important to identify where in VA one is from. I'm originally from Columbus GA and the best way to insult me is to say I'm from Atlanta or Savannah. Both lovely cities but that is NOT where I grew up and not where I am from. I will probably never move back to Columbus (I also hate reminding people there's more than one Columbus, in my experience there's only one. What does Ohio have to do with me?), but I wear my origin like a badge of honor. So I can understand the desire to want people to specifically know where one came from.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,868,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

I will assume the "random dude" is not caucasion and perhaps he has had bad experiences in Virginia with race, who knows....
Or perhaps it's that the state was the capital of the confederacy? I know we like to avoid associating slavery with the civil war here in the state but Virginia represents racism to many. Heck, there are plenty of folks that don't even know that Maryland was below the Mason-Dixon

Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,367,801 times
nova for me. why? because we resent the rest of the state.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
nova for me. why? because we resent the rest of the state.
Thats kinda what I figured.

But don't worry...the feeling is reciprocated.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM

781 posts, read 1,093,842 times
No the feeling isn't reciprocated, and that person dosen't speak for the whole NOVA either probably just a troll anyways.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,576,988 times
I second the folks who say it's not unique to Virginia. I'm a California "alum", and definitely refer to where I'm from as southern california or the south coast.

I tell people now I'm from DC. My address is Virginia, but I maybe drive south of the beltway once or twice a year at most (we go north to Maryland far more often), so it seems odd to associate with the whole of Virginia when I really don't have any ties to the state besides who my income tax goes to. "DC" paints a more accurate picture of my daily life than "Virginia".

Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM

892 posts, read 1,928,869 times
I always tell people I'm from the town/city and assuming they have no idea where it is will follow up with the region of the state. And sometimes relate it to how far from DC it is since everyone knows where DC is. An example would be, I'm from Staunton, VA which is in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley about 2.5-3 hours southwest of DC. And like others have pointed out, you can't just say you're from VA and leave it at that. There's at least 5 or 6 different cultural regions of the state totally different from the other. It's just a specific and accurate way of informing curious people where you're from. And just a side note, when I think of Nebraska, it all does seem about the same. Omaha excluded. Barely.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,367,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
No the feeling isn't reciprocated, and that person dosen't speak for the whole NOVA either probably just a troll anyways.

i meant that in the sense of being taxed to fix the other areas of the state when nova needs it. i get that 99% of the revenue comes from hr and nova areas, but it seems folks down in richmond only think about anything south of richmond.

even from a political point, nova is different than the rest of va. If it were up to nova, we'd change some of the absurd laws richmond has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia