U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,797,743 times

Advertisements

I always do it and so do most of the other people I know from VA. I'm from Southwest Virginia and everytime I tell someone about it I always always say SOUTHWEST Virginia. People from NOVA always say Northern Virginia. People from Eastern VA say Eastern VA or Hampton Roads area...a lot of the kids I know from the Chesapeake area say Southeast VA which kinda molds into that Hampton Roads distinction. One of my good friends from Harrisonburg always says central VA.

I never really paid a ton of attention to this until I moved away a few years ago. I now live in Lincoln, NE for work and when people here say where they're from, they all say Nebraska...regardless of location within the state.

Is there a reason we Virginians seem to feel a need to specify our location within the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM

781 posts, read 1,096,298 times
Because most metros in VA especially the biggest ones are drastically diffrent from one another and i think its just people taking pride in their area.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,295,540 times
I think most folks from larger states to that - i.e., PA - most say what area in PA, not just the state.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM

8,145 posts, read 9,588,988 times
Nebraska may refer to itself by the state but most larger states identify a city/region. Trust me someone from Dallas will definetly not accept being refered to as "from Houston" and Philly wll not accept Pittsburgh.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,110,553 times
Depends on the state. In Illinois you may say you're from Chicagoland or Downstate. In New York from New York or Upstate. In California from SoCal or the Bay Area.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,235,753 times
LOL....... I always tell folks that I am from the most beautiful, most excellent of the Almighty's creations...... the Shenandoah Valley!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 AM

I've always wondered if it has anything to do with the states history. The reason I say that is most of the people I've spoken with from nova will reply either "nova" or "DC area." People from other parts of the state do apply their geographic indicator as well but I'd be willing to say almost 100% of northern Virginians do. One of the interactions I had that prompted this thread was a guy I met that just transferred to my office. When he introduced himself to the office he said he was from "just outside DC" which lead me to believe he was probably from VA or MD. I went over and said hi and asked which state he was from and his reply was, "not the racist one."

So I wonder if people, especially from nova, attach DC area or northern to the Virginia to seperate from the states history or to ensure that we know that region is different at all or do you think just was just a random dude with a chip on his shoulder?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM

8,145 posts, read 9,588,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've always wondered if it has anything to do with the states history. The reason I say that is most of the people I've spoken with from nova will reply either "nova" or "DC area." People from other parts of the state do apply their geographic indicator as well but I'd be willing to say almost 100% of northern Virginians do. One of the interactions I had that prompted this thread was a guy I met that just transferred to my office. When he introduced himself to the office he said he was from "just outside DC" which lead me to believe he was probably from VA or MD. I went over and said hi and asked which state he was from and his reply was, "not the racist one."

So I wonder if people, especially from nova, attach DC area or northern to the Virginia to seperate from the states history or to ensure that we know that region is different at all or do you think just was just a random dude with a chip on his shoulder?
I really think you are reading more than needs be into it. If I said I am from Garden City NY (As an example) you would most likely say where? But if I say I am from Long Island, that will most likely register in your mind. Virginia is the same way if I said i'm from Bumpus most would not recognize it but if I say Richmond or Central Virginia that clicks.

I will assume the "random dude" is not caucasion and perhaps he has had bad experiences in Virginia with race, who knows....

Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I really think you are reading more than needs be into it. If I said I am from Garden City NY (As an example) you would most likely say where? But if I say I am from Long Island, that will most likely register in your mind. Virginia is the same way if I said i'm from Bumpus most would not recognize it but if I say Richmond or Central Virginia that clicks.

I will assume the "random dude" is not caucasion and perhaps he has had bad experiences in Virginia with race, who knows....
I see what you're saying...I've just noticed that it's MUCH more pronounced with NOVA than the other parts of the state...I always assumed it was because NOVA and Rest of VA are for all intents and purposes two different states culturally and demographically.

The guy was white......but a very "i'm going to be offended on your behalf" "stuff white people like" kinda guy.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,110,553 times
People tend to identify Nebraska with the university. If I wear a "Nebraska" sweatshirt, most people will assume I'm referring to the school. If I wear a "California" sweatshirt they'll assume I went on vacation there and picked up a souvenir. "Virginia" would probably be somewhere in the middle, depending on whether or not the sweatshirt was Orange and Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia