U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 7,007 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was pulled over. I made a dumb mistake and did not check my speedometer and was pulled over. The cop says I was going 60 on a 40 and was mad because i didnt slow down when seeing him. The thing is I didnt even realize he was there until it was too late.

I am only 18 years old and that was my first time ever getting pulled over. I am very nervous and stressed out my court date is in a month and a half which is too long of a wait.

Any idea on what is going to happen? I can't afford to get a lawyer at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,031,458 times
go to court and they will more than likely reduce it. you will probably have to pay court costs & fines in the range of $100-$200. they'll probably offer you driving school to get it off your record.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM

I am more than likely going to cry through the whole hearing. Im really nervous. Do you think my license will be suspended? I work 2 jobs and volunteer at a therapy clinic for children with disabilities. I have to work.

How do I convince them to reduce the charge?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Also, I am going to sign up for that 8 hour driving course to take in the next week so that when i go to court i can show them that i took the course right after the ticket was given.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM

they wont suspend your license. they only do that if you've gotten a bunch of tickets in a short period or fail to pay fines. they just want your money. the driving course should definitely help.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,825,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristie3 View Post
Also, I am going to sign up for that 8 hour driving course to take in the next week so that when i go to court i can show them that i took the course right after the ticket was given.
Might want to check with the clerks office first. Some courts won't accept the driving school unless approved by a judge. Prince William being one.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM

I am applying for the one the DMV offers. Even if they don't accept it I feel as though it will still show that I learned from my mistake and took action to better the situation. Do you think so as well?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,923,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristie3 View Post
I am applying for the one the DMV offers. Even if they don't accept it I feel as though it will still show that I learned from my mistake and took action to better the situation. Do you think so as well?

Did you learn from your mistake? Have you already slowed down to the posted speed limit, are you driving more cautiously, are you paying attention to only your driving and not chatting on your cell phone or texting or reading texts? I hope you have learned there is nothing more important than paying attention to exactly what you are doing and what is going on around you while you are in your moving vehicle.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Yes I did. I was overly cautious going to work today. This situation is not as bad as it could have been and I am thankful for that. I learned that Driving is not to be taken lightly. I was so stressed out over this happening I did not eat for a whole day. and cried for hours. I was nervous about court before but I am going to better myself before that time and hope for the best. I am probably going to get a third job to pay for everything. I am not a stupid person but what I did was very stupid.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you learn from your mistake? Have you already slowed down to the posted speed limit, are you driving more cautiously, are you paying attention to only your driving and not chatting on your cell phone or texting or reading texts? I hope you have learned there is nothing more important than paying attention to exactly what you are doing and what is going on around you while you are in your moving vehicle.
thats nice and all but the court doesn't care. they just want your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia