Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,453,648 times

Advertisements

BARBOURSVILLE, Virginia (AP) -- Winemaker Luca Paschina arrived from Italy 17 years ago on a mission to bring his craft to Virginia, tailor grape-growing to the local climate and soil, and succeed where Thomas Jefferson failed a couple hundred years before.

Virginia is for wine lovers - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/getaways/10/24/virginia.wine.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,263,201 times
I was definately surprised at the number of vineyards in Virginia after moving back.... They dot the landscape.. Up in the northern Blue Ridge area there are TONS of vineyards. As a wine lover I think that they are on par with some of the best wine-making regions in the country and possibly the world....

Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 AM

20 posts, read 71,009 times
Thumbs up Reclaiming the Land

I was pleased to read an article last year that described vineyards being planted on abandoned strip mines in the SW part of the state. I hope this venture is successful, both economically and ecologically. If anybody has additional information or update, I'd be interested in hearing more.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,872,337 times
Default Good News for Wine Snobs

The wine business is making big inroads here in VA. Wine snobs are always
looking for new and exciting wines that have different tastes, etc. We all know what exists in California, France, etc. Virginia is now competing with those areas of the world. Recent articles that I have read point to continued
enthusiasm for Virginia wines. There is a charming winery on the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway(about an hour from Roanoke) called Chateau
Morrisette. It has tours, wine tasting, lunch in a beautiful setting. Its also
near Mabry Mill. Its worth a special trip even you are not a wine snob.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:02 PM

210 posts, read 1,136,782 times
I have got to add to that list. The Rockbridge Vineyards Rockbridge Vineyard located on RT 606 in Raphine, Virginia about 15 miles from Lexington. We also have The Lexington Valley Vineyard Lexington Valley Vineyard

Old 11-11-2007, 11:42 AM

74 posts, read 230,211 times
Veramar Vineyard in Berryville has some wonderful wines too.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,263,201 times
Wasn't going to mention vineyards by name, but okay...

Rappahannock and Oasis just southwest of Front Royal are both incredibly good winemakers in about the most beautiful setting you'll find for a vineyard IMO.....

I'd also add Abingdon Vineyards to that which is in a completely different area of the state, but had a nice experience and good wine there.....

My favorite all-time wine from Anywhere is a wine by Horton Vineyards in the Gordonsville area.... It's their 2003 Norton wine which is TO DIE FOR IMO..... They sell it in some grocery stores in the state so look for it.... FABULOUS wine....

Anyway, I'm sold on Virginia as a major player in the wine industry....

Old 11-12-2007, 08:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,952,434 times
I lived in Virgina for 16 years. I missed out on the vineyards, however, since I was not a wine drinker during those years. Since I've been living in the grape growing region of western Colorado, I've become quite fond of wine tasting at the local wineries. The local wines are among my favorites. I can well imagine that any winery in the Shenandoah Valley would also have some wines that would easily rank among my favorites.

Here's a picture of a vineyard near Grand Junction, CO
As you can see, the landscape is very dry in this area:

blessings....Franco

PS: I would love to see some pictures of Virginia Wineries?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM

111 posts, read 427,775 times
I personally love King Family Vineyards in Crozet. Beautiful setting and polo matches during the summer.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,173,565 times
Colorado and the big square states out West have an admirable and rugged beauty. I've been told an east coaster gets used to it, but every time I'm out in the CO/UT/NV area I feel like my eyeballs had their color settings turned down 80%. I start to miss the lushness of a wetter climate after a few days.

Here are a few Virginia Vineyard photographs I found:

Breaux Vineyards in Purcellville (close to Berryville, Winchester):
http://www.breauxvineyards.com/images/2006Harvest009.jpg (broken link)

Hickory Hill Vineyards in Moneta (near Smith Mountain Lake):

I believe its Valhalla in the Bent Mountain area of Roanoke that also has an "unpublished" vineyard just down Dillons Mill Road in Boones Mill, VA at the foot of Cahas Mountain. It's operated on leased land. It's nothing fancy to look at from the road; from the road it looks much like a farm would, but it's in quite a beautiful setting.

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia