U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 13,190 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our early 30’s. I’m a police officer and she is a nurse. We have one child (toddler), and hope to add a second child soon. We currently live in the Phoenix area, and while we agree there is a lot to like, ten years in the desert has us seeking a move to a more refreshing, greener, cooler locale.

We are considering the following areas: San Diego, San Antonio/Austin, Denver, St. Louis, Virginia. We are both originally from southern California so we are very familiar with all of the pros and cons of there. But we are seeking advice from others in the other places mentioned.

That being said, here’s what we’re looking for…

1. We’d like to be in close proximity to a major city that has some things to do. We love sports; specifically Baseball, Football and Hockey…so places like Denver and St. Louis have things that some others don’t. But Museums, Zoos, and other attractions are equally important, especially those that are great for families and kids.

2. This might be a bit of a kicker…we’d like a little property. We want to be 30 minutes to 1 hour from the aforementioned amenities, but we’d still like to be out just-a-ways so we can have a piece of property with 2+ acres. That’s not something you see everywhere when you’re talking suburbs of major metro areas. But at the same time we don’t want to be very rural…it would be nice to have decent options to go out to eat or take our kids to a swim class and other daily activities.

So I know that’s a bit of a catch 22…but we’re tired of being on top of or neighbors, and we’d like to have some property with a couple of horses or something.

3. Ahh, yes…the weather debate. Coming from Southern CA and the beach weather, we know what great weather is…we also know what you pay for that weather. The one thing I don’t want is long, snowy winters. Some snow…okay. The less humid the better…which is where places like Phoenix and Denver are better than out east. I think we’re a bit flexible with the weather, but would like some insight on what it’s like in this area. Neither of us has visited the east coast beaches...curious how they compare to somewhere like San Diego.

And how bad is the storm/hurricane season? We've been through earthquakes...not a huge deal. And Phoenix is relatively disaster-free.

I'm very interested in hearing about the weather/climate. I've done research and found that it might be a bit humid but it doesn't sound as bad as my pre-conceived notions led me to believe...

4. Schools are important too. I know CA and AZ aren’t known for great education programs…so most places have got to be better than where we are now. I also put a lot of emphasis on parent involvement regarding education…but it would be nice to have some good options for education.

5. What would be the best time to visit the area to get the "best perspective" on the whole area?

We know some places have things that others don’t. There are pros and cons with each of these cities. We’d have a budget of $250K-$350K…that won’t get you much in CA, but it will get you more in other areas.

Sorry for the long post...any insight would be very helpful and appreciated!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 PM

11,386 posts, read 20,190,818 times
First and foremost, get a job (offer) and then investigate nearby/commutable areas. Virginia a a big state.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,588,009 times
With that budget, don't even bother to look at Northern Virginia. That would barely buy a condo. But agree, line up the work first. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:51 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,130,127 times
Coming from the perfect weather state of California will be an adjustment almost everywhere on the East Coast. Virginia beaches will be a let down compared to San Diego, although the water is warmer in summer. Nicer beaches can be found in NC, SC not far away. It is more humid in the eastern side of the state and a bit less in the western part, although the summers can be very humid, hot everywhere. The winters are generally mild but we have gotten blizzards of 25" of snow a few years ago. Generally, the snow melts fast and doesn't stay on the ground like it does in more northern climates. The Spring & Fall are the best times to visit as the gardens are in bloom and the Fall colors shouldn't be missed on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The major city around here is Washington DC. It is possible to take a train there for the day as far away as Roanoke and come home the same day. Property is easier to come by in the more rural parts of the state, also your budget would get a beautiful home in the Roanoke area, probably new construction! Good Luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia