Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new to this so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. We leased our home last year in Oct. under a 12 month lease. In May, we sent a letter to the tenants that we intended to sell the home, and gave them first right of refusal to purchase, and let them know that if they didn't want the home, it would go on the market in August. On 3 different occasions, we were informed that they intended to move and did not want the home. In August, we placed the home on the market with an agent who has an excellent reputation in our area and has been a realtor for more than 40 years. We notified the tenant of the date the house would hit the mls, and let them know that a 24 hour notice would be given in advance of any and all showings. We did NOT tell them they had to leave or vacate the home, and they refused to even leave the room for showings. On two different occasions, our realtor has been screamed and cursed at by our tenants, once in front of a potential buyer, which resulted in us losing a sale. The bottom line...they don't want to move and are sabotaging us being able to find a buyer. At one point they wanted to leave, so we offered to let them break their lease, told them we would release them of the obligation and they didn't have to pay anymore rent, but they would forfeit their security deposit in full. They now are sending texts stating they "fully expect 100% of their deposit back", to which I cannot guarantee as I have not done an inspection of the home. My question is this....isn't harassment of my realtor pretty serious and isn't sabotage reason to ask them to leave pronto?? Between myself and the agent, we have been cursed at 5 times in the last 2 weeks, and one conversation I had lasted 58 minutes to which I didn't get one word in, it was all a rant from the tenant. I should also mention....the berber carpet which was new when they moved in, now has a 2in by 4in rip in it (per my realtor) and I am freaking out that the deposit may not even cover me replacing the rugs. I'm looking for some advice from someone with experiences like mine....and where I go from here. They HAVE to be out November 1, but by then my house will have been sabotaged to the point that we may not be able to sell it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Side note: I could have put them out last Dec for a violation of their lease pertaining to unapproved pets on the property but I let that slide trying to be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,403,627 times
Time to call an experienced real estate attorney. If your agent has been in the business for 40 years, he/she will know who is best in your area.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM

303 posts, read 589,695 times
Try posting this under this subforum. They will give you some good advice.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,642,535 times
Leases are just paper and putting this into the hands of the law will not do any good in the shortrun. Cut your losses and give them back the money. You are losing market time and money with every day of delay. I have rental homes and lots of expererience. You do not want mad tenants in your house, ever. They can cost you 10's of thousands and good luck getting any money from them. As I always say, there is a reason they are renters. Assume the worst and plan accordingly.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM

367 posts, read 882,457 times
DO NOT give the deposit back, you will need that to repair the carpets, keep a paper trail asking them to vacate due xyz, certified mail, email, texts whatever. It's your house get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia