Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,223 times

Advertisements

First off thanks in advance to all that are willing to share some insight! I was offered a job in Harrisonburg and would be relocating from Charleston SC (big change!) I am a 25yo single male. I know Harrisonburg is a big college town and the college scene is one thing I would like to avoid. That being said my hobbies are fishing, working out, and occasionally going out for a couple of beers/music. Where would you recommend some areas I consider for living when I visit in a couple of weeks?

I will be renting a house (must be a house!) with a budget of $1200 monthly.

I have tried to research as much as possible and have found the following areas to be of interest: Staunton, Harrisonburg, Bridgewater, Stuarts Draft. Thanks.

Again all insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 AM

1,813 posts, read 4,192,262 times
I would love to be moving back to Harrisonburg. Lots of decisions about where to live are personal. From my perspective Stuarts Draft is too far away. Why is this one on your list? When I think of Stuarts Draft, I think of factories and the Target Distribution Center.

Staunton is closer, but I would not want to do that commute. I-81 can be crazy with all the big trucks on it. I would stick closer like Harrisonburg & Bridgewater. Throw in Massanutten too. Even Elkton would be fine if you want to be closer to the Drive.

I don't see that having JMU, EMU and Bridgewater nearby makes it a bad place because of being a college town. I would not want to live in the midst of student housing, but you should be able to avoid that.
Good luck!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 AM

382 posts, read 861,012 times
You really have a lot of options because your not far from a lot of activities no matter where you choose to put a "home base". If you want quiet at home I recommend you check out the following areas; Weyers Cave, Grottoes, & Verona. The first is near the interstate and major roads (as far as access, not noise). Grottoes is about 6 miles East of I-81 but you can easily get to Harrisonburg via primary roads through the county (very quiet and flat town, if you like walking or biking). Verona area limits run up to City of Staunton limits on it's north side, it has everything you would need to survive and big shopping (wal-mart, target, etc.) is about 5 miles away.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,155,269 times
I just spent several days in Charleston and loved the place but I can understand the desire to get away from the college scene. You won't escape it in Harrisonburg but I don't believe it's all that pervasive. My son went to school there and it didn't seem to be that big of an issue. I love the Staunton area but I 81 can be a pain at times but nothing like the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia