U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,748 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking for a career change and new place to live after we get married. We currently live and work in Newport News VA.

My family lives in Yorktown and we'd like to live within a couple of hours of them (not a requirement, though). For work, unless there happens to be a business in town, we will probably look for jobs in Richmond or VA Beach, and commute from a small town. If anything jobwise popped up out in western VA, that would be viable, also.

As per a previous post, here is some basic information:

-Where you are working?
My fiance is 30 and qualified for software and finance jobs. He currently works in software testing for a DOD contractor but also has the certifications and tests needed to be an actuary (we just found the software job first). He'd be able to transfer to VA Beach in his current position, but we would need to find a new job to work in Richmond or elsewhere.

-How much are you willing to spend on housing?
We want to buy a house and would spend up to about $400,000. We want to have a yard.

-How long of a commute are you willing to tolerate?
40 minutes. It must be less than an hour.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
When we have kids, it will depend on the school system. Either will be a possibility. If public is really bad and there is no alternative we will home school.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We are looking for a small town. We are tired of the suburbs and desire a more natural environment. We are very outdoorsy. We don't have a TV and we like to walk to our destination when possible. We like to host board game nights and make food for our friends. We like a small town that is big enough to have a "downtown" or a Main street with places to eat, small businesses, etc.

-Community amenities important to you?
We are both politically liberal and mostly vegetarian (except when we have caught our own food). We value diversity and already know that most places in VA will be conservative leaning. We don't engage debate; we believe that people have a right to believe what they believe. That said, it would be cool to know if there is a small town that is a little more left-leaning, or that would be friendly and open-minded.
Church is not a priority. If a town is very church-oriented, as some small towns are, we'd probably go to be part of the community, but we're not very religious. Sorry if that offends you, just trying to be honest

-Pie or cake?
So, totally both! Key Lime Pie or yellow cake with chocolate icing.

I would appreciate any feedback on the small town life in VA! We are just beginning our search and there seem to be a lot of cool people on this site. Towns we have thought of are Suffolk, Smithfield, New Kent, Eastern Shore (more of a commute but still on the table)... We are looking for more ideas and feedback. I'm not even sure if the towns I named count as "small towns" or not, which is why I'm here. Tell me more ideas!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 PM

918 posts, read 795,421 times
Ashland? Floyd? Near Charlottesville?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM

829 posts, read 1,229,363 times
Lots of tech opportunities in Blacksburg...and the town of Floyd would be perfect for you.....except it's a long drive (4.5 hours) to Yorktown....but the vibe you are describing is definitely Floyd. You must come check it out. (32 miles from Floyd to Blacksburg)

Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,748 times
Thank you for the feedback! I love the artist vibe and pretty much everything about Floyd, though it is far out (but if it is the right place, it's the right place). Ashland also seems to have a good community and is centrally located for our family in Raleigh, Yorktown, and DC. I'll check them both out!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 PM

829 posts, read 1,229,363 times
When you come, make sure you experience a Friday evening in downtown Floyd. Not to be missed.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM

123 posts, read 66,994 times
Places we're scheduled to see in the beginning of Nov

Moneta
Huddleston
Goodview
Bedford
Hardy
Penhook
Glade Hill
Lexington
Millboro
Craigsville
Max Meadows
Fincastle
Buena Vista
Rocky Mount
Amherst
Max Meadows
Floyd

I think the only one Ive really read negative comments about on here might be Craigsville. Still want to check it out though (property on a mountain)

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 10-22-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 01:04 PM

297 posts, read 320,748 times
Add Lovingston

Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM

123 posts, read 66,994 times
My opinion after visiting...

My favorite area. I really liked the towns around SML. ALOT of new building going on. The place to be IMHO.
Moneta - Will be making a offer on land there. We'll see how it goes.
Huddleston
Goodview
Bedford - VERY nice, but a bit too remote for commuting.
Hardy
Penhook
Glade Hill
Rocky Mount

Lexington - Town seems nice, but I didnt like the surrounding area we visited west of the town.

These places seem pretty depressed...
Millboro
Craigsville
Buena Vista

Max Meadows - Seemed ok, but further south than I wanted to go.

Floyd - People seem to like this place, but I wasnt able to spend any time there... only went through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia