Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM

14 posts, read 46,165 times

Advertisements

Any campers here willing to share camping stories or information on campgrounds,
camping resorts, State or Federal Parks ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Camping

I live in the western part of the state but I prefer the campgrounds/state parks in West Va. In my opinion, they are vastly superior than VA's.
In Pocahontas County WV, there is a campground called Hawks Nest State Park. This place has great showers, cabins, volleyball courts, lodging with "real food" for those who aren't too keen on camping. Nearby is the New River Gorge with outstanding whitewater rafting, canoeing in summer, bungee jumping off the Bridge, visitor centers. Hunting, fishing is also nearby. Its an awesome place and not far from the VA state line. Also theres a fantastic lake called Lake Moomaw. If you like unspoiled mountain scenery go there. I don't think you can find much to compare here in VA as regards campgrounds.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I live in the western part of the state but I prefer the campgrounds/state parks in West Va. In my opinion, they are vastly superior than VA's.
In Pocahontas County WV, there is a campground called Hawks Nest State Park. This place has great showers, cabins, volleyball courts, lodging with "real food" for those who aren't too keen on camping. Nearby is the New River Gorge with outstanding whitewater rafting, canoeing in summer, bungee jumping off the Bridge, visitor centers. Hunting, fishing is also nearby. Its an awesome place and not far from the VA state line. Also theres a fantastic lake called Lake Moomaw. If you like unspoiled mountain scenery go there. I don't think you can find much to compare here in VA as regards campgrounds.
Yeah I remember going to Hawks Nest as a child, and travel to Lake Moomaw
on a semi-regular basis. Enjoy catching Trout and RockBass below the
Gathright Dam. Nice State Campgrounds around the lake as well.

Tell me, it's been a long while since I've been in Roanoke, is the Star still on
the Mountain ?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM

Another place dear to me is Big Meadows off the Skyline Drive.

Has anyone else here experienced these lofty mountain meadows and the
beautiful Dark Hollow Falls ?

There are Skunks at the Big Meadows Campground that will come into your
site and mug you for food. The little boogers have a racket going on. They
will enter somebody's camp, turn and raise their tail until tossed a hotdog
or someother tastey tidbit, then move off.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Yes, the Star is still on the mountain. When I stayed at Big Meadows Lodge I remembered the giant fireplace in the lobby. They also had a very nice restaurant. Around here there is the Peaks of Otter Lodge which has been one of my favorites for walking trails, picnics, waterfall nearby. It still has a quietness that can't be matched anymore by all of the development everywhere.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM

111 posts, read 428,732 times
Though I've never been there, I hear Hungry Mother State Park and Breaks Interstate Park are real nice. As an aside, here's a nice website for swimming holes, hikes, and day trips.

SwimmingHoles.info Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Yes, the Star is still on the mountain. When I stayed at Big Meadows Lodge I remembered the giant fireplace in the lobby. They also had a very nice restaurant. Around here there is the Peaks of Otter Lodge which has been one of my favorites for walking trails, picnics, waterfall nearby. It still has a quietness that can't be matched anymore by all of the development everywhere.

I remember a 6 hour travel-bus lay-over at Roanoke as a teenager in route to
visit my brother who lived at Drapers Meadows. Enough time to explore Roanoke
and see the Star glowing from atop the mountain. Try to get up in the hills
every chance I get to escape the over developed wasteland that use to be
the surrounding country outside of Hampton Roads. It is in my hopes this
does not happen on the same scale in The Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley.

Have a little place up there I plan to retire to in the hills of my forefathers.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderVA View Post
Though I've never been there, I hear Hungry Mother State Park and Breaks Interstate Park are real nice. As an aside, here's a nice website for swimming holes, hikes, and day trips.

SwimmingHoles.info Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

From what I recall Hungry Mother State Park was/is a nice place. Legend has
it during a French and Indian War raid A woman and child escaped their
captors and after some time in flight they ended up where the park is located
now. The Mother was sick and hungry to the point she could not go on. By
that time a party of frontiersmen were heard near by so the small child did
venture out to hail for rescue. The child told them "Mother is Hungry" and
I suppose it stuck as a place name.

Never been to the Breaks.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Viscount View Post
Any campers here willing to share camping stories or information on campgrounds,
camping resorts, State or Federal Parks ?
Hi,

I had to add that years ago my friend's parents stayed at Lake Fairfax Park with their camper, right in the heart of Reston, VA! It is a very lovely and popular park, but if you continue down one of the roads, they have camping areas. At least they did 10 years ago, and I assume they still do.

PS - If I have the name wrong, someone should correct me, I think this is the right name. This is a rec if you want to be close to DC; I definitely endorse the other recommendations.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Viscount View Post
I remember a 6 hour travel-bus lay-over at Roanoke as a teenager in route to
visit my brother who lived at Drapers Meadows. Enough time to explore Roanoke
and see the Star glowing from atop the mountain. Try to get up in the hills
every chance I get to escape the over developed wasteland that use to be
the surrounding country outside of Hampton Roads. It is in my hopes this
does not happen on the same scale in The Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley.

Have a little place up there I plan to retire to in the hills of my forefathers.
Yes, growth is happening everywhere around Roanoke now. There are apple orchards being bulldozed down for condos, strip centers, etc. Developers are building big energy ineffecient homes on sides and tops of mountains. Pretty depressing. Its not as severe as Hampton Roads as of yet, but I predict the trend will continue as people flock to Roanoke. Its not so bad as of yet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia