Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 9,478 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll try to make this as short as possible: I was speeding in Fairfax (i think), and the ticket was for 75/55, which means its exactly 20 mph over the limit, which qualifies as reckless driving. I saw the cop car from 10-15 cars away, and slowed down immediately to about 62mph as i passed her, but i guess by then it was too late.

I really don't believe i was going 75, i was definitely doing like 72 or 73mph, but i need this reckless driving charge dropped. My plan is to attend a safety driving program, request my driving records from the past (which only include one speeding ticket in DC from the past), and explain that I work for a children's hospital and was coming back from Paul VI Catholic High School, where i was administering concussion baseline testing to almost 50 children. I also graduated just this past May from Georgetown with honors, am not familiar with that area of VA, and was headed directly home.

Do you all think i should be doing anything else to get this dropped to 1mph less so that it's not reckless driving? I don't want to hire a lawyer or have to pay a fine over $250, because I really can't afford any of that. Do you think if i go to court with all of this working in my favor, that I can get it down to 74/55? Please let me know, as i have aspirations for grad school, and cannot have any misdemeanor on my record.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas364 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll try to make this as short as possible: I was speeding in Fairfax (i think), and the ticket was for 75/55, which means its exactly 20 mph over the limit, which qualifies as reckless driving. I saw the cop car from 10-15 cars away, and slowed down immediately to about 62mph as i passed her, but i guess by then it was too late.

I really don't believe i was going 75, i was definitely doing like 72 or 73mph, but i need this reckless driving charge dropped. My plan is to attend a safety driving program, request my driving records from the past (which only include one speeding ticket in DC from the past), and explain that I work for a children's hospital and was coming back from Paul VI Catholic High School, where i was administering concussion baseline testing to almost 50 children. I also graduated just this past May from Georgetown with honors, am not familiar with that area of VA, and was headed directly home.

Do you all think i should be doing anything else to get this dropped to 1mph less so that it's not reckless driving? I don't want to hire a lawyer or have to pay a fine over $250, because I really can't afford any of that. Do you think if i go to court with all of this working in my favor, that I can get it down to 74/55? Please let me know, as i have aspirations for grad school, and cannot have any misdemeanor on my record.

Thanks.

Post in this thread, and you will surely get more response:

Official Reckless Driving Thread

Regarding the bolded above, IMO - you say that to a judge, and they aren't going to take it into consideration. It doesn't excuse your speeding, and it doesn't make you special. They've heard all the excuses that you could you possibly throw at them a thousand times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: