Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 AM

51 posts, read 219,459 times

Advertisements

We are only here for a few months and have a 10 year old. We aren't comfortable taking him trick or treating and are wondering what else there is to do around here that's safe?

Thanks
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 10,744 times
HI,

I always take my son to the Fair Oaks Church on West Ox in Fairfax. Check out the website, http://www.fairoakschurch.org/ . They have a Trunk n' Trick...100 safe parked cars in the back of the church, trunks full of candy...everyone is so nice...we've been to the church many times, but not regular goers there. You don't need to be a member..and it's FREE. They have a haunted house in the church...and a moon bounce...movies on the side of the church...it's great..this year it is on Halloween.... hope you come!.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Why not go trick or treating? It's sad that trick or treating is dying. It was one of my fondest childhood memories!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Why not go trick or treating? It's sad that trick or treating is dying. It was one of my fondest childhood memories!
I agree completely. Going door to door for candy is a tradition that should be upheld. It saddens me to see people doing away with that in favor of going to freakin' shopping malls or churches.

Can we just put a little Hell back into Halloween?

I wouldn't let my kids go trick or treating in LA on their own, but sheesh, you walk WITH them, wait at the curb, let them do their thing. What's the deal? It's become such a dirty word you can't even send kids to school in costumes anymore and they have "Fall Parties" instead of Halloween in school. Can't even mention Halloween in school (at least where I live).

it bums me out.

It's good that there are places that offer alternatives to trick or treating for people who want an easier, one-shot place to take kids, but some churches especially don't acknowledge the Halloween angle and other actively proselytize or have "fear houses" where they scare kids with threats of being Hellbound if they don't "live right" or other such nonsensical garbage.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:30 AM

84 posts, read 567,463 times
Default Trick or Treating

Hi....I live in Centreville, Va....right down the road from Fairfax. I'd recommend the Fair Oaks church activity as I'm familiar with the church and it's very safe....also, I live in Virginia Run off Rt. 29 and Pleasant Valley. VERY safe neighborhood, lots of houses you can hit easily and contained. I've never been hesitant to let mine trick or treat here and we have three boys, 9, 11, 12.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
LOL, That's where I grew up! I grew up trick or treating in Virginia Run. I went trick or treating there and always had a blast.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Beware of traffic gridlock on Halloween afternoon. Seems that most parents leave work early so they can take the youngsters out trick or treating. I've never seen such gridlock in my life as on that one day of the year. Saw it that way in western Fairfax, where we lived for 31 years.

Advice:
- Leave work no later than 2PM. Really.
- Pass on the whole thing, stay at the office, work late, go to dinner and a movie, head home about 8PM, the roads will be empty and most kids will be back in their homes.

s/Mike

Old 10-25-2006, 09:48 AM

51 posts, read 219,459 times
Thanks for all the great info! We'll check out the church and maybe the Virginia Run neighborhood, if we can find it!

I'm not opposed to trick or treating. This would be the first year we skipped. I love Halloween and trick or treating, but I don't know what areas are safe and I get lost every single time I leave my apartment! When I say safe I mean poisoned candy. Obviously I'll be with him, but that doesn't guarantee our safety either. When I watch the news I see that women get attacked all the time here, even in neighborhoods. So my 2 concerns are poisoned candy and our physical safety. Is it not as bad as the news makes it out to be? I'm from a small town in New Mexico where everyone knows everyone else so this big city life is a bit daunting to me!

Old 10-25-2006, 10:28 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,396 times
In my opinion, nothing is ever as bad as the news makes it out to be. That being said, you should always be careful. When I was a child, my mom used to go through my candy and take away anything that could have been unwrapped and re-wrapped. Now I do the same thing with my children. Also, I knew some people that lived in an area where they didn't feel safe, so they drove to a "nice" neighborhood that wasn't too far away and did their trick-or-treating there. Maybe you could try that.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:48 PM

84 posts, read 567,463 times
Default Virginia Run Trick or Treating

Hi saw your response regarding Va. Run and location....from Fairfax take I-66 West, take the SECOND Centreville exit Rt. 29 South; right off the ramp, then go to the third traffic light and make a right onto Pleasant Valley...there is a huge community center on the left with a red roof, can't miss it......all of the neighborhood is very nice.....good streets to hit for houses close together would be Eagle Tavern (2nd on left as enter community) .....or Stillfield, ( 4th on right I believe)....HAVE FUN IF YOU COME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia