Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 334 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm selling my car and need to transfer the title over but unfortunately, the DMVs are now closed until April. I'm not having much luck finding info online and there isn't anyone at the DMV to even take a call. Any ideas on how I can still proceed to sell the car without the DMV needing a visit immediately? Can the buyer use old plates for the time being since I have to take my plates with me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 03:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
The tags belong to the State of VA and you cannot loan them out. And of course you would not want the liability that goes with it. You, and likely thousands across the US, are in that proverbial poop house until things settle down a little. If you feel you need to make the sell then sign the title over to them but make sure you take the tags off. They can use their own tags but the liability is off you. Notify your insurance co the moment they drive off. Of course you cannot turn the tags into DMV as you are supposed to but if your local DMV has a drop box you could leave it in there or maybe mail them to DMV so you have proof they were sent in. It's not perfect but not sure what else you can do.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlady View Post
Hi!

I'm selling my car and need to transfer the title over but unfortunately, the DMVs are now closed until April. I'm not having much luck finding info online and there isn't anyone at the DMV to even take a call. Any ideas on how I can still proceed to sell the car without the DMV needing a visit immediately? Can the buyer use old plates for the time being since I have to take my plates with me?

Thanks!
You fill out the back of the title with their information and sign it. Make a photo copy of it and remove your plates. Make a ASIS bill of sale and both of you sign it. Take the cash, hand over the title to them. Go online and remove it and then contact your insurance company. The end for you as they are one's who have to deal with DMV to register it.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The tags belong to the State of VA and you cannot loan them out. And of course you would not want the liability that goes with it. You, and likely thousands across the US, are in that proverbial poop house until things settle down a little. If you feel you need to make the sell then sign the title over to them but make sure you take the tags off. They can use their own tags but the liability is off you. Notify your insurance co the moment they drive off. Of course you cannot turn the tags into DMV as you are supposed to but if your local DMV has a drop box you could leave it in there or maybe mail them to DMV so you have proof they were sent in. It's not perfect but not sure what else you can do.
You don't have to turn in the tags. One only does so in order to get a partial refund of the registration fee.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You don't have to turn in the tags. One only does so in order to get a partial refund of the registration fee.

True but it's for the legal protection for those done with the tags. Someone removes them from the trash and uses them in a crime then someone needs to now explain themselves. DMV won't come after you and I just cut mine up and dispose of them.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:36 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
I was wondering something similar. I recently purchased a new vehicle and the temporary tags expire at the end of the month. Will I have to park it until DMV reopens? I do still have my tags from my previous car.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
True but it's for the legal protection for those done with the tags. Someone removes them from the trash and uses them in a crime then someone needs to now explain themselves. DMV won't come after you and I just cut mine up and dispose of them.
Cutting them up is the current procedure.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I was wondering something similar. I recently purchased a new vehicle and the temporary tags expire at the end of the month. Will I have to park it until DMV reopens? I do still have my tags from my previous car.
If you ordered plates online then they come in the mail. Most plate manufacturing is contracted out to the prison system. If the title, registration and plates don't show up by the expiration date, go online and printout whatever you can from there. As the plates themselves, contact the State Police and ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia