Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times

Advertisements

I live in Richmond and I'm generally proud of Northern Virginia. I always enjoy my time up there. The people are attractive (VA is a good-looking state) and driven which is nice. The ethnic food is great and of course the proximity to Washington is fantastic. Northern Virginia without DC would be Atlanta, no thanks!

I used to live out near Reston and spend and hour or two checking it out when I'm driving through (to Harrisburg PA...Fairfax County Parkway to the toll road to 15). I'm always excited to see what's new or under construction.
I think that the land is very pretty. I haven't missed anything about my time there tough.

You can have pretty much the same life or better in Richmond or Hampton Roads. It isn't particularly unique or anymore interesting than other places n the commonwealth. It is certainly wealthier and better educated (IQ scores are on par with the rest of the state which test higher than most states).

So yeah, I like it up there. There is a lot to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 AM

97 posts, read 188,778 times
I think "NoVa" is a dated concept. 15 years ago and back...yes, it was very different from the entire "rest of Virginia." But I'd make the following argument: I think the Urban Crescent (NoVa, Richmond, Hampton Roads) has a lot more in common nowadays than differences in terms of socioeconomic measures and development.

As I've posted before, Richmond and Charlottesville are getting Wegmans stores. 10 years ago, "Wegmans" in Virginia meant NoVa. 15 years ago "Whole Foods" meant NoVa (and Charlottesville) when you talked about Virginia.

Honestly, is there that much difference in how someone in Fairfax County lives than how someone in Henrico, Albemarle, or Virginia Beach lives? I'd argue that the differences aren't that great when you look at media household income, health, school systems, etc. 15 years ago, sure, there was a pretty large gap. Now? Not really. Obviously, they don't have the same attractions that D.C. has. But in terms of everyday life, I just don't know that there's a big gap between those places and Fairfax County.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAbornandbred View Post
I think "NoVa" is a dated concept. 15 years ago and back...yes, it was very different from the entire "rest of Virginia." But I'd make the following argument: I think the Urban Crescent (NoVa, Richmond, Hampton Roads) has a lot more in common nowadays than differences in terms of socioeconomic measures and development.

As I've posted before, Richmond and Charlottesville are getting Wegmans stores. 10 years ago, "Wegmans" in Virginia meant NoVa. 15 years ago "Whole Foods" meant NoVa (and Charlottesville) when you talked about Virginia.

Honestly, is there that much difference in how someone in Fairfax County lives than how someone in Henrico, Albemarle, or Virginia Beach lives? I'd argue that the differences aren't that great when you look at media household income, health, school systems, etc. 15 years ago, sure, there was a pretty large gap. Now? Not really. Obviously, they don't have the same attractions that D.C. has. But in terms of everyday life, I just don't know that there's a big gap between those places and Fairfax County.
It's not just DC..... NoVa has many attractions and the DC area is one of the few places in the United States to have dense/walkable suburbs. This is not the case for Hampton Roads or Richmond. You guys have nothing like Arlington, Falls Church, Tysons, Old Town, etc. You guys don't have places where you can leave your house and be able to live OUTSIDE the city and jump on the subway and be within the city limits in minutes. You guys don't have an abundance of world class attractions such as the Arlington cemetery where people from across the country come to visit. There's a big difference from a person in Fairfax and henrico. Especially schools, I think it's even pretty foolish to compare fairfax county schools to henrico.... Lol. In fairfax county it is very very hard to be in a "bad" school which doesn't exist. The SAT scores are a lot higher here, most UVA students are from NoVa. Just take that into consideration.

90% of the top 20 schools in VA are in NoVa.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...ngs?int=985c08

Also I think it's funny how you even think NoVa and Richmond and HR are even in the same league when it comes to the economy? What?! You guys don't even have a close GDP to ours. You don't have the same affluence NoVa has either. 6 of the top 10 richest counties of America are in NoVa. You guys don't have places like McLean, Great Falls, Northern Arlington, etc. are you really comparing fairfax'a household median income to henrico? You need to look up the difference.... In henrico the median is 49k and in fairfax it's 81k...... Hmmm no difference there?

"NoVa" is not a outdated concept. Places such as the Research Triangle in North Carolina aren't even on to the NoVa level yet. NoVa is one of the most affluent regions in this country, people pay a premium to live here. Getting a Wegmans and Whole Foods doesn't mean you are all the sudden on the same level NoVa is. It's a grocery store.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM

94 posts, read 154,651 times
Let's hope Nova can continue with its robust economy with its heavy reliance on public sector employment which seems to
Be weakening. The Federal Government cannot be counted on in Virginia as our main employer forever. Virginia is finally
Realizing other states, especially NC are much more aggressive in attracting or "stealing" good paying jobs away from this state.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Living View Post
Let's hope Nova can continue with its robust economy with its heavy reliance on public sector employment which seems to
Be weakening. The Federal Government cannot be counted on in Virginia as our main employer forever. Virginia is finally
Realizing other states, especially NC are much more aggressive in attracting or "stealing" good paying jobs away from this state.
Annandale VA: Inova will develop medical research institute on ExxonMobil site

Already happened

Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
median income in Chesterfield County is $72K
Goochland county $80K
Hanover $76K

York county $71K
James City county $70K
Poquoson $81K

it's no $110K that Fairfax enjoys but it is far from shabby.

For comparison, Wake county (Raleigh) is $66K and Mecklenburg (Charlotte) is $55.
Virginia outside of NoVa is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited by spencer114; 02-14-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 01:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
I am not from nova but I am from DC metro, and I've been in Roanoke for 6 years. Absolutely love it. My commute is 12 minutes, I can climb a mountain before heading home after work, and I've still got access to Thai food & indie movies & great live music. The Beltway is close enough that I get my fix when I need it, but I could just as easily be in Asheville or at the beach.
What fix would you need from NoVA? It's not an urban anything. Isn't it just a bunch of stressful traffic with little else to offer than that. The uniqueness of Washington DC itself is excellent and well-worth it. A fix of NoVA though? I can see the interest in Thai food though, but that definitely is not unique to NoVA by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:48 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
It's not just DC..... NoVa has many attractions and the DC area is one of the few places in the United States to have dense/walkable suburbs. This is not the case for Hampton Roads or Richmond. You guys have nothing like Arlington, Falls Church, Tysons, Old Town, etc. You guys don't have places where you can leave your house and be able to live OUTSIDE the city and jump on the subway and be within the city limits in minutes. You guys don't have an abundance of world class attractions such as the Arlington cemetery where people from across the country come to visit.
This doesn't make any sense. Richmond IS walkable. It's a great alternative to not being in Washington DC itself. Living in a car-centric suburb is far less preferable than urban Richmond.

Living in car-centric NoVA with a world-class attraction like the Arlington Cemetary? Yes, all the residents in NoVA living there to have easy access to that cemetery. Are you serious?

I could see the Arlington/Old Town being a COMPARABLE argument with Richmond. But it's a comparison, not a Richmond doesn't have anything walkable like Alexandria does, argument.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
It's not just DC..... NoVa has many attractions and the DC area is one of the few places in the United States to have dense/walkable suburbs. This is not the case for Hampton Roads or Richmond. You guys have nothing like Arlington, Falls Church, Tysons, Old Town, etc. You guys don't have places where you can leave your house and be able to live OUTSIDE the city and jump on the subway and be within the city limits in minutes. You guys don't have an abundance of world class attractions such as the Arlington cemetery where people from across the country come to visit. There's a big difference from a person in Fairfax and henrico. Especially schools, I think it's even pretty foolish to compare fairfax county schools to henrico.... Lol. In fairfax county it is very very hard to be in a "bad" school which doesn't exist. The SAT scores are a lot higher here, most UVA students are from NoVa. Just take that into consideration.

90% of the top 20 schools in VA are in NoVa.

Search Virginia High Schools | US News

Also I think it's funny how you even think NoVa and Richmond and HR are even in the same league when it comes to the economy? What?! You guys don't even have a close GDP to ours. You don't have the same affluence NoVa has either. 6 of the top 10 richest counties of America are in NoVa. You guys don't have places like McLean, Great Falls, Northern Arlington, etc. are you really comparing fairfax'a household median income to henrico? You need to look up the difference.... In henrico the median is 49k and in fairfax it's 81k...... Hmmm no difference there?

"NoVa" is not a outdated concept. Places such as the Research Triangle in North Carolina aren't even on to the NoVa level yet. NoVa is one of the most affluent regions in this country, people pay a premium to live here. Getting a Wegmans and Whole Foods doesn't mean you are all the sudden on the same level NoVa is. It's a grocery store.
Tysons is the poster child for UN-WALKABILITY.....

Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Tysons is the poster child for UN-WALKABILITY.....
That is very very true. Although I was referring to future Tysons with the new plans etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia