Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking general information about Winchester; pros and cons of living in Winchester, cost of real estate, employment opportunities, school districts

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:17 AM

57 posts, read 155,072 times

Advertisements

oops.. I thought the last post didn't go thru.. sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLinda View Post
Winchester, Home of Patsy Cline.Search Google and see alot.
The Apple Blossom is traditional for the reason it has depended on the apple croup so much it was time to celebrate.. back when.. But there are also NICE stars that will visit and usually stay in someones home! That is the major celebration, but there is teh Patsy Cline Celebration every labor day weekend. No parade but a LOT odf fans from all over the WORLD.. People who want to stay away for the boom jut plan their out of town trips and vacations for then. And y ou get to know the other route to travel around town and avoid a lot. . You KNOW it is the first weekend in May. It is actually one of the largest happenings in the tri state area and even on the east Coast. Lots of history in WInchester and surrounding areas. It is growing so fast that if you don''t read the paper you would wonder where did THAT restaurant come from.. or road.. Or mall. Or Wal Mart (there are 2) About every restaurant is there now. The hospital and Drs ARE the best .. I think the rating is in the top 5 on the East coast.. You can look it up. Google it and follow the links to most of it. Plenty of work and recreation. It is becoming a very large city now.
Very true..there was a time when the Apple Blossom celebrities would actually stay in people's homes ( usually Senators Russ Potts' house ) but that is changing. Winchester is reopening the huge upscale George Washington Hotel and Wyndham Hotels is investing a lot of money on that. I would imagine the stars will stay there instead. That is if Winchester can continue to get them.

Every year it does seem harder and harder for Winchester to get the celebrities to attend the bloom, but I put the blame on that on Winchester and Frederick County. I never did buy that "..why Winchester is a small town..they can't get them !!" idea.
True Winchester is a small city of 26,000 ( 100,000 if you add in Frederick County's population ) but over 200,000 somestimes 300,000+ show up every year for the bloom. That makes Winchester a major city..well for a few days anyway.

Besides the area had a chance to team up with Shenandoah University to build a 8,000-10,000 seat arena several years ago but politics got in the way plus some of the "old timers" felt it wasn't needed. Actually it is. Shenandoah University, not too mention the local high schools are all growing at a fast pace not only with the number of students but their sports programs as well plus with I-81 right there and a modern airport that is able to handle jets . Winchester's Q102 radio has very close ties to Nashville and they could bring in some top country music stars. Also it needs to be pointed out that the other towns in the region (Martinsburg, Hagerstown, Cumberland, Front Royal, etc.. ) don't have such a facility, I cant see why it would not be a success.

The people at the bloom back in the 90's almost got their hands on TV legend Carol Burnett to visit for the festival and there was a story that was reported sometime ago that when Dan Ackroyd was in town for the Bloom he really wanted to do a concert tribute to the Blues Brothers. That would have been a bonanza !! Great for the Bloom and for Winchester !! But Burnett & Ackroyd like many other stars well they want to be able to perform in front of a group of thousands and Handley High School's 300 seats doesn't quite cut it. Had that arena been built, who knows? Winchester could really get some first class acts to show up and not just for Apple Blossom.

Last edited by billybobwv; 01-25-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 14,158 times
Winchester is a generally nice area. It is somewhat easy to get around. But to be frank, there is a rather high crime rate in this city. The schools are well-built and nice, but the students there (according to many people) are not very well-behaved. However, there are good jobs in this city. Stephens City, which is right outside Winchester, is much safer, but it does take longer to get places.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM

9 posts, read 51,051 times
Default This needs to be noted.

I have lived in Winchester my whole life and i have a few things to say about this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
Really the biggest downside against Winchester is their annual Apple Blossom Festival.
The entire city really does shut down for the few days in the beginning of May. Why Winchester feels the festival must take place on a Friday and the weekend rather than having it just a "weekend festival" is beyond me.

Every person has their opinion on things. But let me tell you. EVERYONE loves Apple Blossom. Its the biggest event of the year! Winchester wants everyone to feel the excitement of the parade. It is almost impossible not to have fun. So, don't complain.

What is closed?
ALL Schools
Banks ( they shut down early on Friday and all day Saturday )
many factories ( though that number has gone down in recent years )

Let me correct you: there are a FEW factories. Not many.

Mail, UPS, Fedex, ect.. delivery still takes place but I believe even that slows down quite a bit due to the "bloom"

Delivery isn't a problem here in Winchester.

Forget having a pizza delievered to your house during the festival.

Why is this topic based on Apple Blossom alone? Apple Blossom doesn't happen around the clock. There are other places too you know. There are the constant buildings of hotels, restruants, and shops. If you don't get out of your house...for lets say...a month? You would be driving and turn and see a building that has never been there before. Building isn't quite as fast as Manassas' , but it is quick enough.

and if you have friends who live pretty much within the city limits and you have no desire to see the bloom, might as well forget visiting them. Its a pain in the butt to get inside the city. The National Guard/ Military Police sees to that.

Amen. This I agree 100%. Everyone i know and who THEY know always goes to Apple Blossom. Even if they drop by. and its not a pain in the butt to get IN. Its a pain in the butt to get OUT.

Crime goes way up during the bloom as many people believe it the time to get drunk and party and many do which results into quite a bit of fights on the streets and other illegal "activities".

Which is why police swarms the area. lol .
But the fights RARELY happen on the streets of the parade.

But Winchester believes the bloom brings in a lot of money for the area which it does but it is hell living there when the bloom takes place and one has no interest in it.

It gets me why she/he only picked the topic of Apple Blossom to tell you about Winchester. But there are lots of things to do, and lots of places to live. and Let me tell you, its growing fast. And another thing: Newcomers always say, "everyone knows everyone". NOT TRUE. There are ALOT of new people here, we can't keep up. Its growing dramatically.
and there is crime here, but no murders. If there is, its once every 2 year TOPS.
The schools are good. Depends which one you go to. I am NOT a racist at all when I say this : Generally when there are a lot of hispanics or blacks, there are frequent fights and drug use. Its just common knowledge. But, im not saying EVERY single hispanic/black does that, caucasians do that as well. Just do NOT send your kid or go to a private school. Thats where all the bad kids cast-offs go to. believe me. The education is good as well and so are the teachers. but the schoolboard is having to cut down 14 Billion Dollars into our education. So we are having to cut back on Ice cream parties, etc.
Good shopping centers...
Great food.

We have freezing winters, hot summers, mild springs and cool autumns, so bring all the necessary clothing. and Good luck. PM me if you need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia