Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,578 times

Advertisements

Farmville- Small town, university town, but small population, in many historical areas. Very clean, low cost of living and beautiful surrounding areas.

Clarksville- Even smaller town, lake views ($$$$$$$). Near Kerr Lake. (Buggs Island)

Fries- Tiny community , in Blue Ridge Mountains, Parkway. Galax is nearby.

Last and most interesting....

Floyd- Never a dull moment in this town, in the foothills of the mountains, near Roanoke.

Do an Internet search of all the ones I suggested, and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Default Towns

Great Small town with lots of pre civil war houses and near Harpers Ferry Natl Park. Close enough to DC(about an hour) but light years away as far as culture, traffic, etc.
Another small town in the Shenandoah Valley VA is Weirs Cave, VA. It is in the middle of nowhere with civil war era homes and not too far from Harrisonburg. Beautiful farmland and very quiet.
Clifton Forge, VA, a gorgeous little town in the mountains about an hour north of Roanoke. As yet rather underdeveloped and undiscovered and it has seen better times but for some reason it has a lot of character. I liked it because of the mountain views and proximity to WV lakes and ski resorts.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 32,527 times
Default Try Farmville

Farmville is in south-central Virginia, about 1.5 hours away from Charlotteville and Richmond, and an hour east of Lynchburg (about a half-hour east of Appomattox).

Farmville is a quiet place, though growing. Longwood University has about 6,000 students and is one of the main employers, along with Centra Southside Hospital. It's in the middle of rural Virginia, so if you like to hunt, fish (both are great - several quality lakes nearby for bass & crappie fishing), horseback ride, etc., you'll enjoy Farmville life. There's also a new golf resort called The Manor Resort.

In terms of shopping, Green Front Furniture is a real "mecca" for people wanting quality furniture and imported rugs at low prices. There are also some good antique stores. Farmville is the area shopping hub, so it has the local Wal-Mart and Lowe's, plus the only Starbucks for miles around. It's true that there are a lot of empty stores on Main Street downtown - south of the Green Front warehouse buildings - but that's because there's not enough easy parking right there. Stores that have moved from downtown Main Street to other shopping areas with more parking (like Schewel's furniture and Carrington's Music) have gotten a lot more business.

The Hampton Inn, which opened 3 years ago and is located in the Sunchase development on E. Third St., is almost completely booked 100% of the time, and last year got the Hampton award for the chain's best Virginia hotel! So, people appreciate quality and good service. According to the paper, two other motel chains are going to build in Farmville soon.

Check out The Farmville Directory (FarmvilleDirectory.com), a locally run site that keeps up with new shops and businesses, to get a better idea of what's in town.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM

192 posts, read 631,521 times
Hi - I just found this site so I'm tardy in replying - with the many towns to choose from I'd love to know if you've found "your town" yet? If not I will put my two cents in the pot

Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 43,029 times
yes there are places like you are looking for in Northern Maine

Old 10-10-2008, 04:13 AM

12 posts, read 55,883 times
well have you even thought of either farmville or rocky mount, their both small towns but there growing by leaps & bounds.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
I grew up in northern Virginia, but left in 1969 for Quincy, Illinois for a few years, a small city of about 40,000 then. Quincy had everything a simple man or woman could want: good schools, low crime and sufficient culture to appease the inquisitive — the Chicago Symphony Orchestra would visit once or twice a year, and the local college offered all sorts of diversions. When I returned to Fairfax County in 1972, the massive population had gotten even worse, so, after nine months (teaching in the Staunton area) I left Virginia again, only to return for visits with family and friends. I bought gasoline in Staunton in the summer of 2007, and found that time had not been kind to this beautiful town.

There was also mention of Warrenton earlier in this thread, an absolutely beautiful town then that has since been tainted by urban sprawl and the encroachment of liberal politics from DC and Maryland that threatens to turn this state blue.

My wife and I would love to return to Virginia, but we believe that it will be difficult to find the town where prices for real estate remain reasonable and the individual can remain proudly traditional and individual.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,369 times
Purcellville Virginia for NVA, Lynchburg Virginia for "central"? Both are great. We are looking to move to Waynesboro after 25 years in the Army......small town with everything we need.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM

359 posts, read 476,946 times
How about Bowling Green? I lived there for 2 years and I think it will check all of OP's boxes.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
How about Bowling Green? I lived there for 2 years and I think it will check all of OP's boxes.
OP has likely found what they were looking for since this is an 08 thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia