Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 04:56 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

I apologize for my own ignorance but I was driving in Eastern Kentucky near Harlan last weekend and suddenly crossed into Virginia without realizing that there is a little piece of VA that borders KY. I remember seeing the Welcome to Virginia and Lee County sign but in a way I felt like I was still in Kentucky.

Anyways, when I think of VA, I think of Richmond, Virginia Beach but this was an area of VA I knew nothing about. Do a lot of Virginians know this area. Is there any tourism in this area? In a way, it reminded me a lot of some of the poorest coal counties in KY, so is this considered an economically depressed area of VA?

Any info about Lee County and the surrounding area would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:58 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I apologize for my own ignorance but I was driving in Eastern Kentucky near Harlan last weekend and suddenly crossed into Virginia without realizing that there is a little piece of VA that borders KY. I remember seeing the Welcome to Virginia and Lee County sign but in a way I felt like I was still in Kentucky.

Anyways, when I think of VA, I think of Richmond, Virginia Beach but this was an area of VA I knew nothing about. Do a lot of Virginians know this area. Is there any tourism in this area? In a way, it reminded me a lot of some of the poorest coal counties in KY, so is this considered an economically depressed area of VA?

I don't think there is much in terms of touristy things to do there, besides the Cumberland Gap National Park. It is a very poor county.

interesting tidbit from Wikipedia, though...

" Lee County is physically closer to eight state capitals other than its own capital in Richmond: Raleigh, North Carolina; Columbia, South Carolina; Atlanta, Georgia; Nashville, Tennessee; Charleston, West Virginia; Frankfort, Kentucky; Columbus, Ohio, and Indianapolis, Indiana."

Lee County, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-02-2015, 05:30 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
All of southwest VA is extremely poor and I would call it "Virginia in name only." These were heavy mining areas with extremely rugged terrain, so they were never suitable for a large population. The easy to get coal has been retrieved, and what mining remains is more automated and higher skill than in the past. You have some small scale agriculture around Jonesville on the Wilderness Road, but it's nothing like big ag in the Midwest, or even what you'd see in the Bluegrass area of Kentucky.

The national park over there is beautiful, but again, you are so isolated that there is really no reason to be there. There's no shopping or anything of note in Lee County, and most residents have to go back to the Tri-Cities (90 minutes away) for bigger shopping or Middlesborough for essentials.

I certainly wouldn't waste any time in that area. It is dead and not going to come back.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:33 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

There are a lot of interesting facts on the Wikipedia page for Lee County as well as the Lee County tourism page. It's safe to say that most people in the Richmond and Virginia Beach areas believe Virginia ends at Blacksburg and don't even realize there's far more land beyond that. After living on both ends of the state I tend to actually think of Southwestern Virginia as traditional Virginia without the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern influence I-95 has brought to NOVA/Richmond/Hampton Roads.

But don't get your hopes up on a lot of things to do. Traditionally, the Virginia counties have enjoyed the benefits of a much higher coal severance tax which has allowed the Virginia side of the border but have slightly better schools and more retail and economic development than the Kentucky side. I'm not saying it's good but for instance in Pennington Gap at least there's a Walmart, though it can be debated if that's a good or bad thing, and several other grocery stores. In Wise County to the north of Lee County there's UVa-Wise that does draw several entertainers yearly and there's several community hospitals. In the peak days of coal I'm thinking Wise County use to be the most populated county in Virginia west of Roanoke. But I would agree that the region has been hard hit over the past 6 years as a number of mines have closed and it's had a ripple effect. From what I hear this has less to do with the coal being harder to reach than power plants that burn coal in this part of the country shutting down due to federal regulations while natural gas is so affordable due to other federal restrictions that limit it being sold overseas. But another discussion for another thread, and I'd agree that's an industry and jobs not likely coming back.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,933 times
Love visiting Cumberland Gap N.P.but other than that just scenic driving in Lee County. Cave Spring is a nice little place to camp as well. As Trevor92 stated Wise County/Norton has more amenities. If you like Bluegrass/Country music there are shows from time to time. High Knob has recently added a few bikes trails and the New Overlook.

This area has tourist potential but just can't put it together. It's hard to develop nice tourism alongside old coal camps, reclaimed strip jobs, abandoned coal tipples,etc. Breaks Interstate Park on the Va-Ky line a little further North is a great place to get away too.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 PM

315 posts, read 210,669 times
I can see I am very late posting to this thread but here goes because I was recently there and it is absolutely stunning. The physical beauty of the land is one thing but the people there are so kind. That said, I have been to Virginia many times - different areas over the years and this was probably my favorite place.

Lee County is the poorest county in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia