Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM

80 posts, read 135,962 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
My family and I live in CT and have for a while been considering moving farther south.

Although my husband probably could, I don't think I could handle the weather in Florida year-round. I think the extremely hot and humid 'summer' weather- which it sounds like lasts way too long- would be just too much for me. I have looked into somewhat (but not yet visited) parts of North and South Carolina. People's descriptions of the heat and humidity in those states too, kind of scare me- although maybe this type of weather doesn't last as long..?

I'm wondering what people here have to say about the weather in VA. We would love to be able to relocate somewhere not far from beaches, but I don't know whether it's doable for us.

We are a family of four- two kids in elementary school. I am a stay at home mom and husband is a software engineer.

Besides input on the weather, I hope to hear from you about areas not too far from the coast where there may be the most options for employment, that are 'family-friendly', with good schools..
Also, is there anyone here who has lived in CT or nearby in the northeast and moved to VA? I would love to get your take on which do you prefer and why? or what do you like/love/dislike/hate about both?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Parts of Va. can be mighty "humid" too! Anything near DC....awful in the summer! DC was a swamp...and still feels like one in the summer!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:40 PM

196 posts, read 318,750 times
Let's see. I lived in Virginia for many years. We recently moved out of that state. It is humid and hot most summers, fall is nice, winter can go either way, and spring is beautiful. Stay away from Northern Virginia close to DC. Much of Virginia's coast is on the Bay, not the sea. Schools vary widely. check them out. I hated the summers and the bugs.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
Let's see. I lived in Virginia for many years. We recently moved out of that state. It is humid and hot most summers, fall is nice, winter can go either way, and spring is beautiful. Stay away from Northern Virginia close to DC. Much of Virginia's coast is on the Bay, not the sea. Schools vary widely. check them out. I hated the summers and the bugs.
Why? Just because of the summer? I think it would be one of the better markets for a software engineer.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 PM

80 posts, read 135,962 times
Thank you to those who have responded so far.

cb at sea and windrunner4484, how long does that "awful 'summer' humidity" last generally in NoVA/ near DC?
windrunner4484, do you mention the bay vs sea because it is a factor in the weather on the coast..?
tgbwc, thank you for your thoughts about the NoVa market for software engineers.
Would you be able to give me an idea as to roughly what area the "NoVa/near DC" covers?
How far away is NoVa from beaches?
And, to any and all, please give me your input on Va's beaches. Are they all great, good? Which do you recommend and why? or why are they not recommended?
Thanks, again!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:49 PM

196 posts, read 318,750 times
No I mentioned it because walking outside in the summer is mostly like walking into a sauna. And yes, tgbwc, it would be better for those in the tech field to be in NOVA, but the housing prices are ridiculous as is the traffic.
The summer humidity starts around mid-June or earlier and goes until October. NOVA is about three hours to Virginia Beach. I have been to Jersey beaches to the Carolinas and I personally prefer North Carolina. Just a personal preference.
Weather on the coast is like coastal weather everywhere. Changeable.
As I said, much of this is personal preference. If you like the hot humid weather, go for it. I've lived both in the tidewater and the mountains. Mountains are better, a bit. Just do your research on wherever you move.
Southern Virginia is a whole other ballgame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: