Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 PM

867 posts, read 1,392,995 times

Advertisements

Some people play because they are trying to grow the sport.

Coughlin: Analyzing 'Hotbeds' By the Numbers | Inside Lacrosse

So you never heard of this dude?Eric Martin (lacrosse) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How bout any of these establishments:757 Ironclads Lacrosse | Hampton Roads Select Travel Lacrosse Team

http://www.facebook.com/757selectlacrosse

Norfolk Neptunes Lacrosse Club - Home

http://www.marlinlaxcamps.com/

Norfolk Collegiate School -> Team Pages -> Spring Teams -> Varsity Boys Lacrosse

www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/norfolk-academy-bulldogs-(norfolk,va)/lacrosse/home.htm

HRLax League this covers Williamsburg to OBX and VA Beach to Suffolk but you can click on teams and go over to choose a team till you find lil' ol' Norfolk.

You can also include Richmond in that. Richmond Lacrosse Club

Code Lacrosse

Lacrosse - SCOR

http://xlsportworld.com/x-l-lacrosse.html-0

Sailing appears to be big in RVA also...it is also Democratic not that Annapolis is the Northeast anyway but Im not gonna waste time with that.
Welcome to Brandermill Sailing Club

Sail Nauticus

Norfolk Naval Sailing Center - Navy Sailing School

We are at the mouth of the Chesapeake where it meets the Atlantic and our area is named from a nautical perspective Hampton Roads

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-07-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,672,458 times
Thanks for the links. That guy's idea that sailing and lacrosse are soley New England activities is funny.

Lacrosse is the new kick ball. Pretty much every culdesac in America has kids playing it in the street.

It is nothing to see lacrosse stickers on cars. Every preppy kid plays it.

And sailing? I've been attending regattas in Gloucester and Mathews for 30 years and they certainly predate me! The sailing camps supplied my sisters with a steady flow of boyfriends. The prep schools in Tidewater all have sailing teams. Sailing is huge in Tidewater...but so are many other things.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,342,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Thanks for the links. That guy's idea that sailing and lacrosse are soley New England activities is funny.

Lacrosse is the new kick ball. Pretty much every culdesac in America has kids playing it in the street.

And sailing? I've been attending regattas in Gloucester and Mathews for 30 years and they certainly predate me! The sailing camps supplied my sisters with a steady flow of boyfriends. The prep schools in Tidewater all have sailing teams. Sailing is huge in Tidewater...but so are many other things.
I never said they were strictly New England sports

Also I said sailing in Norfolk is not as prominent compared to Annapolis? Am I wrong?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Btw 757 the first link you posted just proved my entire point! Thanks! Toodles

Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,672,458 times
To answer the question... There is more sailing in Tidewater but because it is a large area with a huge and diverse economy it isn't promonint. Sailing is Annopolis. Sailing, finance, military, railroad, international trade, ship building, farming, commercial seafood, surfing, history and higher education is Tidewater (Norfolk).

Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Some people play because they are trying to grow the sport.

The above statement is a left over portion of YOUR post in which you claimed Norfolk (in particular) or nowhere else in the south was democratic with a "lacrosse scene and a sailing culture" ...not that Annapolis isn't in the south in the first place. You also went on to say it is not a popular sport here. Everything I posted pertaining to Lacrosse was for that reason. The link in MY first post is below.

So you never heard of this dude?Eric Martin (lacrosse) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Btw 757 the first link you posted just proved my entire point! Thanks! Toodles
Uh, no.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
To answer the question... There is more sailing in Tidewater but because it is a large area with a huge and diverse economy it isn't promonint. Sailing is Annopolis. Sailing, finance, military, railroad, international trade, ship building, farming, commercial seafood, surfing, history and higher education is Tidewater (Norfolk).
Where did you get "there is more sailing in tidewater than Annapolis"? They come up with the top 50 yachting/sailing towns in the U.S. and Norfolk is not listed although Hampton, VA is listed but very low. You are saying these things with no sources.

Here's the list:

50 Best Yachting Towns | Yachting Magazine

You're just saying things out of your mouth and it's not true but you continue even though you're wrong. Do you not realize that the United States Naval Academy is in Annapolis so it's just not "sailing", there is a military presence. Also Annapolis is a suburb of Baltimore and Washington DC. So again it's just not sailing...... Wow.

So Norfolk specifically doesn't have more of a sailing scene than Annapolis which was my initial argument to another poster.

Last edited by Deluusions; 01-08-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
The above statement is a left over portion of YOUR post in which you claimed Norfolk (in particular) or nowhere else in the south was democratic with a "lacrosse scene and a sailing culture" ...not that Annapolis isn't in the south in the first place. You also went on to say it is not a popular sport here. Everything I posted pertaining to Lacrosse was for that reason. The link in MY first post is below.

Uh, no.[/quote]

The link itself says where lacrosse is popular or a hotbed. Virginia is not listed but the DC metro area is ranked 3rd in the country which does not include Norfolk. You before stated that Lacrosse is not new to Virginia but it is..... It's not new to Northern Virginia. You said it yourself there are people trying to grow the sport, what I'm telling you is that lacrosse really started to spread in Virginia in the 90's. Lacrosse began it grow in the west coast and the rest of the country in the early 2000s. Lacrosse isn't popular in Norfolk, and for you to keep arguing that it is popular is funny. You know it's not popular, I never said NO ONE in Norfolk plays lacrosse. There are teams now because it's 2015 and not 2001. You will see a couple of kids with a stick here and there. But are you really trying to argue lacrosse is popular in Norfolk? It's not, then why haven't any schools in Norfolk won a state title. Why did the VHSL recently make a new state title, because the skill gap between Northern VA and the rest of Virginia is too big and not fair.

Here's the article post from Washington Post:

Boys

In the third paragraph of the article it says:

"This year, the first of the new alignment, the VHSL will host a 6A championship game and a 1A-5A playoff game. The move acknowledges the relative prevalence and popularity of lacrosse in Northern Virginia compared to the rest of the state; 6A Northern Virginia schools Chantilly, Langley, and Robinson have combined all eight VHSL titles."

Now back to the other article:

In the second paragraph:

"In the lacrosse world, “hotbed” is used to describe regions in North America in which the sport of lacrosse is prominent. Lacrosse, often considered the fastest sport on two feet, is also growing at the greatest clip, with a 170% increase in participation in the past decade. As a result of this rapid pace, the number of hotbeds has increased."

Basically Norfolk is not a hotbed which is a lacrosse term for popular. That's what I've been trying to explain. So basically you're trying to argue Norfolk is a hotbed. Norfolk is one of those places that lacrosse has increased in popularity over the last decade! Which is a good thing!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks...the context was kinda lost but, yeah. Its more of a prep thing but its been around longer than that poster. Whats funny to me though is how people think that nothing exists in this world unless the "Northeast" says so. Tell people about the origins of America Jamestown/Williamsburg...they still continue to act like the Plymouth Rock story takes precedence. Tell people Thomas Jefferson/James Madison/George Washington (all Virginians) ensured the nations capital would be located in the south in exchange for paying the debts of the other "Northern" colonies...they'll say oh no its too wealthy and affluent "bos-wash" "bos-wash" its the Northeast blah blah blah. A lot of snobby revisionist history going on. They always have been weary of Virginias stature influence/affluence and significance.

SO, you will definitely get a kick out of this tidbit of info The Indian Origins of Lacrosse : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site I always looked at it as a regional thing, but that's just me.

Quote:
LMAO. I agree...it is definitely prominent to the people doing the sailing...LOL. Some stuff you just gotta SMH at.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 01-08-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia