U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,203 posts, read 2,900,838 times

Advertisements

In driving around Franklin and Roanoke county, we've seen folks with real working farms. We've also seen folks with a yard, some chicken wire, and goats.
I'm kind of assuming that in R-noke county...
as long as you aren't close enough to neighbors to cause noise or smell problems, and you have enough room to be fair to the animals, you could have chickens, some goats, a llama or two, some pigs, a donkey, etc.
Am I correct in that assumption? Or are there certain limited "legal" areas for that stuff?
How about Roanoke city? Any idea on whether it is allowed to keep a few animals...providing you have suitable room on your property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 PM

181 posts, read 731,291 times
Default Live stock laws

I doubt very seriously that animals of that type are allowed in Roanoke city. Your best bet is to contact the zoning department for the county or city that you are inquiring about.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:50 AM

486 posts, read 1,305,433 times
Livestock is only permitted if your property is zoned agricultural. I live in a gated community and had a neighbor who decided they wanted to have chickens as pets. They actually built a henhouse, then were told it was not legal and they would have to destroy it. They whined and moaned that they were their pets, not bothering anyone, etc. and finally were allowed to keep I think 2 of the chickens with a bunch of restrictions. The whole thing was stupid, though. Not only are there zoning laws, but a book full of neighborhood covenants they signed before moving in. Ridiculous. This is in the Richmond area (Powhatan Co.), but the laws are the same throughout the state.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,203 posts, read 2,900,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
Livestock is only permitted if your property is zoned agricultural. I live in a gated community and had a neighbor who decided they wanted to have chickens as pets. They actually built a henhouse, then were told it was not legal and they would have to destroy it. They whined and moaned that they were their pets, not bothering anyone, etc. and finally were allowed to keep I think 2 of the chickens with a bunch of restrictions. The whole thing was stupid, though. Not only are there zoning laws, but a book full of neighborhood covenants they signed before moving in. Ridiculous. This is in the Richmond area (Powhatan Co.), but the laws are the same throughout the state.
yeah, I can definitely understand that...gated community, signed good neighbor/quality of life promises, etc. I would never dream of doing that. But I do see these folks that do keep goats, chickens, etc on their (albeit large, and unlikely to bother neighbors) residential property. I guess they are zoned for agriculture. That, or they are counting on their semi-distant/through-the-woods neighbors to not rat them out!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM

181 posts, read 731,291 times
As my husband is a zoning director I could have said. It is only allowed if the property is zoned agricultural, but the fact is. You'd have to check with the zoning department of the particular area to find out.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,458 times
I would like to know if I could have some chickens in Roanoke City. I live in the Hamilton Terrace SE Roanoke any one know???

Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,186 times
Yes, you CAN have chickens in Roanoke City.While I agree that if you live in a community with a HOA, that you signed upon moving into, that you have agreed to "play by the rules" - I have to point out something here.Keeping a small, backyard flock of hens (not roosters) is 1) less bothersome than most any other pet you would have outside and 2) hardly a radical idea, until the last 40 years it was still rather common for most people to have a backyard flock. Think of the Victory Gardens from WWII - chickens were part of this.Urban homesteads help build the community. They help support sustainable growth and a city that can support itself. The food you grow (including eggs) is healthier than most anything you can buy in the grocery store. Chickens can help improve soil quality, rid your yard of pests (fleas, ticks, mosquitos), and they provide an excellent educational opportunity for ourselves and our children.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 14,566 times
This is a link to the roanoke City zoning ordinance on Poultry. The Jest of it is in Roanoke city, you may have up to 10, but not exceed 10 chickens unless you have over 20,000 sq.ft., does NOT have to be zoned A1.,must be neat and tidy must be fenced, no free roaming, not within 50' of another residential home and no roosters because of the noise ordinace. I am a Real Estate agent and this question comes up alot! I hope this helps! Happy Clucking!! Now get out there and raise those Chickens!!

[URL]http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11474&doc_action=whatsnew[/URL]

Sec. 6-95. Limitations on keeping.
No person shall keep, place or maintain more than ten (10) poultry birds on any parcel of real property which contains area less than twenty thousand (20,000) square feet in any area of the city not zoned for agricultural use. No person shall keep, place or maintain more than forty (40) poultry birds on any parcel of real property in any area of the city, except an area zoned for agricultural use or a farm five (5) acres or larger in size. As used in this section, "farm" shall be defined as a parcel of land devoted to production for sale of plants or animals or to the production for sale of plant or animal products useful to man.

(Ord. No. 2443, Ch. 5, 2, 12-11-78)

<A id=TOC.4 name=TOC.4>
Sec. 6-96. Fencing; roaming at large.
All poultry shall be kept in securely and suitably fenced areas, and no fenced area or pen for poultry shall be permitted closer than fifty (50) feet to any house or other building used for residential purposes by anyone other than the person maintaining such poultry or his immediate family. No poultry shall be permitted to roam at large.

Sec. 6-97. Maintenance of area where kept.
Every person maintaining any area for keeping poultry shall keep it clean, sanitary and free from refuse. All poultry feed or other material intended for consumption by poultry shall be kept in containers impenetrable by rats or other rodents, and such containers shall be equipped with tightly fitting caps or lids. The presence of rats in an area used for the keeping of poultry shall be prima facie evidence that such area is maintained in violation of this section.

Last edited by RicherMichelle; 01-05-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 14,566 times
Default This is wrong information, you may have up to 10 chickens in Roanoke city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
I doubt very seriously that animals of that type are allowed in Roanoke city. Your best bet is to contact the zoning department for the county or city that you are inquiring about.
[url=http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11474&doc_action=whatsnew]Municode.com | Online Library[/url]

Last edited by RicherMichelle; 01-05-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,062 times
My brother lives in Roanoke county. He bought a chicken for his 5yr old son as a pet. The chick came home and not but 10 minutes later, the animal control officer stopped by and told my brother that within 24hrs, he must get rid of the chicken or face a $500.00 fine. Needless to say, my tearful nephew watch his dad took the chicken up to the Star mountain and let her go. Who is wrong in this case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia