Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,313 times

Advertisements

Good evening; my name is Jim, I am looking for a quiet retirement community in the Blue Ridge Mountain chain in Virginia. If anyone wants more information about me, my profile is just a click away. ;o)

I won't be moving for a few years at least; I want to get my homework done now. Get as much info as I can before I make the big plunge. ;o)

At any rate, as per SmerkyGrl's request:

-Where you are working
I'll be retired. No job; will be living off my savings.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
Less than $100,000 (absolutely NO properties with HOAs will be considered)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
Commute, shommute. Retired, right? ;o)

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids - I only answered this so people won't think I missed it. ;o)

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Here's what I want: Small house; two car garage. Small town. No excitement. I'm an introverted soul who makes J. D. Salinger look like Paris Hilton. ;o) I will of course be social with my neighbors and help when needed. That said, I don't want Virginia's answer to Beverly Hills. Ever watched John Mellencamp's video 'Small Town'? Like that, but in Virginia. ;o) Low crime rate a must.

-Community amenities important to you
Grocery store. Doctor. Dentist. Restaurant (steakhouses, sushi, and German cuisine get precedence, but not mandatory). Car mechanic that can work on current and antique cars. Maybe a nice historical landmark that'll take me as a part-time worker so I can meet people and supplement my income.

-Pie or cake?
Battenburg cake; checkered black and white. ;o)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:01 PM

1,813 posts, read 4,192,806 times
Madison, VA because it is near the Bavarian Chef. But finding a place under $100K may be difficult. And it's on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge.

Madison, VA Chamber of Commerce - News

The Bavarian Chef

Grottoes, VA
Town of Grottoes - Home
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 PM

363 posts, read 554,011 times
Maybe floyd could work. South of roanoke. Low crime. Basic places for food and such. Not too far from Blacksburg/Christiansburg or roanoke for more major shopping.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,346,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Maybe floyd could work. South of roanoke. Low crime. Basic places for food and such. Not too far from Blacksburg/Christiansburg or roanoke for more major shopping.
I live in Floyd County and you may be right. If the OP will do an advanced search here in the Roanoke sub-forum they will find several long posts that I wrote about all that Floyd has to offer, as well as what it does not have.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I live in Floyd County and you may be right. If the OP will do an advanced search here in the Roanoke sub-forum they will find several long posts that I wrote about all that Floyd has to offer, as well as what it does not have.
Zugor,

I'll do just as you suggest when I'm done writing this post. Thank you for the information. ;o)

In the meantime, I have at least three years to make up my mind, so I can work slowly - or, as they say in Germany, 'nicht schnell'. ;o)

Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
You could also try any of the mountain counties along I-81 between Wytheville and Bristol. Smyth County is a beautiful area and you can probably find something for under $100k, and it's not that far from Bristol/Wytheville.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 AM

419 posts, read 896,532 times
Nelson County and Amherst County have a lot of what you are looking for and are close to both or either Charlottesville and Lynchburg.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,012,443 times
Bedford? Work at the D-Day Memorial?

Good luck! This is a gorgeous area!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,375,341 times
Fancy gap va.
My wife's grandparents retired there from nyc. I was there one time. It was in a higher elevation, lot of small farms, blue ridge pkwy right there. Her granpa was sort of a recluse. He tended his gardens and made jellies and jams. Puttering around his workshop in winter.
My kinda guy. If that's anything like you, then check that area out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia