U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just got offered a tenure position to work at the University in Winchester, VA. I currently live in a pretty diverse area I know that Winchester is rural and not urban and that's fine with me =) I wanted some suggestions of where to live.

We are a bi-racial family I am a dark skin hispanic woman and husband is a fair skin white male. We have two daughters.

Some more information:

Housing budget is up to $500K for a home. I prefer if the kids went to public school and an after-school program. It's very important for the kids to feel welcomed. We are very conservative, but still open minded.

Up to an hour drive for me is ideal.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,859,166 times
Go onto MRIS.com and search in Frederick Co (VA), Shenandoah CO and even Clarke Co. Plenty if nice homes within this price range. The houses with the best mountain views will be in Shenandoah Co. Winchester is a nice area and one you'll like.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 AM

3,897 posts, read 5,347,769 times
Winchester is a great small city! You'll love it. I don't live there but have spent a good bit of time visiting friends there. If you use the search at the top of the Northern Virginia forum, there are already several threads about the city. Then you can come back and ask more specific questions.

Given your housing budget and connection to SU, you'll probably want to stay close to the city. The downtown area is wonderful and there are houses in the city in that price range (look over toward Whittier Acres and the hospital). John Kerr Elementary/Daniel Morgan Middle are the most desirable feeders into John Handley HS. You didn't mention the age of your children.

Winchester is a fairly diverse city for it's size. I don't think you'll have issues.

Be sure to visit the Apple Blossom Festival. The Grand Parade is May 2 this year. It is a great way to get a feel for the city. It's really Small-Town America at it's best.

Best of luck.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,859,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Winchester is a great small city! You'll love it. I don't live there but have spent a good bit of time visiting friends there. If you use the search at the top of the Northern Virginia forum, there are already several threads about the city. Then you can come back and ask more specific questions.

Given your housing budget and connection to SU, you'll probably want to stay close to the city. The downtown area is wonderful and there are houses in the city in that price range (look over toward Whittier Acres and the hospital). John Kerr Elementary/Daniel Morgan Middle are the most desirable feeders into John Handley HS. You didn't mention the age of your children.

Winchester is a fairly diverse city for it's size. I don't think you'll have issues.

Be sure to visit the Apple Blossom Festival. The Grand Parade is May 2 this year. It is a great way to get a feel for the city. It's really Small-Town America at it's best.

Best of luck.

Are you insane? The people of Winchester leave during this to get away from the mess. LOL

Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM

3,897 posts, read 5,347,769 times
Not those on the parade route or people who have friends on the parade route! Party, party, party! House-hop, eat and drink! Oh, you mean there's a parade going on? lol

Seriously, everyone has to experience an Apple Blossom at least once! They're new to the city so it's quite an experience.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 PM

862 posts, read 744,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not those on the parade route or people who have friends on the parade route! Party, party, party! House-hop, eat and drink! Oh, you mean there's a parade going on? lol

Seriously, everyone has to experience an Apple Blossom at least once! They're new to the city so it's quite an experience.
For well over 20 years I had lived in Winchester and I agree with this especially that everyone should experience Apple Blossom at least once in their life as the event is well...so over the top !!!

Really just try to explain to anyone not familiar with the area about how an entire city and county literally shuts down for a festival meaning schools are closed as well as most government services heck even some local Winchester area businesses for the longest time ( and some may still do ) consider the Friday of the bloom a paid holiday !!! I can still remember back in the 70s and 80s even most of the local banks were closed for Apple Blossom. I live in Colorado now and whenever I tell people this I get..well stares.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,624 times
How would you feel about a gated community on a lake? Check out Lake Holiday in Cross Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or