U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 12:05 PM

83 posts, read 96,370 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am from Michigan and looking to move to Virginia, particularly around the Charlottesville or Roanoke. I have been live streaming the news, as well as checking the newspapers and Facebook - and it seems that almost every day there is a fatal car accident in those areas. Are car accidents really that common around there, or am I hearing about the same ones over and over? We live in very flat land, so I was wondering if it had anything to do with the mountains? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM

238 posts, read 252,593 times
I can't speak for Charlottesville, but for Roanoke the area has special concerns. First of all, I 81 around Roanoke
Blacksburg has many steep grades as the highway goes over a mountain. The stretch of I 81 has many curves
and for motorists passing through as well as truckers no: one these days drive with courtesy and speeding
limits are not enforced systematically. The volume of trucks, cars is overwhelming on this 1960 Era road and
with no money from the state to add lanes, good luck folks. Southwest VA legislators have no voice in the
Richmond statehouse so we can see where we're heading. Within Roqnoke there is work being done on 2
interchanges currently which are causing fatal accidents from speeders mainly on this outdated freewy.There is talk of
a new interstate but it's all a little too late.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 PM

6,465 posts, read 16,064,485 times
Almost every day sounds about right. In the U.S. there is a fatal car accident every 16 minutes, or more than 33,000 in a year. Assuming Virginia is "average" there should be almost 3 fatal crashes in VA every day. And then taking into account the population of those media markets as a share of VA's population, one fatal crash every other day sounds about right.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 22,794 times
In regards to Charlottesville, it depends where in the area you live and your commute. I don't recall an auto fatality within the city limits in probably 2 decades. On the other hand, a large majority of travel to and from the city limits usually involves some time on a high speed, curvy, narrow 2 lane country road. Combine that with tired, texting, drunk, and/or drivers thinking they are part of the Formula 1 circuit, deaths will be a result.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:40 AM

Ok thanks I was just wondering. Being 30 minutes from Detroit - our news consists of murder, carjacking and rape (sorry to say). We hardly ever hear about fatal car accidents here. In contrast, I hardly hear about those things in Virginia (one of my main reasons to move), but the majority seems to be of car accidents. Thank you for the insight!!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 AM

401 posts, read 715,846 times
Any fatality in central Virginia has a higher media exposure than most of the rest of the country. If you look at the statistics you can get a better picture over time. Fatalities get better ratings so they will always be the headline or lead.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the insight gregir! Why would fatalities in Virginia has a higher media exposure than anywhere else? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia