Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,157 times

Advertisements

The kids have left the nest and my wife and I are ready to move! Assuming I can get a job in Blacksburg, how does the lifestyle compare?

ABOUT US: I live in a university town of about 65K people where I've also worked for the past 20 years in software development (specifically, communications and distance learning). I'm not old enough to retire, but not young enough to require 24-hour excitement. My wife was raised on a farm, and I fit in better with the lifestyle I experience when visiting my family in Mississippi and Louisiana. We're even thinking about getting a place zoned for horses. My wife is a Civil War history addict. If we move to Blacksburg, I won't be able to rest until we visit Lexington.

ABOUT WHERE WE CURRENTLY LIVE
SMOG: I am geographically in a valley boxed in on three sides by hills/mountains. The smog generated by citys to the west floats east and hangs right where I live. About 60 days a year are pronounced to have "Unhealthful" air (this is published as a service in the newspaper).

TEMPERAMENT: Even being an hour away from metro L.A., driving and attitudes of drivers suck. Twice daily during "rush hour", interstates slow to about 10 miles per hour and intersections of surface streets take 3 to 4 cycles of a traffic signal before you get through. And drivers are beyond rude. While waiting for a signal to change, I allowed a person to exit a business driveway. The driver behind me passed me cursing and flipping me off. And stop signs ... many people literally do not slow down unless there's a cop in view.

CRIME: Just beyond my little community (5 miles) is some of the worst crime in the nation. The gang problem is so bad that residents are aware that you avoid eye contact with adults. If you make eye contact, don't smile. Smiling is like fear sensed by a wild animal: you WILL be confronted.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,749,549 times
Blacksburg is my personal heaven No traffic to speak of, except on (football) game day, graduation, and moving in/out times at the university. I think the town is about 20k without the students, 50k with them. No smog to speak of, since its up in the mountains. Now, if you drive down to Roanoke in the summer, that can be smoggy b/c the valley traps it all in. The university grounds are beautiful (although, I'm biased lol).

One big difference will be weather. You will have 4 seasons in blacksburg. Winters can be cold, windy, and snowy. Not new england snowy, but a few good dumps. I spend 6 years there, and remember a couple 4+ foot snows, and ice storm that took out power and water for a couple days. But, most of the time is 3 to 6 inches of snow about half a dozen times between mid-December and March. It can come as early as the first week in December and as late as the first week in April. Oh, I loved April snows. 4 inches of snow on one day, 65 and sunny the next. Summers are mild for the latitude. I lived there one summer without a/c. Plenty of land outside of town for horses. If you like hiking or biking, its a great area with bike trails all over and the AT nearby.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,297 times
Default Blacksburg vs SoCal

I lived in SoCal about 20 years ago....I have friends who live out there and they all talk about the gangs everywhere now. I think you have to really experience it for yourself I guess. I loved LA then as I was also into the cool,
LA lifestyle. I visited LA about 5 years ago and drove all around and I noticed a major deterioation of the area, even into Orange County! Blacksburg is like going back in time compared to SoCal. The status quo and tradition are highly regarded here. Sometimes I think the locals think George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are coming back to life!! It is really amusing sometimes when I watch the local city council meetings. Most of the locals have never ventured out of this beautiful valley in their lifetimes!! It is a great place to retire. I have been trying to convince an old pal of mine to leave LA and retire here, but he still insists the people are too "backward" here in VA.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,665 times
I grew up in SoCal, and our family has lived in the Baltimore, MD, area for the past 7 years. We are relocating to Roanoke (relatively close to Blacksburg) in two weeks. Though I've only just visited the area and can't speak as a native, I think I can make a couple worthwhile comparisons between SoCal and SW VA.

As far as temperament, I was completely floored by how friendly people in SW VA are. They actually look you in the eye and smile and say "hi." Such a refreshing change from LA and Baltimore! (It'll take some adjustment on my part, but maybe someday I can become as friendly as our new neighbors.)

For crime, we felt very safe in the area, even in the city itself. I'm sure there are some parts of the town that are dangerous, but it seemed much safer than other large cities I've lived near.

I've read a few negative posts about the area, but I really think it all boils down to what you are used to. If you are used to dealing with SoCal, I think you'll find SW VA to be a positive change. I'd recommend visiting the area. When we did, we fell in love with it immediately and knew it was the place for us.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 PM

106 posts, read 471,812 times
I've never been to So Cal but in a way I would say the two places would be worlds apart. I enjoyed Blacksburg when I lived there but I'm a SWVA native. I would think if you're a big city person this place could really bore you to do death. I would say do some research into Appalachia as a region and you would get some prespective on the area, although Blacksburg is a little different cause it host Virginia Tech.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,093 times
I lived in Southern CA for 28 years before moving to Texas, where I've lived almost 29 years. I just this past June took a quick trip to check out SW VA.

I have totally fell in love with it and am considering it to retire. It's beautiful everywhere one drives. I plan to go back again and check out other areas. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't do well there from So. Cal. especially since So. Cal. isn't the lovely place it once was.

I only drove on the Interstate through Blacksburg and even that drive, I thought it quite delightful although I'm looking for a less populated area.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,448 times
Southwest Virginia is an interesting place. You have "big city" (sort of, depends on your comparison) in Roanoke, you have the "hip trendy college scene" in Blacksburg (and somewhat in Radford, but not as much), plus a LOT of small rural towns. I'm pretty sure down in Floyd County, there are still places with no running water (back in "the hills") You have a wide range of area to choose from.
Word of warning about the interstate. Truckers use it as their main north-south route to avoid I-95, and one accident can mess it up for half the day. Learn the back roads if you move to the area!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia