U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2015, 05:41 PM
 
284 posts, read 492,316 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I were hoping to move to the Yorktown Va area next year when my daughter graduates hs as long as my husband is able to transfer within the federal government. However, several people have been telling me that the cost of living is outrageous. We have seen quite a few homes in our price range, but apparently haven't been factoring in what I've been told are horrendous taxes, both on houses and anything with wheels and registration costs for vehicles. Is it really that bad? We live in PA and the only tax we pay on a car is when we buy it. Do you have to pay yearly taxes on them down there? Say it isn't so! We were so looking forward to the possibility of this move. I really didn't want to go any further south than VA since I am not a huge fan of oppressive humidity, tornadoes, and bugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2015, 05:52 PM
 
925 posts, read 2,132,046 times
Reputation: 365
Like most of the South there is a property tax on cars and vehicles. RE taxes are reasonable in Lynchburg area and property is too. Overall COL is low-moderate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,099 posts, read 1,116,162 times
Reputation: 1384
Well, it's important to consider that Yorktown is a fairly affluent suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 03:54 AM
 
Location: VB
414 posts, read 358,786 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I were hoping to move to the Yorktown Va area next year when my daughter graduates hs as long as my husband is able to transfer within the federal government. However, several people have been telling me that the cost of living is outrageous. We have seen quite a few homes in our price range, but apparently haven't been factoring in what I've been told are horrendous taxes, both on houses and anything with wheels and registration costs for vehicles. Is it really that bad? We live in PA and the only tax we pay on a car is when we buy it. Do you have to pay yearly taxes on them down there? Say it isn't so! We were so looking forward to the possibility of this move. I really didn't want to go any further south than VA since I am not a huge fan of oppressive humidity, tornadoes, and bugs!
If your car runs on gasoline, you'll pay a lot more in gas taxes in PA than in VA (about 30 cents a gallon, or $150/year assuming 15k miles per year at a consumption rate of 30 miles per gallon) -- hop on gasbuddy and see how this is reflected in current gas prices. Also, that car sales tax rate is higher in PA (6% (or 7% in Allegheny County, 8% in Philly) vs. 4.05%).

Personal property tax varies by locality. I just paid $205 to Virginia Beach for a car assessed at just over $12k.

I will say that federal employees get a bit of a raw deal in Hampton Roads, as they do not get any special locality pay (it's part of the "Rest of US" group), while over in Richmond -- an area with similar cost-of-living -- they do. (This amounts to about 2% more pay for a GS employee in RVA than one in HR at the same grade and step.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,078 posts, read 5,344,717 times
Reputation: 12573
The RE tax rate in York County is $0.7515 per $100 of assessed value. You can use the link below to search for the homes you're interested to find out the assessed value and then the amount of taxes.

https://www.yorkcounty.gov/CountyGov...ssessment.aspx

Personal Property Tax or Car Tax is $4.00 per $100 of assessed value. Unfortunately, you won't know what your car is going to be assessed at until you receive the notice.

You're also required to have an annual safety inspection and a bi-annual emissions inspection on your vehicles. And renew your car tags/plates every 1 - 2 years which incurs a fee. I'm not sure if PA requires the same, so it's worth mentioning.

FWIW, my understanding is that yes, VA has some extra taxes such as the car tax but even though some other states don't, they will tax you one way or the other so it's pretty much a wash. Such as MD doesn't have a car tax, but their income tax is higher than VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Roanoke VA
238 posts, read 253,696 times
Reputation: 145
Home prices in the Hampton Roads area are climbing. Compared to Roanoke, Lynchburg that area is becoming a more expensive place to live, for some reason. I heard the Navy has something to do with higher real estate in that area. As a state,
VA is a fairly wealthy state. I believe it is in the top 10 rank. BTW, NC is a very poor state overall which is not the image of a state
with some dynamic cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM
 
4,316 posts, read 2,241,703 times
Reputation: 5569
You do know that Yorktown is in the Tidewater area and there will be both humidity and bugs. COL there is not notably higher than any other similar size metro. Now Northern VA is the expensive part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: VB
414 posts, read 358,786 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
The RE tax rate in York County is $0.7515 per $100 of assessed value. You can use the link below to search for the homes you're interested to find out the assessed value and then the amount of taxes.

https://www.yorkcounty.gov/CountyGov...ssessment.aspx

Personal Property Tax or Car Tax is $4.00 per $100 of assessed value. Unfortunately, you won't know what your car is going to be assessed at until you receive the notice.
York County gives a deep (55%) discount off of the personal property tax from the first $20k of assessed value of personal-use vehicles. (PPTRA)

Quote:
You're also required to have an annual safety inspection and a bi-annual emissions inspection on your vehicles. And renew your car tags/plates every 1 - 2 years which incurs a fee. I'm not sure if PA requires the same, so it's worth mentioning.
Emissions inspections are not required outside of Northern Virginia.

Quote:
FWIW, my understanding is that yes, VA has some extra taxes such as the car tax but even though some other states don't, they will tax you one way or the other so it's pretty much a wash. Such as MD doesn't have a car tax, but their income tax is higher than VA.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 04:15 AM
 
1,688 posts, read 1,345,049 times
Reputation: 1692
Outside of NoVA I don't find Virginia to be expensive at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 05:15 AM
 
998 posts, read 875,546 times
Reputation: 1065
Neither do I, curious.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top