U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 04:58 AM

43 posts, read 67,294 times

Advertisements

Typically my wife and I travel to Hatteras Island every summer with my 2 sons, their wives and our grandchildren. However this time next year one son will have a one year old baby in tow. We would like to go to Smith Mountain Lake as my son with the expecting wife lives in Charlottesville.

I was very surprised at the high rental rates at Smith Mountain Lake. 25% to 30$ higher than much nicer places on Hatteras Island. While I know some say "U get what U pay for" after 20 years of renting at Hatteras, Adirondacks, Galveston and Deep Creek Lake in MD I find that is not rue. You get what you are early enough to research in detail,

Anyone have any suggestions. Typically at Hatteras we rent 4 to 5 brm place in late June maybe one to 2 houses back from ocean for total $2500 a week.

Thanks

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,656 times
No idea what the rental prices are at Smith Mountain Lake, but have you considered Lake Anna? About an hour from Charlottesville. Seen lots of large houses for rent on VRBO. Know my neighbor has been renting his for $2500/week this summer.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:42 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,301,363 times
You know "Dirty Dancing" was partially filmed at Smith Mountain Lake? My parents were there when they were shooting parts of that movie!

Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 PM

238 posts, read 253,778 times
Smith Mountain Lake is a beautiful place but it is not as "tourist friendly" as Hatteras or other more popular destinations.
Originally the lake was a popular getaway from nearby Roanoke, Lynchburg but it later evolved into a more exclusive
real estate rerirement destination for affluent homeowners. In other words, the folks who live there year round prefer to be
left alone. There are few rental homes, Hotels, etc to attract tourists. The lake is quite crowded already with lots of boats.
Think of it as a more exclusive enclave something like a Hilton Head? Or even a larger version of Lake Monticello? Its worth a
visit when you're in the area!

Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You know "Dirty Dancing" was partially filmed at Smith Mountain Lake? My parents were there when they were shooting parts of that movie!
That was actually Mountain Lake, in Giles County the other side of Blacksburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or