U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,749 times

Advertisements

Shall I pay?

I recently got stopped speeding in virginia doing 95 in a 65 zone, pretty stupid. The officer told me that I would have to appear in court in febuary. The thing is that I'm both a UK and US citizen. I had no licence on me at the time as I had recently lost my UK licence. I do have a social security number though which the officer took.

My question is, seeing as I do not have a US licence and will be leaving California (my current address) in April is their any reason to pay the fine or appear in court, I'm guessing that it will be a couple $100s which I really don't have? If I just ignore it will this affect my ability to get a US licence some time in the future or can they stop me from entering the country?

thanks for any input on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,267,963 times
If I were you I would call the UK embassy and ask for advice. I have a Swedish friend who had a similar situation but since he was a Swedish citizen and heading back to Scandinavia the next week the officer told him to go home and forget about the whole thing.
Now that was in 1993, things surely are different these days. Call the embassy.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 AM

555 posts, read 2,437,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooinabox View Post
Shall I pay?

I recently got stopped speeding in virginia doing 95 in a 65 zone, pretty stupid. The officer told me that I would have to appear in court in febuary. The thing is that I'm both a UK and US citizen. I had no licence on me at the time as I had recently lost my UK licence. I do have a social security number though which the officer took.

My question is, seeing as I do not have a US licence and will be leaving California (my current address) in April is their any reason to pay the fine or appear in court, I'm guessing that it will be a couple $100s which I really don't have? If I just ignore it will this affect my ability to get a US licence some time in the future or can they stop me from entering the country?

thanks for any input on this matter.
They will either try you in your absense and impose a large fine (much higher than 100. With the civil fines it will be in the 1,000's.) Or more likely because of the high speed they would issue a capias/arrest warrant for your failure to appear. If you are never going to come back to Va., i wouldn't worry about it. If you do come back you would go to jail if an officer stops you.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,634,468 times
Normally going that fast requires more then just paying the fine. Stupid things like mandatory court appearance and mandatory driver education.

What others said is true. An arrest warrent will be issued on your name and if you do get stopped again on future visits you will be arrested. The trick here is not all states have reciprocating DMV cooperation with eachother. It is easy for a cop to run a full country wide check but most will not if you dont give them reason to be suspicious.

Im telling you this because if you got a lets say new Florida license and ignored your California license you might get away with it if you are stopped in Florida while you are dead meat getting stopped in Cali. If that Florida cop did a nationwide check you are also dead meat.

If you are not coming back then just laugh at the ticket. If you do need to come back then it is just easy to pay the extortion. If you are doing this much travel then money is obviously not a problem for you.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,749 times
Thanks for the info, so if they issue me an arrest warrant does that mean if I came back, in say 10 years and tried to get a californian licence then could they stop me. Will I be a wanted man in just virginia or in all states? Thanks Guys.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Normally going that fast requires more then just paying the fine. Stupid things like mandatory court appearance and mandatory driver education.

What others said is true. An arrest warrent will be issued on your name and if you do get stopped again on future visits you will be arrested. The trick here is not all states have reciprocating DMV cooperation with eachother. It is easy for a cop to run a full country wide check but most will not if you dont give them reason to be suspicious.

Im telling you this because if you got a lets say new Florida license and ignored your California license you might get away with it if you are stopped in Florida while you are dead meat getting stopped in Cali. If that Florida cop did a nationwide check you are also dead meat.

If you are not coming back then just laugh at the ticket. If you do need to come back then it is just easy to pay the extortion. If you are doing this much travel then money is obviously not a problem for you.
Just fyi, that was true a while back but stuff has changed BIGTIME with L.E. Most Departments have the techonology that automatically runs your name through all the systems.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooinabox View Post
Thanks for the info, so if they issue me an arrest warrant does that mean if I came back, in say 10 years and tried to get a californian licence then could they stop me. Will I be a wanted man in just virginia or in all states? Thanks Guys.
More than likely just in Va. They wouldnt extradite for that charge. Just don't come back, you'll be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or