U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM

325 posts, read 605,330 times

Advertisements

Not too familiar with the Virginia beach area. Are there any quite places on the beach or surrounding beach towns or is it all built up, college age bar drinking? Looking to take my wife for an upcoming weekend. Just looking for a quite town, family friendly, not interested in bars or nightlife, one or 2 restaurants and a nice beach to relax on? Any info on hotels or cottages would be helpful too. Hopefully between my research and some help here I can find something quaint.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:26 AM

11,363 posts, read 20,154,735 times
This is the Va. Beach forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/

Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM

5,082 posts, read 5,346,651 times
Check out Sandbridge.

It's located just below VA Beach so it's quieter, less crowded yet easy to get into VA Beach if you want to get on the boardwalk, etc.

Check vrbo.com or homeaway.com for rentals.

My sister and her family have booked a condo at The Sanctuary for their vacation this month. Virginia Beach Vacation Rentals Search | Virginia Beach Rentals Search | Sandbridge Beach Rentals Search

Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM

Awesome. Didn't realize Hampton Roads was va beach area. Thank you

Old 07-13-2015, 02:11 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,299,098 times
You will not find a "frat party" atmosphere anywhere in Va. Beach resort area....they don't allow "shenanigans"!!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:29 AM

951 posts, read 1,290,346 times
If you are coming down from PA Chincoteague sounds much more like what you are looking for. Welcome to the Chincoteague Island, Virginia First Official Tourist page It is a village with a few b&bs, hotels and restaurants next to the Assateague ocean beaches. Assateague is a National Park Seashore so you won't find any buildup other than the Park Service Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center. Unlike VB and Ocean City, Chincoteague attracts mostly families and retirees.

Virginia Beach gets rowdy and loud in the summer, particularly on weekends. Ocean City, even more so.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM

ersatz-looking into chincoteague. Seems ideal. Can you swim off the shores there ie: are there waves off the shore?

Old 07-14-2015, 03:39 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,346 times
I'm afraid I can't help you with that because I've always gone to Chincoteague in the off season. In January (utterly deserted) and on a very warm weekend (mostly deserted) in March. Apparently, there is a lifeguard area between Labor and Memorial Day. Assateague State Park: Beachfinder Selection As in most of the midAtlantic area, riptides and undertows are very common so be aware of that and take it into account. Keep an eye on the weather as storms hundreds of miles offshore can kick up some rough surf, riptides, and undertow on the Assateague beaches.

I like to stay at the Refuge Inn right in front of the pedestrian bridge to the Island. Refuge Inn is nothing fancy but rooms are comfy, they have an indoor pool (nice in January), and they rent bikes. The bikes are great for popping over the bridge onto Assateague and riding up and down the Refuge roads - what there are of them.

When I went in March it was kind of a surreal experience. The weather was warm enough to lie around on the ocean beach, which I had all to myself. But since I was the only visitor in the morning, I found myself leading a lengthy circus parade down the beach of ponies, deer, seabirds, squirrels, chipmunks, and other not-so-wild denizens of the wild looking to score some handouts.

NASA's Flight Facility Wallops Island is nearby and open for tours. There's a BIG caveat I need to mention. Due to Wallops Island and the Wildlife Refuge, most of the nearby areas are not sprayed for mosquitoes as done in heavily touristed area. Bring bug spray. Lots of it. As in, maybe, gallon drums of it. Just kidding (not really). Hats with netting would not be a bad idea. Mosquitoes and midges aren't so bad during the day if you are used to that sort of thing but the local swarms can be fearsome at dawn and twilight.

Since you don't seem that familiar with our local beaches, there's one more warning I need to give you. Watch out for Sea Nettles. If you don't know what these are, trust me that you don't want to find out the hard way in an encounter. When you see a lovely mid-Atlantic beach with perfect weather in late summer, but no one is going in the water, Sea Nettles are the reason why. They are prevalent in late summer all along the East Coast. NOAA usually has an advisory map Forecasting Sea Nettles - Remote Sensing for Coastal Management - chesapeakebay.noaa.gov but it's not working right now. As a guideline, I can tell you that Sea Nettles are most prevalent in high salinity. They tend to go out more to sea during recent rains and swarm close to shore during droughts. If you see them, then there are thousands more you don't see. Stay out of the water then. They tend to move in close to the beaches during July, August, and September though this will vary with local currents and recent rains.

Chincoteague in summer is fun if you love quaint towns and nature. It is really lovely in the spring and autumn after the crowds have gone and much cheaper too. It has a stern and windswept beauty in the winter. A number of tourist businesses close for the off season but a few shops and restaurants stay open as do the hotels. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by ersatz; 07-14-2015 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-15-2015, 03:42 AM

1,757 posts, read 3,243,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You will not find a "frat party" atmosphere anywhere in Va. Beach resort area....they don't allow "shenanigans"!!!!
Was this a sarcastic post? There seem to have been periodic "shenanigans" at Virginia Beach.
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/conc...front-violence

I realize that this most recent beach week for this event was calm.

To the OP, check out the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Many people in Hampton Roads go there rather than Virginia Beach.
Good luck!

Last edited by TN Lily; 07-15-2015 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-15-2015, 04:21 AM

1,757 posts, read 3,243,549 times
[

Last edited by TN Lily; 07-15-2015 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or