Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:02 PM

25 posts, read 26,190 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

My husband and I have been looking to relocate our family to somewhere cooler. We currently live in Oklahoma, before that we lived in Michigan. So we are on the hunt for the happy medium. As far as location goes we need to be within a few hours of Spotsylvania, VA (that is where a close friend lives and the main reason we are looking to VA) Job wise we do not have set careers yet. My husband has lots of factory work, construction, and other odd jobs. I have customer service background with insurance and currently I work hospital registration. So options for jobs needs to be availale, and of course a lower cost of living/housing/ect. We do not mind winter weather, as long as it isn't as horrible as Michigan has been the past few years (months below 0). We have 3 children, two are in elementary school, so great schools is needed, doesn't matter if private or public. We would love to live near mountains. I hope some place is out there that will work for our family! Please let me know if anyone has an idea on a location we can look into.

THANKS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Winchester. Has what you're looking for and is well within reach of Spotsylvania,

Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 AM

Thanks I will look into that area.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Winchester has been growing steadily for some time now but still far enough from DC to be the country. Surrounded by mountain areas and close to many jobs. I really like the area.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:50 PM

After doing some research, it seems like th COL is a little high, rent starting at 900 or so? Is this true? Is this the norm for VA?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenloyer89 View Post
After doing some research, it seems like th COL is a little high, rent starting at 900 or so? Is this true? Is this the norm for VA?
Rent is lower compared to the much denser NOVA area but you can find cheaper rent further south in VA. But with cheaper rent typically comes fewer jobs or at least lesser paying jobs.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM

That is true, just hoping to find that happy medium. Thank you!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
It might be helpful if you could describe the type of housing that is acceptable -- house, townhouse, apartment, mobile? I'm assuming at least three bedrooms mimimum. Are you looking for a rural or suburban community? And the maximum sales price or monthly rent.

Also, you mention public or private schools. What type of private would you be interested in?

Mention hobbies/interests that are important.

It does sound like a smaller city in the Valley (Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Staunton) might work. You can rule out Northern Virginia, Richmond, Charlottesville because of cost of living. You could look at smaller towns around the smaller cities such as Amherst near Lynchburg or the Danville area.

Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Well as far as housing goes we would rather a house over a apartment, townhouses are ok. As far as mobile homes, I wouldn't mind as long as a tornado risk is generally low in that area, I am not to sure on how the weather is there.

I know I said either or but honestly I would like public due to the costs of private. How is home schooling in VA?

The most important thing is being able to enjoy nature without it being too hot or too cold. We left one extreme for the other and just hate it.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:11 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Homeschooling is very popular in Virginia. The Home School Legal Defense Association is based in Loudoun County (Northern Virginia -- very expensive area). But you shouldn't have trouble finding other families that are home schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia