Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 PM

336 posts, read 716,064 times

Advertisements

How much is the personal property tax in VA and what is it based on? Is it really more expensive to live in VA than WV by that much? Since both charge personal property tax and the home property taxes seem pretty similar, I can't figure out why people say there's such a difference.

I know medically speaking, Winchester and University of VA are the hospitals that the bad cases get sent to.

We want land. Something with a lake or a running stream would be awesome. The biggest thing is land (well...and safety, schools or a homeschooling friendly area). Eventually, we want to build a small home on the property for my in-laws.

We have always lived in small towns too and I love them. I love having a main street, parades (where we live now we have a Christmas parade and people actually yell Merry Christmas), town events, etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,651 times
Because land values and home values are higher on average in Virginia than West Virginia, leading to a higher tax asessment on property. Plus some counties and independent cities also require a county/city tax decal to put on a vehicle in Va, where WV does not. Virginia has more flat land/suitable for farming and agriculture whereas WV has hilly, mountainous terrain and which make land values higher per acre in VA.

On the flip side of it, car insurance and homeowners insurance are cheaper in Va, plus gas, milk and eggs are too. Better highways, more infrastructure, excellent schools, and hospitals as well, along with more opportunity for youth and a better job market.

But when you live in WV, you can be free and do your own thing, live and let live. Virginia does seem more like a police state, and everybody wants to call the law on somebody. I've never seen more law callers in my life.

I think the better deal on land and freedom will be in WV but a higher quality of life and opportunity will be in Va. It just depends on what part of each state you decide to look into.

I'd suggest the New River Valley/Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Giles County or Abingdon/Bristol in Virginia.

Beckley/Lewisburg/Greenbrier County/Summers County/Monroe County/ or Mercer County in West Virginia.

Cheapest Land overall will be in good Ole MacDowell County,WV, but they won't be any Christmas parades

Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Because land values and home values are higher on average in Virginia than West Virginia, leading to a higher tax asessment on property. Plus some counties and independent cities also require a county/city tax decal to put on a vehicle in Va, where WV does not. Virginia has more flat land/suitable for farming and agriculture whereas WV has hilly, mountainous terrain and which make land values higher per acre in VA.

On the flip side of it, car insurance and homeowners insurance are cheaper in Va, plus gas, milk and eggs are too. Better highways, more infrastructure, excellent schools, and hospitals as well, along with more opportunity for youth and a better job market.

But when you live in WV, you can be free and do your own thing, live and let live. Virginia does seem more like a police state, and everybody wants to call the law on somebody. I've never seen more law callers in my life.

I think the better deal on land and freedom will be in WV but a higher quality of life and opportunity will be in Va. It just depends on what part of each state you decide to look into.

I'd suggest the New River Valley/Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Giles County or Abingdon/Bristol in Virginia.

Beckley/Lewisburg/Greenbrier County/Summers County/Monroe County/ or Mercer County in West Virginia.

Cheapest Land overall will be in good Ole MacDowell County,WV, but they won't be any Christmas parades

Just a little bit of an over exaggeration here. I've been in VA since 73 and disagree with this statement. Maybe where you live you've seen some issues but you can't claim this about the entire state as it's not true.

OP. I've never lived in WV although I'm there all the time. I prefer VA over WV for a variety of reasons but if land is a requirement then WV might be better for you. Check out Frederick and Shenandoah counties as this puts you in close proximity to Winchester.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
Quote:

The third paragraph is truely bizarre. Where have you " seen" these "law callers"? Was it at a law caller festival in Va Beach with a heavy police presence and Nazi trinket booths?!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:27 AM

336 posts, read 716,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Just a little bit of an over exaggeration here. I've been in VA since 73 and disagree with this statement. Maybe where you live you've seen some issues but you can't claim this about the entire state as it's not true.

OP. I've never lived in WV although I'm there all the time. I prefer VA over WV for a variety of reasons but if land is a requirement then WV might be better for you. Check out Frederick and Shenandoah counties as this puts you in close proximity to Winchester.
May I ask why you prefer it?

We've spent a good bit of time in Martinsburg because my best friend lives there and have never had any trouble and she swears by it, but things have come up in my research that is concerning. While we have always had a nice time there, we never really saw it as "home", but I guess my husband and I are so tired of upstate NY, this past week when we were there, we began to.

We haven't spent much time in Winchester. We've actually only driven through it (and have spent the night on occasion in Stephens City), but we loved it. It reminds us of Saratoga quite a bit and aside from the cost of living, we do love it where we are. It's just the cost of living here has become a big enough issue, we're tired of just getting by.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 PM

238 posts, read 338,188 times
I live in Va but a few years ago I was invited to the Lewisburg/Marlinton WV area. Snowshoe Resort is awesome for skiing and
the outdoor activities of kayaking, white water rafting, camping in a clean WV state park is far superior to Va. Once you get to
know West Virginians they can be very hospitable. It is a great outdoor type of life that someone from a big city could never
comprehend the peace, serenity the area offers. Pocahontas County WV is a huge county and just about everyone knows
everyone else. What a refreshing place, a very rare unspoiled place!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,651 times
Isn't there a thread titled,"Does Virginia feel like a Police State?" somewhere on C-D on the Virginia Forum?

I can't speak for the whole Great State of Virginia as being a State full of Law Callers, but per capita I bet 911 calls and police calls are higher in Virginia than West Virginia, of course I have no source to back that claim up.

I'm sure the easy life living on Poquoson there's no need to call the law.

It was quite a bizarre statement, that's what I tend to make on here, irrational and bizarre statements. But of course that's just my opinion, I'm no professional commenter.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Isn't there a thread titled,"Does Virginia feel like a Police State?" somewhere on C-D on the Virginia Forum?

I can't speak for the whole Great State of Virginia as being a State full of Law Callers, but per capita I bet 911 calls and police calls are higher in Virginia than West Virginia, of course I have no source to back that claim up.

I'm sure the easy life living on Poquoson there's no need to call the law.

It was quite a bizarre statement, that's what I tend to make on here, irrational and bizarre statements. But of course that's just my opinion, I'm no professional commenter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia