U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 PM

102 posts, read 375,562 times
Default Back Creek Elementary School...

Any opinions on this school...it feeds into Cave Spring Middle and High School...I know it is small which I like for an elementary school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 AM

232 posts, read 1,154,650 times
You will definitely like the area. Yes, it is a small school with a rural feel. As with all the other elementary schools in the County, teacher / student ratio's are excellent. I have known some people whose kids attended and they were very pleased. I couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't like that area.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 AM

102 posts, read 375,562 times
Thanks for the input Steven! We are moving to Roanoke in June and I've come across some homes I like that are in the BC district. We will visit some of the elementary schools in March...I'm trying to gather any info I can prior to then. I've heard while most any of the SW County elem schools are very good, they are not cookie cutter schools. Just trying to find a good fit for our 3 kids and us. I know that area is more rural but when I mapped it out as far as drive time it was virtually the same as mapping out some houses we looked at in Oak Grove district. This was mapping out to the main Carilion hospital. They both showed about 20 minutes. Does that seem accurate?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 PM

232 posts, read 1,154,650 times
Yeah, 20-30 minutes is no problem from there to Carilion. You are absolutely correct about the schools not being cookie cutter schools. Something else I loathe about where I live now. It appears that when they build a new school, they just recycle old architectural plans. Boring.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 PM

108 posts, read 189,108 times
Default Back Creek Elementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMomto3 View Post
Any opinions on this school...it feeds into Cave Spring Middle and High School...I know it is small which I like for an elementary school
Hi again,

Back Creek Elementary is a nice elementary school. I forgot to mention it in my last post, sorry! They have a great PTA and parent participation. The only problem (if it bothers you) is that it's "up the mountain." Going up Bent Mountain in the winter can sometimes be tricky (and icy!) and Back Creek Elem is right on Bent Mtn Rd.

Also, cell phone reception on Bent Mtn is iffy, at best, once you get past Cotton Hill Road (Back Creek is past Cotton Hill).

One thing to consider when living on (or off on a side area of) Bent Mountain Rd, is that everything (EVERYTHING) is a schlep! My friends who live on Bent Mountain call coming down Bent Mtn Rd "going to town." It may not be a problem when your children are small, but once they start doing things -- having social lives, participating in sports, etc., it can be a real inconvenience.

Good luck with your search!
happygal0000

Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 6,926 times
Hi I'm new to these boards and hope to get to know posters on here! My daughter just started Pre-K at Back Creek Elementary and loves it! We live in Inwood and have to travel that mtn 4 days a week to get her to school and pick her up too. I hate all the winding roads and is very slick when it rains, so can't imagine what its like in the winter. Thats all for now! Have to leave soon to pu daughter from school!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Also, I noticed that you have no cellphone signal until almost Inwood! Thats ridiculous especially if its an emergency and need to call hubby or even 911! What are we supposed to do in that case?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,447,318 times
Default Inwood?

This is in the Roanoke Va. area I think your speaking of somewhere in West Va? I have never heard of inwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailqueen75 View Post
Hi I'm new to these boards and hope to get to know posters on here! My daughter just started Pre-K at Back Creek Elementary and loves it! We live in Inwood and have to travel that mtn 4 days a week to get her

Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Oh, is there a Back Creek Elementary there too? Yes, I'm talking about the WV school! Sorry!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 AM

I'm sorry I thought that this was talking about WV Back Creek Elementary. I didn't realize that there was same school in VA. I won't be back on here again! Bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia