Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 768 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

My situation might be a little hard to grasp but the start date for my unit was july 24th. On July 24, I paid 1100$ in rent. My landlord then proceeded to charge me 1100$ on August 1st for the month of August. When confronted that the rate should be prorated, the leasing company stated that it is policy not to prorate and that they have never prorated in the past. However, my rent was prorated when I was living last year and I know this for a fact. When told, they then changed what they said to "this company is under new management and it is policy that we do not prorate" However, I have a friend who signed a lease on the 26th and they had a prorated rent for the remaining 5 days of July. The manager then proceeded to state that it is the norm for student housing in Virginia to do this. The lease does state that 1099$ is due for the remainder of the first month (and I know I should have read the lease) but is there anything I can do to challenge the office to give me a prorated rent? We obviously were not made clear of this when we rented the unit and signed the lease agreement electronically where we trusted the company as we have done business with them in the past. I am considering taking up the issue with the better business bureau but is there anything else I can do to pressure the company into complying? Or is it a lost hope?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
Many schools have an office that assists students with off-campus housing. Communicate with them. They may have some suggestions on dealing with this landlord. Perhaps if this landlord knows that you are letting this school office know of this landlord's policy and that other students should avoid this landlord, it will relent and pro-rate your rent.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:30 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Expensive life lesson. Read the lease.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
If it's written in the lease and you signed it, you have no legal recourse.

However, you can give TN Lily's suggestion a shot. It can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: