Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 06:16 AM

14 posts, read 14,343 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm from Charlotte, N.C and travelling to Niagara Falls and got clocked at 86 on a 65 on my rental car (ford fusion), until that I was at 79, cruise control locked and in order to overtake a semi and another car which are going at the same/similar speed, I did went to 83 and suddenly I saw a slope and I applied brake to slow down, that split second vehicle went to 85 and then I saw a cop;
Totally it looked like, I started going speed, saw the cop and applied brakes.

He turned on the lights and is pulling over from the meridian (parking spots for cops/troopers in the middle of the highway) and I understood it is for me and pulled over immediately to the right of the road (safe enough).

He gave me a Reckless driving ticket and also mentioned, "If you attend the trial, I will say that you're polite and co-operated with me".

Then I read about 20+ of posted speed limit is Reckless and considered Class 1 Misdemeanor(after I came back from my trip).
Happened on Sept 5th and a court date is 11-6-2015, which I may not be in the country.
I'm going to India for stamping (F-1 to Work permit visa and in case if they don't allow me back, I don't have 2500$ to pay anytime)

I would like to avoid jail, but I'm willing to pay a fine, since I'm a contractor, developer and taking a day off is same as 200-300$ fine (I'm really not showing an attitude here), and I ride/own a motorcycle and riding from Charlotte for the court will be re-considered (if advisable, I'll go).

Can I take a driver's course in a different state before going to Virginia or it should be in Virginia only?
I would like to take that test and send the certificate to my lawyer and ask him to represent me if in the event I cannot attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Reckless Driving Charge

Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 AM

I called few offices:

A: 650$ to take up my case, but gave detailed/proper information and asked me a lot of questions too.
B: 300$ to take up my case, general questions, sounds good.
C: 200$ fee for them and says 366$ court fee if I don't take the class and 216$ court fee if I take the class (are those fixed prices from court? everybody get charged the same way?
D: 495$ attorney fee + court fee, the expensive price is because, they are 45 mins away from the court and they added that fare into the fee.
Due to D's past experience: Judge didn't care for the exam that was taken before (for some other person), so she told me to hold off on the exam.

Along with the fee, they need a Driver's history, and Original certificate which is an outcome of my 8-hr class from AAA.

I would like to stick to B or C, but C sounds fishy, please advise.

I called AAA about class and they will charge 70$ for 8 hr class with 30$ (change of date fee in case)

Last edited by raja777m; 09-09-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 02:04 PM

bump

Old 09-09-2015, 03:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Hire one of the lawyers and talk with them. Kind of wasting your time with us now that you've started calling lawyers.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:49 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raja777m View Post
Hello, I'm from Charlotte, N.C and travelling to Niagara Falls and got clocked at 86 on a 65 on my rental car (ford fusion), until that I was at 79, cruise control locked and in order to overtake a semi and another car which are going at the same/similar speed, I did went to 83 and suddenly I saw a slope and I applied brake to slow down, that split second vehicle went to 85 and then I saw a cop;
Totally it looked like, I started going speed, saw the cop and applied brakes.

He turned on the lights and is pulling over from the meridian (parking spots for cops/troopers in the middle of the highway) and I understood it is for me and pulled over immediately to the right of the road (safe enough).

He gave me a Reckless driving ticket and also mentioned, "If you attend the trial, I will say that you're polite and co-operated with me".

Then I read about 20+ of posted speed limit is Reckless and considered Class 1 Misdemeanor(after I came back from my trip).
Happened on Sept 5th and a court date is 11-6-2015, which I may not be in the country.
I'm going to India for stamping (F-1 to Work permit visa and in case if they don't allow me back, I don't have 2500$ to pay anytime)

I would like to avoid jail, but I'm willing to pay a fine, since I'm a contractor, developer and taking a day off is same as 200-300$ fine (I'm really not showing an attitude here), and I ride/own a motorcycle and riding from Charlotte for the court will be re-considered (if advisable, I'll go).

Can I take a driver's course in a different state before going to Virginia or it should be in Virginia only?
I would like to take that test and send the certificate to my lawyer and ask him to represent me if in the event I cannot attend.
good grief

Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
You were speeding, pay it and stop trying to split hairs.....

Old 09-26-2015, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
You would have to be at the trial. If not, then call and have the date postponed to a date that you can attend. You can have the court date postponed a month or more in advance. You can hire a lawyer, or you don't have to hire a lawyer. You will not face jail time either way. More than likely they will reduce the charge from reckless whether you show up with a lawyer or not. I would take the class to reduce the points on your license no matter what the outcome would be. But the court would care less about the driving class that you are about to take. But I would still bring it up.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
My friend got a speeding ticket, when everyone else was going faster than she.....she asked why? He said, "because I could catch you"! So there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia